Leptosporsosis

Guest greytloves

Guest greytloves

Holy Cr*p!

One of my very dear girlfriends has had two dogs rapidly get ill and then die recently. The last dog had part of his kidney sent to A&M who states that without a doubt he had leptosporsis and probably so did the first one. Young male with kidney failure so bad that he took 9 bags of fluids in 1 1/2 days and went from running happy greyhound to dead in 2 days.

Holy Cr*p! I thought this diease/bacteria was almost extinct and that is why they do not routinely vaccinate anymore for it. The A&M people say they have had a rise this year of cases that they are contributing to our massive rain amounts. Saying that water was pooling on the grounds for days where apparently pee from wild animals gets into.

Again, Holy Cr*p! Thank goodness she now knows. It was really messing with all of our heads. We knew it had to be an ingested toxin or something and I kept leaning towards something in the water, but man who would have thought this?

Guest greytexplorer

I live in Bham AL and we are 18 inches below normal in rainfall amounts.

Do I need to be concerned about this?

Scary!!!!!!!!!!!

The vets here (Southern Ontario, Canada) had stopped vaccinating for it, but it's recurring, and now some (including mine) recommend it. The vaccine doesn't cover all strains.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

My vet started vaccinating for it two years ago as part of the routine vaccination protocol.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest SusanP
My vet told me last year it was making a rampant comback around here and shots HAD TO HAD TO be 5 way instead of 4 way. Remember, it only lasts a year so take that into account if on 3 year protocal as we are.

What do "5 way" and "4 way" mean?

My vet told me last year it was making a rampant comback around here and shots HAD TO HAD TO be 5 way instead of 4 way. Remember, it only lasts a year so take that into account if on 3 year protocal as we are.

It's the type of vaccine and how many diseases it covers. I thought they were DHLP and DHLPP, both of which cover Lepto, but now I'm not sure.

Guest greytloves

Apparently the one without is a different acronymn. I heard that "L" in the DHLPP is for Lepto.

I called my vet today and he still gives it, phew.

However, I have warned all of my dog buddies around here to call and check with their vet.

I think they say that the Lepto vaccine can cause side effects in certain breeds, not greys, however, side effects vs death? They also say they thought the disease was like Polio, pretty much gone, apparently is coming back.

Also, I heard that it is primarily in urine that gets in water sources, but also soil. The bugger can stay dormant for a long period of time (6 months)

I would vaccinate!

Here's a good article to read before deciding whether to vaccinate or not:

http://www.caberfeidh.com/Lepto.htm

FYI, treatment for lepto, at least a couple of years ago when we started to treat Neyla for it until test results came back negative, was with doxycycline, which many of you probably know is not particularly expensive or dangerous at the dosages recommended. The test for lepto costs about $100 and takes at least a week to come back.

I do not vaccinate my dogs for it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest ponyiq

This is NOT a dog only disease, repeat NOT A DOG only. I have two friends, one in their 20's another in his 50's with NO underlying health problems that died within 36 hours of contracting the disease from a sick animal. One had one of his dogs get it, the dogs necropsy did not come back until after the guy died in ICU

THe second one stopped to help a dog out on the side of the road, took the dog to the e vet, e vet was pretty clueless never suspected, sent him home with bland diet, meds, fluids orally with dose syringe, the dog died during the night and he died within 24 hours.. they dug the dog up ( the state health guys) and it was lepto

this was 12 years ago\

It never went away in south louisiana.. we have always and will always vaccinate against it here

I was horrified when i heard some people that i know here not vaccinating against it..

it is too easy to get and in my head falls into the category of rabies.. a preventable disease that can kill humans as well as animals

nicole

FYI, treatment for lepto, at least a couple of years ago when we started to treat Neyla for it until test results came back negative, was with doxycycline

The problem is that they can get so sick so quickly that the treatment can be too late.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest greytloves

Yep, that is what happened with my friends.

She is now getting bloodwork on all, a round of Doxcy and then the vaccine. Probably going to cost her into the thousands. (she has 9 dogs) we are helping her raise funds.

May I ask, where did this unfortunate occurance take place. Which state or in Canada? Just for informational reasons as my guys are going for their annuals on Friday and I want to be prepared with questions for my vet as to whether we are still getting that vaccine.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

4 way is DHPP

Distemper

Hepatitis

Parainfluenza

Parvo

5 way is DHLPP

Distemper

Hepatitis

Lepto

Parainfluenza

Parvo

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Lepto is included in the DHLPP or DHLPPC vaccine. It's important to vaccinate for not only because it can make dogs so catastrophically ill, but because it's zoonotic. It can leap species and infect humans as well. Bad stuff! :(

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest greytloves

Yep, A&M here in the great State of Texas. (think we should have them retested, you know, I always here them Aggies are kinda slow.....)

kidding, just kidding to all Aggie peeps!

That is the vaccine we do annually here.

Here, too. Everything else is 3 year.

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Our hounds get the DHLP-P booster annually. I thought most vets throughout the country recommended it.

Nope. Now many vet associations are switching to a 3 year protocol and it is suspected that most of the vaccines actually last much longer than 3 years.