Weird Scab/blood Blister Thing

So I realize it's hard to see in the photo, but Violet has had this thing on her chest for about a week now (at least since I noticed it):

0120171253a_zpsyoy6rml1.jpg

At first I thought it was a tick, but it's more like half scab, half blood blister. If you mess with it at all, it "bursts" and once you clean up the blood there's no obvious wound, just some slightly red, irritated skin around the area, and no continued bleeding. But a day or two later and the same sized bloody growth/scab like thing is there again.

Is this something to worry or see the vet about?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Larry has the same thing on his stomach, been there literally for years. Most times it's scabby looking, but once every few months or so it will enlarge and eventually open and be bloody (not terribly) then scab back over. It's never really gotten larger (in diameter) so in his case I'm guessing it's fine (since he's had it for years).

Nube had something on the outside of his foot for a while (years ago) that was more pink and raspberry looking, there's a name for it that escapes me now. Took a while for it to go away, but it did. What Larry has is different, and sounds just like what your girl has.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Jack had that on his thigh! I actually posted here about it, it was so bloody when it burst! We ended up taking a vet appointment, then a week prior, he licked the scab, ate it and it never came back...

Now he has one on the inside of his leg. It looks more like a beauty mark that would have scabbed over and would bleed when pierced. We are having a routine vet app next week, I will let you know what she says about it. He had it since March I would say, it is not growing.

Edited by locket

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

If you haven't had a vet look at it yet, I would suggest you do. If it is not changing, you may wait to the next vet appt, if that isn't too far in the future.

With that disclaimer, will say that it reminds me of a hemangioma, but not quite the same color as ones I've seen. (Perhaps just a photo or computer monitor thing.) Both Soleil's & mine are shades varying from red to purple, with a tendency to larger & smaller over time. Sol's tend to disappear completely after a few weeks or months. Mine very rarely burst, but Sol's are more prone to it. One of my hemangiomas is much too big to be removed. If it bleeds repeatedly, it is cauterized. That usually takes care of the problem for years. Sol's are very small. If repeated bleeding happens with one of his, the vet removes it by freezing, The first few I noticed these on Sol, the vet checked them out. Now, the guideline from the vet is to wait a few weeks. If it doesn't continue to grow larger & isn't bleeding repeatedly, then we don't worry about it. If one were to hang around for a long time, grow quite rapidly or get quite large, I'd have the vet test it.

PS My huge hemangioma is a birthmark. The others on my skin are small. I also have subcutaneous & visceral hemangiomas. Those were incidental findings on MRIs.

Edited by kudzu

felix had the same thing. a couple of years ago it looked like a weird blood blister,i aspirated& cleaned it, it scabbed, filled w/ blood, repeated all and it finally healed normally. now he has another small one, i noticed side the weather warmed up a tad and i'm always checking for tics. i unfortunately pick, antibiotic ointment, and it eventually goes away. if it grows, changes in color or texture then have your vet look at it the next time you go in.

I don't like the look of that-I would have it aspirated. Doesn't look like a hemangioma to me.

What else could it be?

NM, I just googled hemangioma and got the scary options as well. From the few photos I could find, it does look very much like what I'm finding for hemangiomas. Actually, I found this old thread on GT and the photos from Kingsmom's post look exactly like Violet's:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/229098-blood-blister-or-something-more/

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Doesn't look the same to me-of course I can only judge by the one photo you posted. Most hemangioma's are smooth-this looks not as uniform.

It's really hard to get a good photo by myself, but here's another attempt:

0120172340_zpsmo81yfok.jpg

It's in its 3rd iteration now. The first 2 times it looked exactly like a bloated tick, smooth oval, like the photos in the other thread. It doesn't look as even now though it looks worse when I'm pulling fur away to take the photo.

To biopsy are they just going to take a little sample of the bloody fluid? Or do they need to remove it? I have no problem running her in and sending something off for pathology, but I'm having a hard time imagining how they'll do it since I suspect it will burst the moment a needle touches it. Anesthesia is a problem with her.

Edited by NeylasMom

Still not convinced it's a hemangioma. What they can do is remove it with a punch biopsy after a local block. Aspirate most likely would only get blood.

The only way to determine a hemangioma vs dermal hemangiosarcoma is through pathology.

Edited by tbhounds

You probably wouldn't have to deal with anesthesia for that. Just a local. Mickey had a bigger one for years, and I kept opening it because I thought I was an engorged tick. His was quite a bit larger. I finally had it removed when he was under for a dental. Have your vet look at it before you panic! You don't need anything else to worry about.

Thanks. I'll take her in when I can fit it in. Schedule is pretty rough right now between her PT appts and all of the crap wrong with my failing body. :lol But it's good to know they should be able to get what they need with a local at most.

• 1 month later...

Quick update - a little while after I had posted the blood blistery part of it had gone away, leaving just a red area that would have looked almost like a tiny little birthmark if you didn't know what had been there. She had something similar on her ear as well that may have truly just been a scab, but acted like the thing on her chest for a bit, but that I can no longer find any sign of.

We were at the vet for other things finally this Tuesday so I had the vet look at it. She was on the fence about waiting a little longer to see if it went away completely but I had her do a punch biopsy since we were there. We should have results on Monday. :goodluck

As an aside, Violet laid on a bed with her head in my lap eating cheese through the entire thing - lidocaine injections, biopsy, sutures - and never flinched. So very proud of my girl! :heart And my vet for working with us to do it in a way that didn't create any stress.