Starry Starry Angel Hound

Guest StarlaDear

Guest StarlaDear

Starry, my heart and soul hound, left this world for the bridge quietly and peacefully, surrounded by so many people that loved her.

My precious precious angel spent so much of her life (after the track) giving to others....she worked, tirelessly, as an ambassadog for greyhound adoption, as a therapy dog, and as a reading assistance dog. At the ripe old age of eleven she even managed to earn her canine good citizen certification (just a couple of hours after coming in second place at the greyhounds in g'burg costume contest). I've tried so many times to write a "fitting" tribute to her but right now, there are just no words. The lives she touched and the hearts she warmed will have to be her tribute and will forever be her legacy. What she meant to me and the life she gave me are beyond measure.

For three years Starry lived under the constant and imposing threat of a repeat of the devestating platelet crisises that were part of her auto-immune disorder. The last six months or so she also bravely battled a rapidly progressing kidney failure. On Thursday (8/9) i came home from work to find her again covered with tell-tale bruises that had formed overnight. She initially refused food but then rallied only in time for me to find out her platelet count had again begun to drop (meaning her blood could not clot so she could no longer safely recieve the sub-cutaneous fluids that were helping try to slow the progression of her kidney failure). On Sat and Sun she seemed to hold her own but by monday she was again starting to refuse food. My concern grew as her eyes became more distant and she looked more and more tired with each passing hour. On Tuesday evening she began vomiting and by Tuesday night she was intermittently refusing even water. For nearly twenty-four hours i held her and cried, wishing what i feared was inevitable might somehow not be true. She had a seizure on Wednesday....she went to the bridge quietly and peacefully with her head cradled in my arms late that afternoon. No more pills, no more needles, no more blood tests, no more bruises....my precious girl is whole and happy and healthy no matter how heatbroken and devestated i am. I wonder if i might ever be whole again without her.

Starry was kind and gentle and loving and giving and patient and intuitive beyond all words. When i adopted her more than seven years ago she was supposed to be a boy, and, a fawn or black boy at that. Instead a whirling dervish in brindle and white lept from her crate onto a rake that promptly hit me in the face and knocked my glasses to the floor. The chaos that ensued resulted in an aging kennel master making a diving grab in an effort to keep her from escaping down the driveway to the road. For many years i insisted that the blow to the head is what made me say "uh-huh" when i was asked "so, you'll take her?" The rest is history......over the years i watched her develop in to the confident, caring hound that she was.....a renowned beauty queen (it didnt' take her long to learn the more ridiculous of an outfit she had on the more people that would come and pet her and tell her how pretty she was (or how sorry the felt for her), a greyt embassador and a sensitive and gentle therapist and tutor. She touched the hearts of all who met her, my self most especially. She was and always will be a part of me and of everything i do. She was and is my life and my heart. I love and miss her more than i could ever explain.

Someday soon i am sure i will be able to read and answer the many emails i have already recieved in her honor and memory. Right now the heartache and the tears are too much....please know that just seeing them in my inbox touches my heart and brings me comfort. Each time i am able to think of her and smile (not cry) i know it is because everyone's thoughts and prayers are with me.

Run free my sweet sweet angel hound....your mommy loves and misses you with every breath that i take and each beat of my broken heart. I promise i will be okay, honey, because of the life and the friends and the work you have brought me i'll be okay.

Sami & Starry Starry Angel Hound

In Starry's honor and in her memory (never, never in her place) i adopted a precious skinny little red fawn girl named Gypsy who has a thing for stuffies this Thursday. Together we are finding our way through the new and sometimes precarious world that is life for both of us now. I'll post her picture soon.

Edited by StarlaDear

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest greytfulhounds

Sami, you know our hearts & our prayers are with you. As the days progress the tears will not come as frequently and you will find yourself smiling from time to time when you remember your beautiful angel. :grouphug

Run free sweet Starry and please give our love to Joanie when you see her.

:f_red:gh_runner:f_red

BEAUTIFUL STARRY RELAXING AT A PICNIC A FEW MONTHS AGO

bracelet2016.jpg

Guest how888

My heart aches for you right now. She was so precious and you said so intuitive so you know she will send you a sign from over the rainbow. Until we all meet and greet again, run free and soar as angels do. An angel that once graced our earth, now graces our Heaven. Godspeed sweet gentle soul.

I'm so sorry you lost your Starry. :cry1

Congratulations on Gypsy. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest argolola

I am typing through tears as I read the tribute to your precious angel. May God bless you and dry your tears. May other greys continue to love and be loved, as you continue the legacy of love that Starry started. You will be in my prayers.

I am so sorry for your loss. Starry is smiling down upon you thanking you for everyting you did for her.

Godspeed Starry, you are missed.

Hugs,

Carla

What a gorgeous girl, and what a beautiful tribute! I am so sorry for your loss :(

f_yellow:brokenheartDevonSympathy.jpg:brokenheartf_yellow

Bless you for opening your heart to another hound in need of a home. Welcome, Gypsy!!!

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

I am so sorry. :candle:grouphug Run with all the angels Starry. :gh_run

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg