Stepper ~ Ima Step Ahead 9/10/95 - 2/7/09

Guest PhillyPups

Guest PhillyPups

My big brindle boy. I love him so and am totally ripped to pieces. Stepper traveled my journey for almost 7 wonderful years. He raced 224 races (a decent number) and retired at the age of 5. He never met a stranger, loved everybody and everyone he met.

Stepper eased everone into our home, and gave whatever therapy was needed.

Stepper is my hero hound. I watched his last races, fell in love with him when he came into the adoption kennel, and tried to find him a home for 1-1/2 years he was there. No one wanted this big goofy boy.

Stepper's adoption picture:

SteppersFirst.jpg

When I lost my beloved Runner very suddenly, while we were at a M&G, SugarBear went into severe depression. I could not handle losing both hounds in a week, and was told she needed another greyhound to get her out of it. I brought Stepper home and within 1-1/2 hours of his being there she ate for the first time since I lost Runner. Stepper was always gentle with Sugs. I thought maybe cause he was old. When I lost Sugs at 14.5 to osteo, Stepper was lonely, so I took him to get him a companion. Stepper picked Zeus. Stepper knew Zeus needed him. Step acted as Zeus' guide dog, giving Zeus confidence (Zeus is a borderline spook with fear biting instincts). Stepper and Zeus played like maniac puppies, and Stepper helped Zeus blossom into the confident wonderful boy that he is.

I have always called Stepper my "nurse" hound. I remember when The Queen did not feel good, Stepper took his favorite screaming monkey, put it on her bed and laid down on the bed next to hers.

Stepper has worked with every dog that has come into my home, helping TigerPower overcome his fears, acclimating AnnaBanana to home life, and fell in love with Donnie, making Donnie feel at home from the moment he walked into the house.

Stepper is awesome, and just discovered the couch (at 13.25 years old) and has not given it up since. His back end had been very wobbly for a while.

I thank Heather for allowing Donnie to join our pack, Donnie is a combination (TigerPower by looks and Stepper by personality). Donniewas so good for Stepper for the last 2 weeks. He had Stepper playing. Thursday night, while he was outside his back end totally gave out (I had to carry my big boy back into the house and to his couch). Friday morning he got out and slowly went out to do his business. Friday evening he did not even get off the couch to eat, so I took the bowl to him, and a bowl of water. Stepper in a very goofy was was very dignified, and I know he needed to be let go with dignity and grace. I think once Donnie and Zeus were playbowing and playing together, Stepper felt his job was done. Stepper's quality of life was gone and I had to let him go.

I miss my boy so very very much.

Collars084.jpg

Stepper is my HERO, I love him so :wub:

Stepper.jpg

When I took Stepper in, the vet tech took one look at him and said "My God he is BEAUTIFUL" that is a term most folks (except me) rarely used for Stepper, but his beauty starts in his heart and works its way outward.

Stepper gave me 2 signs, as I was getting down on the quilt on the floor to let him go, as he was drifting down cause his legs wouldn't hold him up, my cell phone fell out of my sweatshirt pocket, and has not worked since. (I think Stepper took it with him to call all the angels to watch over me). As I was leaving the vet, I had on my country station and they were playing a block of music. First song I heard was The Dance, the second song was Wind Beneath My Wings.

When I walked back into the house, Zeus was looking for you, Donnie was looking on the other side of me, and AnnaBanana slipped her nose through Stepper's collar, so she is sporting it now. AnnaBanana has not left my side ~ she is so very very smart and sweet.

I feel strongly that Stepper waited till Donnie was settled in and he know that I would have a clown to entertain me ~ as Stepper was always the Clown Prince to The Queen. I think Stepper had a lot to do with Donnie being with us.

Run with the angels Stepper ~ I will always love you and I miss you so very very much.

Edited by PhillyPups

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pat, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I so wanted to meet Stepper in person. We spent so many nights talking on the phone and I was so lucky to share him with you that way. I don't know how many times we've laughed over something silly he's done while we were chatting. He was an awesome boy and so beautiful. I truly believe he brought Donnie to you so you would have someone there to make you laugh when he was gone. Stepper, always looking out for his mom.

Godspeed angel. You have so many pups to keep you busy until you can be reunited with your mom again.

A huge hug Pat, I know you can use one.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Aw, Pat. I'm so sorry your big handsome goof had to leave you.

