Update On Bullett....

Guest blastsmom

Guest blastsmom

It has taken me some time to let this all sink in, and I am sorry I have not kept everyone informed. I want to thank all of you for your well wishes and prayers.....

Bullett, who was given 2-3 wks of life --- 5 wks ago today........ is still with us. He has gone thru the entire battery of testing again...Lyme, tick-borne, etc...... I even had to send to my vet where he raced. She did a fungal lab to make sure the lesion in the lung was not a fungal infection..... strange, but the several lesions on the first xray, showed only one on the second. Same with the lesion of the r front leg. It was several multiple "ghost-like" images before, and last week, it was one very very prominent one in the leg joint.

She has given me several options. After already knowing, I was not going to put him thru chemo, radiation etc when it already has spread..... we are on a "comfort care" series. Her first suggestion....after all the labs, 75 mg Rimadyl BID..... she was not too concerned with the liver...... she said that the meds were sometimes known to slow the progression. Then, in a case where he is in severe pain, add Tramadol, up to 3 tablets at a time TID PRN..... Once that no longer helps, she said we would move to either the Phentynol patch or morphine injections.... I am fine with either. I do not want him at the vet on any kind of IV, etc. I want him home, where he is comfortable. Strange, but true, he had very little symptoms until today! He had a slight cough, not too bad. I can listen to the lungs, and I hear not rattles, or any rasping, etc. She was concerned with 2 things, CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) which would consist of Lasix, or just phlegm. Since I did call her 2 days ago and say he was starting to cough, as she has asked me to keep her posted on everything...document when he coughed, etc..... it has stopped. You would never, in a million years, know any thing was wrong......

I have been told, to exercise him, let him swim. Ok...no big deal....... at least I thought so! Today, he was in the pool. He was fine. John was in the pool, holding him, so he would not be scared. He had a little scared look on his face...first time, which was odd. He never did before. He loved the pool. Well, he started to gasp, as a scared gasp kinda thing.... I said to John, lets get him out.....ok...no big deal.... Well, Bullett, who seems to forget he is not a puppy and not healthy (not to mention weighs in at 85 lbs now) started to "Play" on the deck....first the play bow..... then, a spin in a circle....... well, during the spin, he did it so darn fast! his legs gave out, I think they slipped on the deck. He yelped.....and yelped.......and yelped..... fell down...... I jumped so fast to him...... John was out of the pool so fast... it was unbelievable. He kept crying..... finally, I got him settled, he leaned into me, and I kept telling him mommy was here........ I got him in the house.......he still put no pressure on that leg. He would not take any food....no meds, etc.......geesh...... talk about scary! I got him to his big bed..... he laid down, very difficult for him, as he is still not putting any pressure on the leg. The joint is sooooo swollen. I remember her telling me, I could give him both the meds together...the problem...how to get him to take them.... well, after I got him on his bed, got his comb, and started combing him..... he likes that..... all the time, talking to him, telling him he was ok and momma was there (all thru my tears, of which I tried so hard not too) I finally got him to take the meds..... and he calmed down.

That all happened at 7 eastern......it is now 12:45 am....and he still is not putting any pressure on it. It was swollen like a tennis ball..... now, more like a golf ball....... he did get up to go out to do his business.... he walks on 3 legs.... my question.... do I take him to the e-vet??? They had no clue last time. We waited 5 hrs..... How would i know if it was broken or just a severe sprain. Is there any way to tell w/o an x-ray?? He lets me touch him...all over the leg...... he lets me bend it..... no yelping at all. I need some suggestions........ what should I do????

Thanks to anyone - in advance- who can offer any suggestions..... ice it????? wrap it?????? what do I do??????

Terri

Blastsmom

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlackandBrindle

God Terri, I want you to know you are always in my prayers. Gentle hugs to you and that very brave pup of yours :grouphug

Personally, I'd think if he's letting you manipulate it, it's not broken. I would ice it and if it gets worse then take him in if you can't manage the pain at home. :grouphug

Oh no... your poor baby. :( I would ice his leg and let him rest. When my babies had OS, during the last 3-4 weeks, they wouldn't put weight on that leg and were essentially tripods, and pain management was the route we went. Glad he took the meds for you tonight. Make sure he gets the full dose. OS is such a painful cancer. Many prayers... :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Poor Bullett. I have absolutely no experience with this type of problem so have no advice to give, just good thoughts and prayers for all of you.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Dinabird

I'm so sorry. I know how helpless you feel not knowing what to do - and I have no idea what to tell you - maybe call the vet and see what they say and just love him. You will know when it is best to give him permission to go where there is no more pain.

hugs to you both

First, rimadyl does not touch the pain of osteo according to Dr. Couto.

