Set Back For Oscar

I'm in tears right now because he's in so much pain.

He's been doing really well for the past week and a half. We were doing short walks and he was picking up speed and really doing much, much better.

He wasn't feeling very well today with his upset stomach but it is quite a bit cooler here today so since his harness arrived, I thought I'd take him for one of our ten minute walks. Half way around the block, he couldn't walk any farther. Of course, stupid me, I forgot my cell phone and couldn't call DH to come get us. *No one* was around to ask to call for me. I managed to get him to walk another half a block when he froze solid. Couldn't walk at all. I tried nudging him and you could just see that he was in agony. I sat on the curb and let him stand, figuring he'd get enough energy to move a bit, but after 20 minutes, nothing. No-one walked by, a few cars went by but that was it.

I was on the corner of a house where I do know the people, the dad was the baseball coach who hit the line drive into my son's forehead a few years ago. :eek But, I couldn't get oscar to even go that far. I finally took a chance, figuring he couldn't run and dropped his leash to run to the front door.

Oscar didn't move. He did try to move one leg but stopped. The man called DH for me and offered to drive us home but DH came to get us. At one point, it looked like the man and DH would have to pick up Oscar to get him to the car, but he finally walked over. He had no trouble jumping in and, although he didn't look comfortable, he could jump out.

I just gave him two of his tramadols but I'm so upset and discouraged that he had this happen. He was really looking like he was improving.

Edited by mareyeka

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, I was so hoping he'd continue to improve. Will keep you and Oscar in my prayers. Come on Oscar boy, you can beat this thing.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

:(

Poor bug. And poor you -- what a scare.

We don't walk much here anymore because of loose dogs but Joseph finds it satisfying to get his leash on and poke around our (unfenced) front yard and along the curb 2 houses up and down from us. If people are out washing their cars, doing their yards, etc., he likes to just hang out and watch for awhile. Maybe Oscar would enjoy similar, so you wouldn't risk being far from home?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry. What a scare. And poor Oscar.

It's odd how those spinal things can cause such grief one minute, and be so much less restricting the next. I hope Oscar doesn't ever have to experience the grief again.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Winterwish

Oh Mareyeka I'm sorry Oscar had such a hard time this past evening. Maybe he was just particularly tired and having a very off day,and will be feeling a lot better tomorrow.

Thinking of your handsome fella' Oscar, :grouphug:dogcookie:dogcookie

Sending the most gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.