Godspeed, special boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Pat, I am so sorry. I had a feeling his time on earth wasn't going to be long. Stepper was definately more than just a dog. He was a super hero of dogs for you and the others who have crossed your threshhold and also those he met on and offline. I was so surprised when he actually got up and played with Donnie when Donnie first came. There will be a super bright star in the sky tonight and from now on. It will be Stepper watching down on you and those you love. My heart is just breaking for you.

I am here if you need to talk or need anything. I'm sorry I never got the chance to meet Stepper in person but felt that I knew him from GT.

:grouphug:grouphugf_yellow:grouphug:grouphug

Run Free Stepper!! You were an angel on earth and now you fly high with no pain and a body that works.

Edited by KyGrey

Guest IrskasMom

What a horrible Day ! It seems . I do nothing but Crying ... and some more crying .First Ranger and now Stepper , it

is not letting up . I am just shaking my Head in disbelief. :weep:weep:weep:weep:f_red

I had to Edit ,something so beautiful I remembered

Dogs' lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and for the mistakes we make because of those illusions."

I don't know , how to use the Quote

Edited by IrskasMom

:f_red My friend,Stepper was your hero, and I believe that he knew that as much as he knew how very much you loved him.

Who could look at that face and not say he's beautiful, and it's a loss for the people who didn't see it.

Stepper had a job to do when Donnie came, and he did it with his head held high and I imagine a smile on his face. Then, his job was done. And I bet he now has another important job to do.

Stepper our friend, you are in the company of the Angels now, God speed and run with the wind, with your head held high and a smile on your face.

Please continue to watch over your mom.

Run free beautiful Stepper

:gh_run

In our hearts forever

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest argolola

I have tears in my eyes as I read your post. What a handsome, gorgeous, precious angel. I'm so sorry he had to leave. May God bless you and heal your broken heart, until you are reunited.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

What a beautiful tribute to a Beautifully amazing boy.

I've been allowed to share in Steppers life, if even if it was just by chatting with you on the phone. We all should be so blessed to share our homes with a Hero like Stepper.

Stepper bud, thank you for taking Donnie under your paw and showing him the way. I promise he will make you proud

GOD SPEED Step :angelwings:gh_run:angelwings

Oh Pat....I am so sorry. Know that my heart and prayers are with you. Stepper's journey continues with you throughout eternity...He isn't gone...he's in your heart and he will guide you until you meet again. Godspeed.... :grouphugf_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest PhillyPups
OMG Pat, I had no idea when I posted the topic in EEG. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye :weep:grouphug

But the post in EEG was a sign for me that the desicion was right for Stepper, just painful as he77 for me. It was truly a sign. Thank you.

Oh, not Stepper. :(

f_yellow

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

i'm sorry to read of this. i wish i could've met him, as well as the rest of your furkids that have gone on their way.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Stepper came into your life with a mission and you were so wise to see that and appreciate it. The angels are singing because they have another helper. There will be more signs from Stepper....................you'll see. Run free Stepper. I am so sorry, Pat. I pray that all those memories of Stepper will help heal your heart.

:f_white:f_white:f_white:f_white:f_white:f_white

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Pat, a simple I'm sorry just doesn't convey how I feel. It's all I have right now. Your tribute to Stepper is beautiful, and I do believe that they know when the time has come, it just hurts so much to agree with them. Sending you warm hugs. :grouphug

Godspeed dear Stepper :gh_run I bet the Queen and her sister were waiting for you.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I am so very sorry to hear that Stepper has gone to the bridge. I hope that the special memories you have of him will bring you comfort in the days ahead.

Hugs,

Carol Ann

f_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Stepper sounds like he was a wonderful character - I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye.

f_yellow:f_white:grouphug:heart:gh_run:heart:grouphug:f_whitef_yellow

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I wish I had words to help heal your hurt. Instead, a donation has been sent to Grey Haven in Stepper's memory to help another senior.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest LoveMyJoseyBean

Gosh Pat. I am really so very sorry. Stepper sounds like he was an extraordinary hound.

Your hero will watch over from the stars. Run fee Stepper.

f_yellow f_yellow

Edited by LoveMyJoseyBean

:weep :weep My eyes filled with tears as I read your beautiful tribute. I am so sorry he had to leave you, so dreadfully sorry. :cry1:grouphug :grouphug

Run free, beautiful Stepper. :gh_run2

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day.