141 members have voted

1. 1. How old did you grey live to be?

• 12-14 years
    • 10-12 years
    • 8-10 years
    • 6-8 years
    • 4-6 years

Guest geriz

I've read a lot of stories on greytalk about greys passing young but I just know they are plenty who live long lives.

I got my boy at 10 months and he will be 5 in December. I'm hoping to have many, many more years with him.

Please let me know your experiences - age span and cause of loss. Thanks

Edited by geriz

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kipsmom

Blue was young when she passed... she was 8. Rare blood disease.

Kip is 4 and going strong! :lol

Edited by Kipsmom

Guest jettcricket

My first greyhound, Chance, died very young (5 years) from Osteo. He was diagnosed at the tender age of 4. :(

Jett is going to be 8 this August and my girlie, Cricket, is going to be 9. Both appear very healthy. I can't believe my kids are seniors. Don't tell Cricket thou....she thinks she's still a puppy. :)

I haven't lost one of mine, but Echo just turned 8 years young in May and our boys will be 7 in July :)

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest jettcricket
This osteo - man - I HATE it!!!!! I sure hope that research that is being done provides some answers/solutions SOON!!!!!

...Me too. :sad1

Guest LisaLGK

Our Callie was only 5 when she died of a suspected brain tumor.

Daisy is currently 4, so she's still young...

Edited by LisaLGK

Brody - osteo - 10yo

Rachel - thyroid tumor - 13yo

Helen - kidney disease - 12yo

Noah - pancreatic tumor - 10yo

Motorcade - osteo - 9yo

Pecoe - osteo - 11yo

My Fantana turned 13 on June 10th and appears to be very healthy.

The first puppy our adoption group placed died at 3.5 from epilepsy. One of the oldest - a 10yo we rescued from a medical research facility - died at 16.

I really think 10 is a more average number for life expectancy, but it really depends on each dog.

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville, KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

I answered for my oldest greyhound, Jim, who was around thirteen and a half when he died from heart failure. A couple of years before that I'd lost Susan at nine to kidney cancer.

At the moment I have Jack who is nearly eleven, and Renie, coming up eight - both pretty healthy. :goodluck

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest greytbookert

Our Booker was with us until he was just 2 weeks shy of his 14th birthday. We lost him to Laryngeal Paralysis.

Currently, we have a brood mama who just turned 12, another brood who was 11 in January, two boys ages 7 and 8 and all are healthy.

With any breed, when we choose to adopt a dog, I think we all hope that they will be with us for a very long time. What I have learned is no matter how long we have them, it is never long enough and to enjoy each day, as they are all special.

Guest PhillyPups

I could not vote as I lost my beloved Runner just shy of his 8th birthday, as we stood at a M&G, he was the picture of health, he had a massive heart attack and went right over, so quickly his knees never bent. I can still hear the sound, and feel him just leave my side as I was scritching him.

The Most Divine Ms. SugarBear lost the battle to osteocarcinoma at the sweet age of 14.5.

I currently have:

BarbieJade - 12 on 5/1/06

Stepper - 10 on 9/10/05

TigerPower - 8 on 5/1/06 and

Zeus - 6 on 12/17/05

Stepper is a much younger 10 than BarbieJade was at that age, but the oldest soul in my pack is my baby, Zeus, he has always been an old soul, and Stepper always a clown puppy.

Whenever we lose them, it is ALWAYS way too soon, and I am NEVER ready. :weep

Edited by PhillyPups

I lost my first grey Devotion at 7 to osteo. I have greys now from 2.5-10.5 and all doing well.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest geriz
You don't have an other option :)

Magic was 16 1/2.

wow - you're so lucky to have had Magic for so long!! I'll see if I can add an "other" option.

I could not vote as I lost my beloved Runner just shy of his 8th birthday, as we stood at a M&G, he was the picture of health, he had a massive heart attack and went right over, so quickly his knees never bent. I can still hear the sound, and feel him just leave my side as I was scritching him.

The Most Divine Ms. SugarBear lost the battle to osteocarcinoma at the sweet age of 14.5.

I currently have:

BarbieJade - 12 on 5/1/06

Stepper - 10 on 9/10/05

TigerPower - 8 on 5/1/06 and

Zeus - 6 on 12/17/05

Stepper is a much younger 10 than BarbieJade was at that age, but the oldest soul in my pack is my baby, Zeus, he has always been an old soul, and Stepper always a clown puppy.

My goodness - poor Runner!! That is so sad!!! I can't imagine how you must have felt!

Edited by geriz

I voted 12-14 as Cosmo lived to be 14y, 4.5m. She had survived lymphoma for 28 m from when I first felt her nodes enlarged. She also had a probable case of degenerative myelopathy (doggie MS). She appeared to be cancer-free when we let her go to the bridge. She could no longer walk, and as best as we could tell, that was either/both from the DM or the prednisone used to treat the DM and the lymphoma.

There is a man from England on the GH-L, Richard, who has had more than one live past 15 if I'm not mistaken.

ETA--Daisy will be six in Aug. She has some food allergies, but is otherwise healthy, though often in danger of injuring herself because she runs everywhere.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest jettcricket

That is very sad...and, yes, your right. We are never ready. :(

Guest fastdogs

James was less than two months shy of his 6th brithday when he went to the bridge after suffering an FCE. Bonanza turned 6 this past November.

Guest geriz
James was less than two months shy of his 6th brithday when he went to the bridge after suffering an FCE. Bonanza turned 6 this past November.

What is FCE? That is so young to lose him.

Guest MPPwith3

My Topaz died at 5 of liver diseaser, her half brother (who I never met) died at 4 of liver and kidney disease.

My Brindle died at 8 to Hemangio sarcoma.

Two boys that I babysit and were very fond of:

Domino died of auto immune at age 7.

Clyde died at 8 of osteo.