Vet Visit

Guest Hounded

Guest Hounded

Hi there,

My name is Tina, and I have a seemingly very healthy, almost 8 year old greyhound named Puma. I've had her for about two and a half years.

Long story short, I took her into the vet's office yesterday, as she seems to have a bladder infection. For about a month and a half, she has been going to the bathroom in the house about once or twice a week, which isn't like her.

The vet wanted to do both a urinanalysis and bloodwork. Yesterday's visit alone cost me $377 altogether, including the antibiotics that were prescribed. I do live in Orange County, CA, but that seems more than excessive. I brought her in in April for a simple bout of diarrhea, and that cost me $400 just for that.

Well, I get a call from the vet today telling me he has the results back for the bloodwork. From what he told me, you would think my appearingly healthy dog was about to keel over any minute. Apparently not only does she have a severe bladder infection, but she also has compromised kidneys, a very low white cell count, high levels of billyroobin (sp?), and the beginnings of jaundice. He told me he is going to do more research tonight, but she may require a couple of days hospitalization hooked up to iv's to get her back to normal.

As I said, she seems completely fine to me - I take her to the dog park, and she runs and plays with the other dogs. I come home at night, and she wags her tail, and is otherwise energetic, at least for a greyhound.

I am going to get a second opinion, as I have the feeling this is going to cost me an arm and a leg if I agree to this. I would do anything for my dog, but I want to make sure that her treatment is also necessary, and she's not just being poked and prodded so I can give my vet more money. I was wondering if anybody here could give me some additional insight to this - if my feelings are off base, and something indeed may be wrong with her, or if I may indeed be taken advantage of.

Tina

For that kind of money they better give you a copy of the actual lab results.

If you post them here many can respond who know how to interpret the values.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Certainly if you are concerned about this, I would ask the vet to give you a printout of all the lab results. Ask around (maybe at the dog park, or any dog-owning friends) to find out who is happy with their vet and see if you can get a consultation with them to help you interpret the results. I'd call ahead of time to see what their office visit fee is and also explain when you call what you are looking for.

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with those types of figures, but you could post them and maybe also consult with your adoption group? As we know, sometimes greys have different results than other breeds. And if you don't have confidence in your vet, absolutely get a different one. I had a similar experience of an over-prescribing vet and found a better one, and I was much happier!

Guest spider9174

is your vet grey savvy? the bloodwork for greys is different for other breeds, so it always helps to make sure your vet is grey savvy and if he isn't, he is willing to read up on them.

i would also insist you get a copy of the results.

how long have you had your grey? sometimes it takes a while after being on the track for their BUN/Creatinine levels to equilibrate.

my grey actually has high BUN/Creatinine levels. his urinalysis is always fine, so we don't feel there is a problem with his kidneys. he is actually on the high end for greyhounds, so it was a little alarming at first. we now have 4 sets of blood work to compare to now. he, too, is a happy guy. not lethargic, no eating problems, not vommitting, etc.

also, by all means, get a second opinion, espeically if that will help make you feel better.

here are a couple of helpful websites:

http://www.greythealth.com/

http://www.greyhoundresearch.com/

prayers and i 2nd another opinion. remember though your grey may act fine but there could be a problem. they don't always show symptoms.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I agree, if your vet isn't used to seeing GH lab work, the diagnosis may be off. I would ask for a copy of the lab work (for $377, they shouldn't argue!)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

I agree with these posters. Get a copy of the lab results and a second opinion. Greyhound blood values can be different from other breeds. Here's another useful site: http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/greyhounds.htm

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Here's another reference for you. http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com...d%20Labwork.pdf

The author, Dr. Feeman, is a member of GT and posts here when he has time.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Welcome to Greytalk. :)

As others have said, get a copy of the actual lab results, but keep in mind that any notes or references to the numbers on those results will be "dog" not greyhound. I would very quickly find a good greyhound vet and make an appointment for your girl and bring in all test results for a second opinion. As many greyhounds as there are in California it shouldn't be hard to find a good vet, consult with the group you adopted from. Continue to give the antibiotics until they are all gone. Two weeks after the antibiotics are complete have her urine re-tested. UTI's are not that uncommon and I would prefer to err on the side of caution. Having complete bloodwork done on an 8 year old annually is totally appropriate. Not knowing what all was done for the $377. it isn't possible for any of us to comment on you being taken advantage of (or not), plus prices vary widely throughout the US. Check these links out for greyhound recommended vets in California, hopefully one will be near you.

Greyhound Connection

Greyhound Adoption California

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

There are at least two folks from OC here on GT. Hopefully they can suggest good GH vets in your area.

I agree, get the lab values, post them here and get a second opinion here, and in person in your area.

Good luck,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Kidney disease and low WBC counts are 2 of hte more common misdiagnoses that I'll see in Greyhound labwork. Of course the vet may absolutely be correct with his diagnosis... but those are 2 levels that are commonly misinterpretted.

Here is an article that may help you with the kidney side of things:

http://www.animalmedicalcentreofmedina.com...y%20Failure.pdf

Others have posted many sites that discuss Greyhound bloodwork which you will want to share with your vet. What antibiotic was used? If it was Clavamox then that could account for a significant portion of your bill.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest Hounded
Kidney disease and low WBC counts are 2 of hte more common misdiagnoses that I'll see in Greyhound labwork. Of course the vet may absolutely be correct with his diagnosis... but those are 2 levels that are commonly misinterpretted.

Others have posted many sites that discuss Greyhound bloodwork which you will want to share with your vet. What antibiotic was used? If it was Clavamox then that could account for a significant portion of your bill.

