Curly Sue A/k/a Reba's Secret

Guest wmlcml6

Our beloved first mama girl, Curly Sue, is gone. She would have been 13 in December. Not only did she deliver our first litter of puppies for us, she was the first greyhound I ever had in my house. I distinctly remember telling Bill, "As soon as those pups are weaned, she is going back to the kennel." That was 7 years ago, and it's an understatement to say that girl changed my life.

Greyhound_Rebas_Secret-big.jpg

Curly was super competitive with other greyhounds, completely affectionate with every person she came in contact with, and smart, too. I will miss her standing in the living room with her super cool ears standing straight up, stomping like a bull and huffing at us when we didn't pay attention to her, or give her a treat. :beatheart

Tuesday night at about 9 p.m., her motor function got wacky and she couldn't walk very well. We've been through that several times since her stroke almost two years ago. (Dr. H saved her with acupuncture that time, but it was different then --her eyes were clear and he said she wasn't ready to go. I feel so blessed for the extra time he gave us with her, but we still were not prepared.) Bill brought home a shot of Dexamethosone yesterday morning, which usually got her back on track, but not this time. Curly had a major stroke yesterday afternoon, which paralyzed her right side. We think she became blind in at least one eye. I rushed home from work and spent about an hour with her before our vet appointment. During that hour, she really only showed signs of knowing me when I first sat on the floor with her. I wrapped my arms around her neck and just snuggled with her, something she always loved. Then she looked at me and gave me the sweetest kiss. And had another seizure within moments. The vet was kind enough to meet us outside at the truck and gently put her to sleep without us having to move her again.

My heart tells me it's best that we helped her go because now she won't suffer anymore, but I also don't believe she was ready to leave us and that is very hard. She was scared to death that she couldn't move properly, and her eyes had no focus. But she fought to be strong til the very end. Before she left, I told Curly to go find Einstein and play with him because I'm sure he misses us a lot, and to please keep an eye on us stoopid humans.

We buried Curly near the puppy runs at the house in a spot that has sun and shade. She loved to lay in the sun.

It's hard to believe how empty the house feels now. We lost Einstein (our goldie, also 13 yrs old) on July 9th, and now that Curly is gone, too, even Rosemary and Annie seem depressed.

When I e-mailed Linda, who owns Fat Pat (Curly's son and one of the first pups Bill and I ever raised) I got a chill bump response from her.

Cathie, I am so sad for you. I wish I could've met Curly Sue. I love her for giving life to Fatpat. He was so pensive last night, wanting to be cuddled and stroked. Same thing this morning. He laid on my bed and seemed sad. I wonder if Curly Sue stopped to say goodbye to her pups before she left for good. Thank you for giving her a good long life and for Fatpat. I saw him race on a vault video and he did his mama proud. He will meet her at the Bridge. Until then ......

and then a second e-mail from her .... Last night when I came home I told Fatpat. We cuddled and discussed his past. He has such a sweet face, and he looks at me when I talk to him like he knows just what I am saying. It makes me feel better that Curly Sue lived to the age of 13. That hopefully means I will have Fatpat longer. He will be 7 on November 9th. I have to bring him to see you now. Please tell me again where you are and what hotels nearby allow dogs. I will drive down and you can hold him. He is such a beautiful red fawn, and his fur is as soft as a bunny's.

We are planning a weekend for Fat Pat and Linda to visit us soon. I cannot wait. That is my silver lining right now.

Curly with the Banjo Boyz...

Curly_Pup2005_02120008.jpg

Lovin' Life...

curly2.jpg

Curly and Rosemary...

2005_02050025.jpg

Curly Sue, being silly, just a couple of weeks ago.

904Curly1.jpg

And finally, a video from about a month ago. I call it "Welcome to my Chaos". It shows Rosemary, Stranger, Annie and Bonnie the bloodhound (Anne's foster) playing like crazy in the living room, and Curly the Matriarch in one of her more sweet and sophisticated moments.

I have another couple of pics I took yesterday morning, not knowing they would be the last I would ever take, but I haven't been able to download them yet.

Thank you for letting me share.

Rest in peace pain free, Beautiful Girl.

Reba's Secret - lovingly known as Curly Sue. 9/20/06

Edited by wmlcml6

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KennelMom

Cathie - I'm so sorry about Curly Sue and Einstein. I can't imagine losing two babies so close together in time...my heart goes out to you. Thank you for sharing Curly Sue's story with us...She will always live in your heart and memory.

Godspeed, Curly Sue...I know you are in good company at the Bridge :cry1

:( Oh no. Cathie, I am so so so sorry to read this. I'm so very sorry for your and Bill's loss. Run free, beautiful Curly Sue.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your beautiful tribute to your sweet girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Cathie, we all weep with you. Curly Sue was an amazing girl and will be missed so much!

Farewell, Beautiful!

:weep

:grouphug

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I am so shocked to read this, and so very sad for you and Bill. :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

Cathy, I'm so sorry. My sympathies to you and Bill. Thank you for sharing Curly Sue with us.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Guest DogDayzGreyz

Oh Cathie and Daddy Bill. I will never forget cuddeling with Curly Sue while Bill shushed me in front of the TV. I think we both looked at him like "huh"! She was a very special girl and I bet Einstein is showing her the ropes right now. Unless Thunder got there first, like I've always told you, he loves the red girls!

God Speed, Curly, you will be so missed here on earth. :(

I'm very sorry about your loss. She sounds like she was a great girl.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Cathie I am so sorry for your losses. I was not aware you had also lost Einstein, and now Curly Sue.

Earlier in the week you may have seen that Zinger passed away also from a seizure of some kind.

I have Zing's littermate, Bones. Bones is very food motivated and has NEVER missed a meal. Ever.

He refused his breakfast that morning and I could not for the life of me imagine why. Now, I know why. I swear they do know somehow.

Rest well sweet Curly Sue and Einstein. You are loved. f_yellow

:f_red