Bordatella Vaccine

Guest DoofBert

Guest GunnyGirl

I've decided that I won't be getting it for Gunny on a regular basis. We don't do anything where we come in contact with multiple strange dogs. She had had the vaccine when I got her, which I think is a good idea since she was in situations to warrant it.

I had never vaccinated any of my dogs for this before I started working at the humane society, but started at that point because if I remember it correctly, it is highly contagious and I could even bring it home on my shoes, clothes, etc. But my dogs were all very healthy and I've never owned a dog that came down with anything fitting the "kennel cough" description.

We get it if we're going to be boarding or encountering lots of dogs -- for example, we got it @ 1 month before going to GHA. Having had a dog with kennel cough (can you say "no sleep for a week"?) I figure some protection is better than none. Deanna's pup is the only one I've heard of have a reaction to it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I tried to convince my vet that I didn't need it because I never board my greys, but she knows that I go to these greyhound gatherings and meet and greets and said I should get them vaccinated because of that. So they are.

We do the nasal vaccine and we (I now work at my vet's office) put it down as being effective for one year. I have run into boarding facilities that require the vaccination to be within the past six months and I try to warn our clients of that if I know they board their pets.

I did recently have to explain about the vaccine's efficacy to a client whose dog had been vaccinated but was still diagnosed with kennel cough, and therefore could not be boarded. Checking in on H&M has been quite helpful to me working as a receptionist (clients usually assume that we're nurses/techs when they call and expect us to know the answers to their questions).

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).