Six Months Ago Today

Guest greytgreymom

Guest greytgreymom

We had lost Greyhounds before he left us, and we have lost Greyhounds since he left us. But it was his loss that hit us the hardest and continues to cause us the most pain and grief of any of them.

Why is that? How can a Greyhound which we had only known for 18 months, a Greyhound who came to us as a package of skin, bones, fleas and sores, a Greyhound who developed into a beautiful boy filled with love and caring and forgiveness for the species which had caused him so much pain and hurt, have had such an impact on our lives?

What was is about Old Fella that causes me to think about him daily and still feel his presence and love surrounding us on the worst of days? What was it about Old Fella that doesn't permit Scott and I to even talk about him yet without starting to cry?

Someone asked me one time was she wrong to not mourn and lament about the passing of her Greyhound as strongly as some people seem to do. I understood what she was saying. We have lost Greyhounds before. We mourn their passing, but the pain seemed to fade away until all that remained was the fun and loving memories of the good times with that Greyhounds. But I now see myself as one of those people who is having trouble moving on.

Today, I will move on. Today, I will let the pain go away and will allow the joy and love to remain. Today, I will celebrate Old Fella and his legacy of love, caring and the resiliency of the Greyhound spirit - and I hope his friends in the Greyhound community will join me in that celebration.

Old Fella still "visits" me on occasion. He seems to come when it is quiet in the house, the other Greys are sleeping and I am sewing. I see him out of the corner of my eye, running like the wind and frolicking in the yard. He is young and whole again.

Old Fella left this world on March 29, 2005, at 1:45 p.m. CST. Today at 1:45 p.m. CST, I will light a candle, say a prayer, and be at my sewing machine. I hope Old Fella visits again today so that I can celebrate his life with him as he runs around and finally let the pain go.

Old Fella Remembered

Cheryl

Guest greyt_parents

:cry1:cry1:cry1

My heart grey also passed away almost 6 months ago and so I totally understand your post. Just saying his name often brings tears to my eyes...

I admire your strength, your desire to honour him today...

:grouphug:f_white

Guest argolola

I followed Old Fella from the beginning. How wonderful that he had you in his last years. Surely your family was the light of his life. God bless you as you remember.

Old Fella :angelwings visit your momma and let her know that everything is alright

:grouphug for you Cheryl, I'll light a candle for Old Fella today too and hope that he finds his way to you

Guest Houndmama

Cheryl, I gladly join you in celebrating Old Fella's life! I followed his story from the first day and loved him from afar. You and Scott were his angels and I am so grateful that he had you guys. The end of his life was absolute quality and I am sure that he knew that he was loved and adored. I will never forget him either and will celebrate his life by holding his memory in my heart forever.

I will light a candle for him today as well. Godspeed Old Fella.

You and Old Fella have been an inspiration to me. I was thinking of Old Fella when I adopted Susie on March 3rd at almost 14 years old with her kidney disease and Pannus. I only hope that Susie makes it to 15 like Old Fella did. When I take Susie to the chiropractor/acupuncture Dr I think of Old Fella going through the same thing. Old Fella rest in peace. You deserve to. :f_white

PRINCESS
ANGELS: SUSIE (BANDIT SUE) 3/26/1991-5/13/2006, TIPPER (MPS KRISTINA) 7/23/1999-2/4/2008, LADYBUG (BB'S LADYBUG) 5/19/2005-7/9/2008,
HAPPY 12/2000-10/9/2013, RICHY (DON L RICHY RICH) 11/5/2002-5/17/2015, DARREN 9/24/2005-3/2/2017, TUCKER (AWESOME ABILITY) 12/29/2004-12/4/2017,
BUG (BB'S DANCING BUG) 5/19/2005-11/17/2018, Dee (KIOWA DIANDRA) 10/9/2007-6/20/2022, Buddy (PJ PLUTARCH) 11/21/2013-9/8/2023)

Old Fella kind of made me think of a Rock Star...the Rock Star of Greyhounds, he was..when he came to Houston for Magic's birthday party you would have thought he had groupies..who all showed up to take his picture and admire him.

He was the best "shrimp gummer" I ever met and he was as lovely as you think he was in person.

And yes, he did pass away knowing he was loved...of this I am totally sure.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Guest hamiesmom

I, too, followed the story of "Old Fella" and the truly wonderful care the two of you gave to him in his final 18 months on earth. The two of you are truly "angels". It also surprises me how much these wonderful creatures can forgive and love after what they have to endure. Old Fella was one of those special greyhounds that no matter what, you will never forget. He will always come and visit you in those quiet times as you were the ones he loved the most and the last and for what you gave back to him, to let him know that we are not all bad. I will light a candle tonight and give a big hug to my sweet boy. :f_white

What was is about Old Fella that causes me to think about him daily and still feel his presence and love surrounding us on the worst of days? What was it about Old Fella that doesn't permit Scott and I to even talk about him yet without starting to cry?

Well, I'm sitting here crying.

I remember the first time I met him at your place while picking up Magic. What struck me was his absolution of the human race for what had been done to him. He walked from person to person to get pets. For me, the depth of the forgiveness in his soul is moving and I cannot grasp or comprehend the sweetness of his soul to be able to do that :wub:

How wonderful he is still close and having a great time!!! He's sticking around the people who loved him :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Oh sweet Old Fella...you were so loved by all of us here. You are so missed. Please continue to send your family Rainbows from the Bridge. Run free sweetie. :f_red:grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

How Old Fella touched my heart as he did so many here on greytalk. I remember the original posts about how he was found and the condition he was in, I showed my dh his pictures and he was horrified at the condition, of course I cried many, many tears for him and from that day on I have thought about Old Fella every single day, even if only for a moment and in those moments I fell myself smile knowing that Old Fella was able to find true happiness even if only for a short time. How blessed you and your family were to have been given the opportunity to share your lives with Old Fella. I can't believe it's been 6 months since his passing :( I still think of him at least once a day, but we all know that now he is healthy and whole at the bridge and probably running and playing his little heart out.

Thank you for sharing him with us.

:grouphug:gh_runner:angelwings:angel:gh_runner

Praying for all the missing greys!

Old Fella was one of those special greys, one of those that are impossible to forget. His personality and heart were big enough to reach out and touch all of us across cyber-land. And the love and life you and Scott showed him was and always will be an inspiration.

:grouphug:cry1:bighug

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

It was a privilege to meet him at Magic's birthday party. He wasn't too interested in anyone unless they had *the right kind of* food. Lynn hit it right on with the shrimp. Slurp slurp slurp.

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

I hear you. Some just seem to crawl into our hearts and fill them up, then when they leave the void is huge. Maybe it's the rescue factor -- Miss Sissy was confiscated from the back yard of a drug dealer in Waco. She was found, just skin and bones, under a collapsed shed with five pups, three of whom didn't survive.

Watching her go from near death to a goofy, elegant, joyful couch princess was the best thing...seeing her get sick and pass on just seemed so unfair for someone who'd already been through so much.

Our "heart children" really are different than the others. It's hard to explain, but I guess I really don't want to.

Many hugs and sympathies to you. :grouphug

I too followed Old Fella's story and checked often for updates. My life was made richer just by hearing his story and watching him blossom in your tender loving care. I hope that time will begin to ease the pain, but I surely understand how difficult it is to lose one this special that has touched the heart so deeply. Warmest of hugs from Kansas :grouphug