Heartworm Preventative

Guest ellieb

Heartworm  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use heartworm preventative?

• Yes, all year.
    • Yes, partial year.
    • No.
  2. 2. How often do you give a dose?

• Every month on a set day (1st, 15th, etc.)
    • Every 45 days.
    • Every 46-60 days.
    • Other (see below).
  3. 3. Is this method on your vet's recommendation?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't see a vet.

Guest Snowy8

My friend Cynde (HHDesigns) and I send an email to remind each other that simply says: HeartWorm...on the first of the month.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I try and do it once a month, but it usually ends up being a little more than that. I also have them tested once a year, although they are on preventative all year long.

We don't live in an area that is high in heartworm cases, but my vet says that it's increasing so why take the chance...

I know some people who only test every six months and don't put their dogs on preventative, but it's Heartguard Plus all around for us :)

Edited by BlackandBrindle

We give our two greys Interceptor on the 1st of every month. This schedule was suggested by our greyhound adoption group - our vet didn't express an opinion either way.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest KennelMom

We have our email calendar set to remind us every 30 days, but it's usually anywhere from every 30-40 days by the time we actually get it out and dose everyone. We give it year round.

No heartworm preventive needed in WA state. If I ever travel with the dogs, I'll check with the vet first. Fenway is still on his 6 months of heartworm preventative (every 30 days) because he's from Kansas. He'll get tested in the spring, and we'll be in the clear after that. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I give the girls Interceptor once a month, every month around the first. I also have them tested as part of their routine annual check up (belt-and suspenders, I guess). I set a reminder in Outlook.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

We give Heartgard from June until November (during mosquito season). Ours get it on the first of the month.

We have no reason to give it in the winter months here. ;)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

We give Heartgard from June until November (during mosquito season). Ours get it on the first of the month.

We have no reason to give it in the winter months here. ;)

Same here!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

We don't need it for where we live, however, our newly bought vacation home has ticks in the area so we will use it year round, most likely.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest crazy4greys

I use interceptor year round. It was recommended because I always have a foster and it prevents a lot of the worms.

Folks might want to review the incidence of heartworm in the United States -- there certainly is heartworm in WA, PA, NY, etc.

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/download/incidencemap.jpg

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We don't need it for where we live, however, our newly bought vacation home has ticks in the area so we will use it year round, most likely.

Ticks are creepy nasty critters, but they don't have anything to do with heartworm. It's spread by mosquitoes.....

I think some vets in the <5 cases per clinic per year are on that map don't push it...in fact, I had one tell me I was crazy for asking for Heartgard when I was in one of those areas. I know Elaine told me that in Albuquerque it is heavily recommended on the "wet side" of the mountains and not so much on the "dry side"...and that map would bear that out. However, with something as serious as heartworms better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Spiff

Heartworm is not endemic to Germany, so noone gives heartworm preventative here unless they plan to travel to places where it is!

When we lived in the CT/RI, Spiff got Sentinel year round.

Edited by Spiff

Guest KennelMom
Folks might want to review the incidence of heartworm in the United States -- there certainly is heartworm in WA, PA, NY, etc.

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/download/incidencemap.jpg

And that map is the average number of cases per reporting clinic in 2005. It wouldn't cover dogs who die from heartworm disease/complications but are never diagnosed. They just die. And cases from clinics that don't report. It's so easy to prevent and relatively inexpensive, if there was even a miniscule chance of heartworm infection our dogs would be on preventative.

I remember our old vet talking to us about TBDs and many vets believe they don't exist in their area but research is showing they are more widespread than previously believed - in part due to the mobility of Americans (we love to travel with our dogs!). So dogs are probably dieing from TBDs but not counted in statistics b/c it isn't even considered to begin with. Just wondering if that may also be the case with heartworm disease in some areas.

For those who live in low incidence areas, do vets include HW testing as part of an annual exam?

Our vet doesn't recommend heartworm preventative because of the low incidence of it in our area. I do however do an annual heartworm test.

Guest LolasMom

We use Interceptor on the first of every month. In addition to heartworm prevention. my girl had a very bad case of Hookworm when she came to me and this will kill any nasty bugs that may have hatched over the last months time.

We have our email calendar set to remind us every 30 days, but it's usually anywhere from every 30-40 days by the time we actually get it out and dose everyone. We give it year round.

Same here and then I adjust the next month. Dogs are tested every year.

I use the Generic.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Guest MountainHounds

Mine get their preventative every 30 days or so from May through November, I don't give it to them in the non-mosquito months and I re-test every spring. Kamin is on Interceptor and Praxis on Heartguard (Kamin gets his through the vet school, Prax through the vets' office and they don't carry the interceptor) My vet didn't think there was any reason to put Kavana on it this year, so he's not getting either.

Guest lvmydogz

We give it year round, on a certain day each month and yes it is recommended here in Florida. :)

I think this sometimes depends on what part of the country you live in too, though. :nod

Oh & yes, they are tested *every* year as well.

Michelle (Jojo, Jani & Cody's momma)

Edited by lvmydogz

Guest BooMooandDoo
No heartworm preventive needed in WA state. If I ever travel with the dogs, I'll check with the vet first. Fenway is still on his 6 months of heartworm preventative (every 30 days) because he's from Kansas. He'll get tested in the spring, and we'll be in the clear after that. :)

Yep. . we don't do Heartworm prevenative either. . I love the land of no mosquitos :D