You have to use a NSAID (if you choose to use one) combined with something like tramadol. Ivey was at 100mg every 4 hours before I sent her off.

You can add morphine pills--no need for injections, to the tramadol. Also neurontin.

I'd keep him quiet and see how it goes. If he is not panting when laying down, it should mean he is comfortable.

:grouphug

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest Mom2Gr8dawgs

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way. We had the best success managing osteo pain with deramaxx and tramadol together, and then changed the deramaxx to peroxicam when the deramaxx wasn't working anymore. :grouphug

Guest WarmheartedPups

I am so sorry....I do know how hard this is. I have tears in my eyes reading your story.

Make sure he is medicated enough for this pain...keep ahead of it

Prayers and hugs to you and your familyl.

How is he this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest blastsmom

This boy is one big fighter I tell ya!!!! I know he is not in severe pain..... he is not panting, not trembling, etc..... like yesterday when it happened. He has been only walking when necessary.... especially to get his food!! So he still has an appetite.

Before bed last nite, I am giving him the rimadyl + tramadol. He is a very stubborn boy. He would not let me crate him..... he "pushed" me to the side with his nose and hobbled up the steps to the bedroom last nite..... I ran so fast to get behind him to help him...no need to. He got to the top and kinda looked at me, like hey mom, I am not sleeping alone! He came down the steps this morning too...hobbling on 3 legs! He will not put any pressure at all on that leg. He lets me touch, bend, etc with no yelping or anything.

I cannot stand the e-vet here...they are dumber than dirt! If I can keep him pain free until tomorrow I will call my reg vet in the morning.

This is the first I have had to deal with osteo, so it is hard, not knowing what I should be looking for. I guess with medicine, we have no crystal ball to tell us what we should foresee. I know people are saying this is so painful for them. He was not showing signs of pain at all until yesterday when he fell --- while playing like a puppy!!

If anyone has any suggestions on websites to read on this, I would really appreciate it. I feel so blind and stupid to it, just not knowing.

thanks for all the prayers..... I know they are helping! When my Ramsey was ready to go, I knew it in my heart. I also know that now is not Bullett's time.

Thanks again!!

Terri

Circle of Grey has some very informative links. I hope you can keep him comfortable until your vet is available.

Edited to add: if Bullett isn't putting any weight on the leg, you might want to have it x-rayed. Is it the same one in which the osteo showed up? It might be broken, because the tumor grows out and weakens the bone.

Edited by Aerosmom
Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest TBSFlame

There will come a time when the pain is greater than the meds. It took 2 months for our boy Hawk. I took in him and they put the patch on him but that night he panted all night. I knew then it was time. If he is not panting then he most likely has the pain under control. Don't be afraid to give him his meds and increase it as necessary. Keeping the pain under control is what is important until it is time. I am so sorry. Hawk, didn't move around much after the dx but thankfully he never brok his leg.

Oh Terri,

I am heartbroken to hear this about Bullett! I have no experiences or advice other than get in touch with Dr. Cuoto, but know you are all in our prayers. :hope:candle

:bighug

Kim

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Guest VelvetEars

No, not Bullett! My heart is breaking for you, Terri. Please don't hesitate to call me if you need to talk. You are both in our thoughts and prayers.

Edited by VelvetEars

I'm so sorry that you and Bullett are at this stage of dealing with the Monster. Bullett does sound very brave. Our vet recommended Piroxicam (sp.?) after Winnie's amputation 3 years ago. It worked well for her for the pain, and our vet thinks it may even have some tumor fighting properties.

Sending good thoughts and white light to you both.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

If his boo-boo is on the same leg that they confirmed the osteo then you might have to consider that he broke that leg when he slipped. I would suggest that you take him to your vet as so as you can to have that leg radiographed. Sorry this happened to you--damn cancer.

I am surprised that a vet would say exercise a dog with osteo...I would think you'd be afraid of the bone breaking...

:grouphug:hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Sending warm thoughts and prayers for you and Bullett.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)