Slick

Guest Yat4

We lost our old friend yesterday. He had made it to sixteen years old, but when he couldn't stand up yesterday and didn't seem to have any will to fight anymore, we knew that he was telling us it was time.

He started life in a 'oops' litter. His purebred dalmatian mother had met a neighbor's st. bernard in a late night trist. So he came to my husband from the back of a pick-up truck in a store parking lot. He started out as a mostly white fat little puppy, with one black spot that grew with him. He became my husband's best friend while he was living away from his small hometown and living in the "big city" by himself for the first time.

I moved in to the rental house next door to this pair, and my first memories of my husband-to-be were of hearing a ruckus in his backyard, looking to see what was going on, and see him being apparently mauled by this big black and white furball. After I saw the smiles and hugs, I figured out they were just horsing around. :) Each day, I saw him come home from work and spend hours out in the backyard playing with his buddy. It was very sweet. Then one day, Slick decided to dig a hole in my yard and get into a fight with my chow Rocky. That is how we met. I had to go over and ask him to please get Slick out of my yard. :lol

After we were married, it took Slick and Rocky a while to learn to like each other, but then they were fast friends. They even invented a game together, where Slick would toss the ball and Rocky would fetch it and bring it back to Slick. They would play this game for hours by themselves! :lol When they both got older, they were like two grumpy old men. If one wasn't happy, the other wasn't either. They reminded dh and I of the two old men that sat in the balcony on the muppet show. :) When Rocky passed away a few years ago, it was hard on Slick. He really missed his old buddy and did have much to do with these rowdy new "kids" that we had. Now he is back with his old friend, where there are endless balls to play with and no one is old and gray. We will miss you old guy and hope you will be waiting for us when we get there.

post-5344-1136394132_thumb.jpg

Guest greyt_parents

What a wonderful story.

Rocky and Slick are together again at the bridge...I bet Rocky was waiting for Slick at the entrance...

What a lovely tribute to a precious and cherished old soul... :beatheart Godspeed, Slick.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What a touching story!!

Sorry for your loss...

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

I'm so sorry for your and your husband's loss. :grouphugf_yellow

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Now he is back with his old friend, where there are endless balls to play with and no one is old and gray
1851866[/snapback]

I think this bit just about did me in :weep

Night night Slick :wub:

:f_red

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I am so sorry. :candle

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg