Heartworm Preventative

Guest ellieb

Heartworm  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use heartworm preventative?

• Yes, all year.
    • Yes, partial year.
    • No.
  2. 2. How often do you give a dose?

• Every month on a set day (1st, 15th, etc.)
    • Every 45 days.
    • Every 46-60 days.
    • Other (see below).
  3. 3. Is this method on your vet's recommendation?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I don't see a vet.

Guest longdogs

Be aware that different preventatives have different effective periods. Some you might be able stretch beyond 30 days (ivermectin has some latitude) and I've seen some formulations designed for 45 day repeats. The rest I would not trust for more than a short period over the advertised dosage period. Personally, I stick to the recommended period.

Guest SQUEAKER04
No heartworm preventive needed in WA state. If I ever travel with the dogs, I'll check with the vet first. Fenway is still on his 6 months of heartworm preventative (every 30 days) because he's from Kansas. He'll get tested in the spring, and we'll be in the clear after that. :)

I am confused now....our Vet never said anything about heartworm preventive. Why is it not need here in WA. state but needed in other states?

No heartworm preventive needed in WA state. If I ever travel with the dogs, I'll check with the vet first. Fenway is still on his 6 months of heartworm preventative (every 30 days) because he's from Kansas. He'll get tested in the spring, and we'll be in the clear after that. :)

I am confused now....our Vet never said anything about heartworm preventive. Why is it not need here in WA. state but needed in other states?

Please check out this link that Batmom posted.

http://www.heartwormsociety.org/download/incidencemap.jpg

The first day of the month, every month, without fail. We also test every year.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest david_42

I don't have any concern about heartworms, but living where I do, there are many other internal parasites (hookworm, roundworm, etc.) that are a problem. I use a generic that has the same meds in the same dose, but costs about 1/6th as much.

In Wisconsin, I give (and recommend) going June - November. I personally give every 45 days - Interceptor for Copper, HG regular for Thunder. We do an annual test in the spring.

I'd also like to point out that we live in such diverse environments, what works for me may very well not work for the next poster. I had a debate about this with some friends who live down south, where they rightly give it all year round. In the north, we simply do not have the weather to support a mosquito population after September, usually but I go until Nov 1 to be sure. :)

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions

Guest Spoiledhound

No heartworm preventative here either. WSU says that heartworm is not yet an issue in WA state. Each state varies upon it own weather patterns and geography. Washington state doesn't have a climate to support the mosquito population for a long haul. I can't even think of when I saw one last.

Guest BooMooandDoo

Excuse me while I nerd out for a minute

FOR WASHINGTON

Is Washington experiencing a heartworm disease increase now?

No data is currently available to state conclusively that the incidence of heartworm in dogs and cats is increasing in Washington. During the last decade, there has not been a documented increase in heartworm diagnoses that would suggest or indicate that the state is becoming enzootic for the parasite and its life cycle.

It can be argued that if heartworm transmission could be sustained by Washington mosquitoes it should have occurred previously and certainly within those areas that historically have had cases imported on a regular basis. Similarly, it could be argued that local regions of the state with the highest mosquito populations should be showing an increased incidence of heartworm in dogs.

Neither of these hypothetical situations has been observed to be occurring.

Assuming for discussion that microfilariae are infecting Washington mosquitoes, there is no epidemiological evidence that the parasite can sustain its life cycle. In communities where a small number of cases have been diagnosed in local animals on an intermittent but recurring basis, the subsequent seasons have not shown increasing or sustained caseloads.

Edited by BooMooandDoo

Guest DoofBert

Wihle our vet admits the heartworm preventative covers about 40 days, he likes us to keep to the same day each month as it's easier to remember.

Guest wilsontrixie
We give Heartgard from June until November (during mosquito season). Ours get it on the first of the month.

We have no reason to give it in the winter months here. ;)

likewise!