Yes, Clamavox was prescribed, and so was Phenylpropanolamine. The vet told me his main concern was her WBC count being very low, but from what I've read here in the various links, that appears to be normal. He also said her kidneys were compromised, and she seemed to have some sort of viral infection, but I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion. I am going to talk to him tomorrow, and I will see if I can get a copy of the lab results.

Thank you again everybody for your help with this. Can someone in the OC, CA area recommend a good vet that knows greyhounds?

Guest tricolorhounds

Yes, Clamavox was prescribed, and so was Phenylpropanolamine. The vet told me his main concern was her WBC count being very low, but from what I've read here in the various links, that appears to be normal. He also said her kidneys were compromised, and she seemed to have some sort of viral infection, but I'm not sure how he came to that conclusion. I am going to talk to him tomorrow, and I will see if I can get a copy of the lab results.

Thank you again everybody for your help with this. Can someone in the OC, CA area recommend a good vet that knows greyhounds?

greypuppyluv, sweetgsmom and iluvgreys all are in Orange County... where are you located. I live in San Diego County and my Vet takes care of most of the Greyhounds in this whole county.

Guest RICHandJUDE

I probably would get a second opinion if I did not have complete confidence

in my current vet. At least it would put your mind at ease.

I wouldn't be ready to throw the current vet 'out with the water' quite yet.

He may be right on the money. You did say that your greyt was peeing in the

house which you said wasn't normal.

I have learned a lot on Greytalk. I would listen to what we/they have to say but

in the end, I would probably trust my vet more.

Good Luck!

If anyone wants the medical handouts Dr. Feeman wrote, email me and I will send them to you, Burpdog@msn.com

I would not put one of mine on PPA especially with a UTI. I'd look for another vet for at least a second opinion.

Money wise, a blood panel will cost around $100, urinalysis $45 (in house) and clavamox at the vet's office around $56 for 7 days, so $112 for 14 days which is usual treatment.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

prayers and i 2nd another opinion. remember though your grey may act fine but there could be a problem. they don't always show symptoms.

Absolutely! Kidney disease is a particular case in point, since you would have to lose around three-quarters of your kidney function before it even started to show up on tests.

I was thinking the cost sounded a little high, but if Dr Bill (Feemandvm) says the Clavamox could account for that, then he'd be one who would know, being a veterinarian himself.

The only thing I haven't seen mentioned here - although it's probably in one of links - is that if in doubt about kidney disease, especially in a greyhound, ask for a urine protein:creatinine ratio test to be done. If that one says 'kidney disease' then believe it. But if it doesn't, there may be absolutely no problem.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greytexplorer
If anyone wants the medical handouts Dr. Feeman wrote, email me and I will send them to you, Burpdog@msn.com

I would not put one of mine on PPA especially with a UTI. I'd look for another vet for at least a second opinion.

Money wise, a blood panel will cost around $100, urinalysis $45 (in house) and clavamox at the vet's office around $56 for 7 days, so $112 for 14 days which is usual treatment.

Well there's $313 spent right there.

Add in $50 for the office visit, there's $363, another $14 for incidentals (cost of the PPA?) = $377. There ya go.

The urine ratio test that Silverfish mentioned is the test I would ask for TODAY. And you don't have to change vets either!

Good luck and keep us updated!

Guest SillyDog

Yea that doesn't sound right with the PPA on a UTI. PPA is used for incontinence, but if she's got a UTI it's important she go when she needs to and she's not really incontinent.

As far as the price, well a few weeks ago I took my senior in for a skin infection. He had a senior blood panel ($95), a rabies shot, an exam and antibiotics and I paid $277. I wish I had the receipt with me so I could tell you what everything cost. I've heard that my vet is one of the more expensive in the area, but I've continued with them because they see a large number of greys.

Good luck!

Guest FordRacingRon

I live across the border in LA county,,,my grey vet is in Cerritos if that is any help. Although I do think he perhaps over charges too he is on the list for the OC/GLA GPA website and he does do work for them. You can find him at

http://www.bloomfieldvet.com/

Edited by FordRacingRon

Guest Hounded

Yea that doesn't sound right with the PPA on a UTI. PPA is used for incontinence, but if she's got a UTI it's important she go when she needs to and she's not really incontinent.

As far as the price, well a few weeks ago I took my senior in for a skin infection. He had a senior blood panel ($95), a rabies shot, an exam and antibiotics and I paid $277. I wish I had the receipt with me so I could tell you what everything cost. I've heard that my vet is one of the more expensive in the area, but I've continued with them because they see a large number of greys.

Good luck!

Great. I did not know that PPA was for incontinence. She's not incontinent, she has a UTI! I've already started giving it to her, so I'm not sure what to do. *sigh*

PPA has also been linked to stokes in both dogs and people. There are several of us here on GT who won't even give it for incontinence.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest SillyDog
Great. I did not know that PPA was for incontinence. She's not incontinent, she has a UTI! I've already started giving it to her, so I'm not sure what to do. *sigh*

It's ok. I'd say get her into one of the recommended grey vets in your area asap. If you can't get an appointment or even a drop off asap, see if you can speak (as soon as possible) to the DVM who you will be seeing in the near future about the PPA.

If it was my dog, I also probably wouldn't give her any more of the PPA until a grey savy vet said it's necessary. It's possible for a dog to be both incontinent and have a UTI, but it's just more likely that the accidents are from the UTI in this instance. The really important thing then becomes treating the UTI with the appropriate antibiotic to see if the accidents go away.

I'm really sorry this has become such a trial for you. Once you find the right vet things will be much better for you and your girl.