Set Back For Oscar

Thanks folks. I'm waiting for the vet to call me back. He's been in surgery all morning and I imagine he's pretty busy right now.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with the vet this morning, we're taking Oscar off the anti-inflammatories and starting him on a corticosteroid, but he has to be off the anti-inflammatories for 24 hours first. I do have the Tramadol for him to tide him over if he's in a lot of pain.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Guest greywen

That must have been very frightening , the one time i didn't take my phone out my Richie collapsed and couldn't move ,luckily a lady walked by with her dog and ran to get help.He knows you love him and love is a great healer.

Guest Winterwish

Sending good thoughts to Oscar fro his being comfortable while off the meds. Hopefully the corticosteroid will be very helpful to him. :hope:hope

Well, he had to be anti-inflammatory free for 24 hours so Oscar got his first dose of prednisone this evening. Because of a car breakdown, I couldn't go to the pharmacy to get his meds but I happen to have the same dosage (50 mg) of prednisone on hand for my migraines, so, now we not only share pain killers (he's taking my tramacet now since he is off the rimadyl), he's taking my prednisone. :)

He gets 25 mg morning and night for one week, and then 25 mg per day for a month. I wonder if this can cause personality changes in dogs like it can for humans? Prednisone is a nasty, nasty drug, albeit a life saver for many. He's also on pepcid for his stomach.

He has lost a lot of weight, even my husband see it. We're hoping the prednisone will stimulate his appetite, yet another side effect of the drug. We'll see. He has an appointment to see his vet next week, although if things get worse, we can always bring him in earlier.

Let's hope this works because he seems to be fading a bit. A little less happy, a little less bouncy, a little less everything.

Edited by mareyeka

Sending prayers and scritchies and hungry thoughts for the Oscar man.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I hope it works and Oscar gets back to his happy self. I have no idea about the effect of pred on humans, but my Chelsea girl had to pee so much more.

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Sending prayers. I've had good luck with pred in all the dogs I've used it on. I believe if the pred is needed, they do well. Certainly some will have side effects that are not desirable. Since I was on it for 6 years I know what the effects can be (can you say gain 50# in 3 months?--and no, it doesn't fall off when you stop the pred :lol)

Have you had an acupuncture vet look at him?

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

P.S. Don't forget, the pred will make him drink and pee a lot until he gets accustomed to it! I took B out every 2 hours the first week; he could last for maybe 6 overnight.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The major side effects seem to be: Pee a lot, drink a lot, eat a lot. I have heard of personality changes (aggression), but not seen it. Minnie was once on such a high dose that she started "shedding". Here's some stuff on pred at PetPlace.com (see Precautions and Side Effects).

I'm not fond of the side effects, but pred has saved two of my girls (one canine, one feline) and I'll use it again if need be.

ETA: I sure hope it works for Oscar. :goodluck

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oscar is still not eating. The prednisone is not making him hungry. He will eat people food that gives him the runs, so that's not an option. We have tried different dog food and it's not working.

We see the vet again next week. The only option I would have today is the EVet who doesn't know greys very well and doesn't know Oscar.

I'm very worried about him. I don't think it's a disc problem in his back.

Oh no.

Has he had the tick disease testing?

If he will eat people food but it gives him the runs, try adding a tablespoon of pureed peas a couple times a day. Lots of fiber. Or meatloaf, lemme go find the recipe.

Jurishound posted the meatloaf recipe here:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=176275

Another P.S. Has he had x-ray or ultrasound of his abdomen -- heart, stomach, intestines, etc.?

I just saw this and I'm so sorry that you have so serious problems with Oskar...I wish you the very best for him and

many good thoughts are coming his way from Spain...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.