• 10-12 years
    • 8-10 years
    • 6-8 years
    • 4-6 years

I guess there are no guarantees -

AJ - 6, accidental overdose

Daisy - 10, lymphoma

Vicky - 12, osteo

I now have Casey (4), Jake (6.5) and a newly arrived girl (7.5, still seeing if she is going to fit in).

You hope they live forever, but just have to treasure the time you have together, no matter how long or short.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SillyDog

Carly is going on 5 and Prancer is around 10

But the thing I wanted to post about a few months back I was at a party where the hostess introduced me to a coworker of hers who has a greyhound. He was 19 at that point and, other than very old, doing well. I wish I'd gotten her phone number or email so I could learn more about him!

Bubba lived to be 11 but Piper made it to 17 1/2.

Currently, Oba is 10 and doing well and Amandita is 5 and a maniac :lol

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

Guest geriz

17 1/2 - that's a record so far!!!!!!!

But the thing I wanted to post about a few months back I was at a party where the hostess introduced me to a coworker of hers who has a greyhound. He was 19 at that point and, other than very old, doing well. I wish I'd gotten her phone number or email so I could learn more about him!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trouper was a few months over 10 when we discovered he had osteo,

but had a severely life-threatening incident when he was 8, where we almost lost him due to an enlarged spleen.

:( ,

-C

Edited by Vertragi

IPB Image

Guest JudiK

Copper turned 11 in February, we had to put him to sleep before the end of that month. He began showing signs of disk degeneration right after Christmas, our vets managed to control it for only two months before he could no longer walk or stand.

We lost our Angel Sophia at age 12 from a ruptured disc in her neck. :(

LaceyLaine will be 12 in August

Flashy will be 8 next month.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Del was 11.5

Jessie was 13.5

Maddison was 4

Stanley is 10 (will be 11 in Dec)

Wallace is 7 (will be 8 next month)

Sally is 12 (as of yesterday :) )

Flo is approx 13

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest GreytfullDad

I voted 12--14. Dee was just shy of 12 when we lost her to "bloat", Miss Ellie was 14 heart attack

Bill is 8 next month, Sheana is 4, Monty will be 4 in August, Tasha is 10 & Ginny is 4.5 months. All healthy to date :goodluck:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck:goodluckB)

Guest geriz

Interesting results - The highest number is 12-14 years which is awesome but sad how many fall into the 4-6 year range!

12-14 years [ 14 ] [42.42%]

10-12 years [ 7 ] [21.21%]

8-10 years [ 6 ] [18.18%]

6-8 years [ 2 ] [6.06%]

4-6 years [ 4 ] [12.12%]

Edited by geriz

Guest geriz
I voted 12--14. Dee was just shy of 12 when we lost her to "bloat", Miss Ellie was 14 heart attack

Bill is 8 next month, Sheana is 4, Monty will be 4 in August, Tasha is 10 & Ginny is 4.5 months. All healthy to date :goodluck:goodluck:goodluck:goodluck:goodluckB)

Are grey's more prone to heart attacks than other dogs?

Huggy Bear will be 14 in November. He has no 'major' health problems thus far. Just a few little things here and there that can be expected from an old man of his age... and I try not to spend too much time worrying about what's going to take him from me. I just try to enjoy him as much as I can.

Guest geriz

:)

Huggy Bear will be 14 in November. He has no 'major' health problems thus far. Just a few little things here and there that can be expected from an old man of his age... and I try not to spend too much time worrying about what's going to take him from me. I just try to enjoy him as much as I can.

What a cute name! Welcome to Greytalk

Guest jettcricket

Susie the greyhound from Ocean City, NJ, lived to be almost 20!! I've met her Mom and Dad and they are super nice people.

Guest geriz

Susie the greyhound from Ocean City, NJ, lived to be almost 20!! I've met her Mom and Dad and they are super nice people.

That is amazing - did they say if they did anything special? Special food or something? Or maybe their baby just got good genes.

Guest jettcricket

That is amazing - did they say if they did anything special? Special food or something? Or maybe their baby just got good genes.

...I think she was just a dog with good genes. I had heard that Susie was "rescued" from a bad situation (not within the racing community), but from private individuals at an older age.....I believe she was around 11, but please don't quote me. I think God had a lot of compassion and love for Susie and gave her a lot more years to make up for all the bad that happened in her life. She truly was a special girl. :angelwings

Guest KyGrey

I can't vote but Molly just turned 5 in May and Lee will be 11 in November. Lee sometimes has a little loss in his backend but with Glucosamine does very well.

We lost our Gracie at the age of 9 1/2 to Lymposarcoma in Feb

we have

Max at 9 1/2

Dreamie 7 and

Clara will be four in July

and hopefully will have all three for a long time to come, but you

never know......

What a cute name! Welcome to Greytalk

Thanks geriz. I wish I had discovered this site a year ago when Huggy Bear (sometimes I call him Buggie) started showing his age. Everyone's input provides a huge wealth of information on greyhounds that is really hard to find from books and generalized veterinary sites... and even from my vet.

Guest Tenderhearts

I lost my first greyhound, Bart, to a ruptured disc shortly before his 5th birthday, so this is my first journey into the senior years with a greyhound. Lori Ann just turned 13 yesterday :wub: Randy is our newest greyhound addition, and he turned 5 on April 1st :)

Guest GreytfullDad

Are grey's more prone to heart attacks than other dogs?

Not that i am aware of. I guesss like most atheletes, if all remains equal, they stay fairly healty unttil the heart gives out. Since greys seem to have a fairly long lifespan relatively speaking, it just may be that you see more of them? JMHO

Guest geriz

I'm liking the results of the voting - 12-14 years - 44.68%.

I suspected that there were plenty of greys that lived long lives. I hope my boy is one of them!! However long he has - they have and will all be good years - he is spoiled ROTTON!!!!!!!!!