Grey lifespan  

141 members have voted

1. 1. How old did you grey live to be?

• 12-14 years
    • 10-12 years
    • 8-10 years
    • 6-8 years
    • 4-6 years

We lost our first, Bo, to fulmanent liver failure at 12 1/2 yrs old. Our second, Jim, died at almost 10 from a spinal injury. My old gentleman, Ryce, is 13. Gus is almost 8 and Isabella is 5.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RICHandJUDE

Our 1st grey lived to be 15 1/2 . She was in fantastic

health until she was 13 1/2. She was not in pain the last

2 years but she had a bad back. We had to finally put her down.

I now have a male and female, both from the same litter

and ages 4 1/2.

Guest geriz

This info has been very informative. Hopefully th efolks who have said they won't get a grey because they don't live long will see the stats and rethink it. I'd get antoher one no matter what - they are definitely special - but it's nice to know how high the numbers are in the 12-14 range!

You don't have an other option :)

Magic was 16 1/2.

I also need the other option. Susie was 15.

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Foxy is 11 1/2

Jake 7

Jet 4

QUOTE(Burpdog @ Jun 19 2006, 01:32 PM)

You don't have an other option

Magic was 16 1/2.

Two of my favourite pups. :wub:

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest geriz
Foxy is 11 1/2

Jake 7

Jet 4

QUOTE(Burpdog @ Jun 19 2006, 01:32 PM)

You don't have an other option

Magic was 16 1/2.

Two of my favourite pups. :wub:

I tried to go back and add an "Other" option but couldn't seem to access that part of my post. How do you do it?

Guest geriz
I've read a lot of stories on greytalk about greys passing young but I just know they are plenty who live long lives.

I got my boy at 10 months and he will be 5 in December. I'm hoping to have many, many more years with him.

Please let me know your experiences - age span and cause of loss. Thanks

45.45% in the 12-14 range! That is GOOD news!!!!!!!

CBDTherapyDogs noted thusly in the behavior forum. The relevant bit is in bold, below:

It started with the Borzoi, but now my Saluki and Silken Windhounds do this. Now its slowly catching on with the others. Its not a complaint to fill them up in the bathroom, but what's with the well water? I know there is something with it that is obviously good for humans and animals, otherwise I wouldn't of had a great-great-great aunt pass at 108 and her sister at 106; my grandmother was almost 100 and her sister and brother were not far behind her; my oldest Greyhounds who have passed were 18 and 16; my oldest Borzoi passed after a stroke at 14 (he was helped due to the stroke); and currently my oldest living hound is a rescued Afghan Hound at 20 (Sept he'll be 21) followed by a few of my Grey's at 15, 15, 14, 14, and 13. The one thing they all had in common? The same water source.

That's pretty impressive, IMHO. Maybe we can get a water report from her well. :lol

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest geriz
CBDTherapyDogs noted thusly in the behavior forum. The relevant bit is in bold, below:

It started with the Borzoi, but now my Saluki and Silken Windhounds do this. Now its slowly catching on with the others. Its not a complaint to fill them up in the bathroom, but what's with the well water? I know there is something with it that is obviously good for humans and animals, otherwise I wouldn't of had a great-great-great aunt pass at 108 and her sister at 106; my grandmother was almost 100 and her sister and brother were not far behind her; my oldest Greyhounds who have passed were 18 and 16; my oldest Borzoi passed after a stroke at 14 (he was helped due to the stroke); and currently my oldest living hound is a rescued Afghan Hound at 20 (Sept he'll be 21) followed by a few of my Grey's at 15, 15, 14, 14, and 13. The one thing they all had in common? The same water source.

That's pretty impressive, IMHO. Maybe we can get a water report from her well. :lol

That's funny!!! I actually used to give my dogs bottled water but then I got one who is a wateraholic. He goes thru OVER a gallon a day and with 5 furkids, I just couldn't afford it anymore. I really believe that quality food (not that cheap crap with preservatives and beaks etc.) makes a difference.

• 3 months later...
Guest indigojen

4 bridge angels:

Midge, age 14 (basically just old age)

Opal, age 14 (we suspect nasal cancer)

Wave, age 7 (soft tissue sarcoma)

Willie, age 8 (we suspect Leptospirosis)

My Penny is 8 and thinks she is three. Miss Bell is 12, and at 11 survived Hurricane Katrina, two weeks alone (except for her fur-siblings) after the hurricane before being rescued by the ASPCA, a GUR from New Orleans to Pittsburgh, and her first Pittsburgh winter. She loves to chase Penny, play with stuffies, and eat. She is a tough old broad in great health. She has a little tremor in her back end when she squats to pee but is doing great on Glucosamine and Fresh Factors. I hope they both live many more happy healthy years.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

Guest RICHandJUDE

We lost our first greyhound at age 15 1/2. She was

in excellant shape until age 13, when she had some

degenerative back problems.

We now have a brother-sister combination who will

be 5 yrs old on November 12th. They are both in

excellant condition. Regardless of age, they never

live long enough.

Dancer is 12.5 and doing well. She was doing laps in the yard this evening with the other dogs. Dylan is 10 and as handsome and sassy as ever. Donner is 9 and is your typical goofy black tuxie.

We lost Dixie suddenly in July. She was 8. :( We believe she had a tumor deep in her brain that ruptured. She was diagnosed one year prior with vestibular disease.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest RMGAJAN

At the Bridge

Razor - 10 - Osteo

Beauford - 10 - Tumor on spine

Shy - 13.5 - probable cancer

Irish - 13.5 - "Old Age" (neuromyopathy, could no longer navigate)

Tommy - 11 - tumor involving the liver

Kelly - 6 - leukemia

Bermuda -11 - Probable blood clot

Still around:

Buzz - 11.5

Oprah - 11

and the "kids"

Alvin - 7

Cisco - 7

PTS :cry1

14 - Shari, inoperable shoulder injury

9 - Sandee, osteo

9.5 - Wells, osteo

Living

Phoenix - 14.5, health and happy

Derby - 11, just dx with osteo :weep

Finn - 5, great health

:beatheart:heart:beatheart:heart:beatheart:heart:beatheart:heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest albrodie
You don't have an other option :)

Magic was 16 1/2.

Wow, maybe the name had something to do with it! I hope my puppers are at least close to being that lucky. I can't imagine having mine diagnosed with something so early. Suzie is 4 1/2 and Zoe 2 1/2. I'm very glad to see that so many live so long. I'm glad you decided to get the stats on this. I've only read about the ones who have been lost and they all seemed way too young. It's also interesting that many have passed from a variety of conditions and not just osteo. We will see them all again though. They are patiently waiting for us.

Edited by albrodie