Bordatella Vaccine

Guest DoofBert

Guest DoofBert

We changed vets during 2006. Tessa and Sir D had their first check up with the new vet last night....(all is well, by the way.)

He suggests that all dogs who are in 'public' (attend M&G, go to gatherings, and board at kennels) get the bordetella vaccine. So, we did.

Our previous vet said only dogs that get kennelled need ths bordetalla vaccine.

What are you vet's recommendations for this vaccine?

Guest greybookends

I make sure all of my gang get this vaccine. I have 5 hounds and occasionally foster. We do M&Gs where other groups are also doing adoptions and sometimes these groups come in with infected pups and can spread kennel cough. We also go to various events and sadly some people do not keep up on vaccines like they should. I think the added cost for the vaccine is worth it to make sure that my gang doesn't get sick because of someone else's negligence. MY vet agrees with me. :)

Kennel cough doesn't necessarily come from a kennel. Typically, if you do board your dogs, it is required. It is not required for day to day activities in public, but still recommended.

Because mine are blood donors at our local E-vet, they get it.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Our previous vet said only dogs that get kennelled need ths bordetalla vaccine.

That's what I go with. Since my dogs don't get kennelled, they don't get the vaccine. We do interact with many other dogs at pet stores and even on walks (we live in an apartment building with many dogs), because it's important for their socialization, and we haven't had a problem yet. I think your dog would need to have a weak immune system or some supremely bad luck to pick it up from just everyday contact. Kennel couch is generally not life threatening also, unlike something like rabies.

Is it bordatella that needs to be done every 6 months to be effective?

Guest DoofBert

I understand this is annual vaccine.

Well, I'm more comfortable with our new vet's recommendation. Especially since my retirees are approaching their Senior years

My vet is on the more conservative side when it comes to vaccines (conservative in the sense that she would like to give them as little as possible) but she recommended I vaccinate since I foster and visit the dog park occasionally. It's generally also required if you're going to enroll in obedience class although I somehow managed to avoid that when I took Zuri.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Flint

My vet says it's up to me. I can tell you that the doggie daycare Flint attends does not require it because they've seen dogs who have been vaccinated come down with kennel cough anyway. They think it's similar to the human flu with a different strain every year, yet the vaccine doesn't change from year to year.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My dogs go to doggie day care once a week so I have always had them vaccinated with Bordatella. What was new for me though was when I switched vets, the new vet said that once a year is sufficient unlike my old vet who said every 6 months.

Oh and FYI - Getting the Bordatella vaccine doesn't guarantee the dog won't get kennel cough and it happens rather often that they still do regardless.

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Guest vahoundlover

All of mine get Bordatella. I very rarely ever board but 2 get groomed once a month. Your dogs can pickup kennel cough at dog parks, PetSmart etc.

Rainy gets the Bordatella vaccine - as we go and do all the time (doggie activities) & we travel lots with her on vacations.... and you never know when a family emergency could happen & we might be forced to board her on short notice. All the boarding facilities around here require it.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

My vet is not a big fan either -- he certainly doesn't push it. He said it works on less than half the strains out there and they are constantly morphing.

Poodle got it when he went to the groomer at another vet. That vet only gave it once a year but insisted that the injected form worked better on adult dogs :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Tenderhearts

My vet does recommend IF there are a lot of public situations like you mentioned, and the possibilty of frequent boarding.

Personally I have never had the vaccine given other than when Randy got his vacs right after we adopted him. He was due the month after adoption and still qualified to get his vacs for free if I took him over to the track at Wichita, which I did. The bordatella was part of their vaccine protocol.

Mine get it every year, since we haul kennel dogs and usually one or more of our own along with.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest deanna

my girls don't get bordatella. they don't get boarded/kenneled and banjo is severely allergic. she got the shot last year and nearly died. :(

Guest BlackandBrindle

Ours get it. Even if we only board twice or three times a year, it's still worth it to me. They also travel with us so most places will require the vaccine.

Guest CaroleWithRunningDogs

I've stopped giving it - after looking into it (reading Shock to the System, How to have a healthy dog without going to the poor house, and Pet Allergies an epidemic, ) I decided to stop it for my dogs, treat them with antibiotics if they get a cough. It is required for kenneling situations and usually recommended for dogs who interact with many other dogs - but the efficacy of the vaccine is borderline as viruses morph incredibly easily. Sort of like that Lyme disease vaccine that has a 33% success rate. So we'll see. Years ago when one of my dogs got kennel cough after a stay at the Vets they didn't even treat it with antibiotics, just told me to see that my dog got rest.

I just started in January having the dogs on a raw diet to boost their immune system rather than rely on vaccines to keep us healthy. :gh_face Carole

Guest mountain4greys

I don't board my 5, but my vet does think it's a good idea to get the vaccine because of all the meet and greets. You never know what kind of vet care the other dogs get when they come into the pet stores. I've seen some sick dogs, so I'd rather be safe than sorry. My vet agrees 100%. :):)

This is the one vaxx that we do regularly. I work at a doggie daycare and we go to the dog park every once in awhile. Our daycare requires bordatella every 6 months. It will not protect against all strains, but it is a precaution that I feel is worth taking when your dogs are around strange dogs. None of my dogs have ever had any sort of problem from it.

It is required for kenneling situations and usually recommended for dogs who interact with many other dogs - but the efficacy of the vaccine is borderline as viruses morph incredibly easily.

One tiny correction- bordetella (Bordetella bronchiseptica) is actually a bacterium. :)

"Kennel cough," however, can be caused by a number of viral or bacterial agents. It is not specific to bordetella.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

My vet hasn't said anything one way or the other. I did have them vaccinated when I was thinking of kenneling them while I was on vacation, but I don't do it routinely.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

My dogs do get the bordatella vaccine every 6 months. On all other vaccines we are on the 3 year protocol. I do board a couple times a year.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg