Corns

Both of my hounds have corns. I get them hulled about every 2 weeks. I have bought this cream from a pharmacy up north and am wondering if anyone else has ever used it. I have only been putting it on their corns for about 10 days now, but see no improvement. Thanks

It would probably help to know what the cream is.

My vet had me try a 60% salicylic acid cream on Olivia's corn probably 7-8 months ago. Cover it with duck tape, then put a sock on her foot, leave it on overnight, remove it in the morning.

He had removed the corn, then it came back, it fell out on its own, then it came back again. At that point he suggested we try the salicylic acid experiment (he'd successfully removed a human wart with it in that strength and thought it might be worth trying on a dog corn.) It worked great. It softened up the skin around the corn and made it more comfortable for her to walk the next day. At her next appt. (2 weeks) he scraped off the dried up skin and the corn came with it. Hasn't come back yet - on that toe. Now, a new one has started growing on her opposite foot but ironically on the same spot on the corresponding toe. Go figure! Just finished putting on the first application of the cream 15 minutes ago. I'm curious to see if it works just as well again.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

It if from the Murray Avenue Apothecary in Pittsburgh, Pa There are two bottles. The first one you apply is Hyaluronic Acid and the second one is just called Corn/Callus cream (a Murray Ave. Apothecary proprietary formula) The paperwork that came with the creams says it can work from 3 days to 5 months. You apply one at a time and leave on 20 minutes each. You do this two times a day so it is time consuming.

Guest DeniseL

Apparently, Murray ave can take a while to work, and then some say it doesn't work at all. I had great luck with Jack's gel, which works faster....but then that is not a sure thing either. Different things work for different hounds. I would suggest you join the Facebook group greyhounds with corns.

Basically, you just have to find what works for you, your hound, and your lifestyle. Sometimes that is simply hulling every 2 weeks. It's important to keep the pad soft using bag balm, pad polish, etc.

Corns are most likely a pressure and friction issue, so finding ways to even out your hounds gait can help, such as chiropractic adjustments or arthritis treatments, that way you are treating the cause of the issue and not the result of it (corns )

Good luck. Corns are frustrating!!

It scares me because my Vet puts them to sleep to hull the corns..so they go through this every 2 weeks.

This would scare me too. My vet has hulled Zeke's corns a couple of times. He was always awake and felt no pain from the hulling. I have been doing the hulling myself at home for the last few years. It doesn't seem to bother him. The tough part is patiently waiting for the corn to rise to the surface enough to hull. I use Protecta-Pad paw pad & elbow cream to soften his pads around the corn. I have also used the Murray's Corn Cream on the really tough ones. They do seem to grow back on him.

This video on You Tube shows you how to hull at home. There are different methods that everyone develops to get the corn removed.

Good luck - corns are very frustrating to deal with sometimes.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Yikes! No need to anesthetize the dog to hull the corn.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

if the murry's treatment doesn't work the Hyaluronic Acid is an excellent serum for your face. YES, i googled it and it's sold on amazon for a fraction of the cost($14.99 by wyatt). it's in the beauty section and is used to retain moisture. read the back of an expensive face serum and it's in it. i use it daily under my face cream.

There is a greyhounds with corns Facebook group with lots of info and photos.

Most people hull themselves, with no need for sedation. There are several video demonstrations. Many people use duct tape over the corn to bring it to the surface. Somebody in the group has had recent luck with large amounts of fish oil. Check out the group...it's pretty active with new posts almost every day. Good luck!

Wow. I would discuss that further with your vet or take the dog somewhere else for corn hulling. Anaesthetizing the dog is incurring considerable risk and is completely unnecessary. The Grassmere article -- which was published in one of the vet magazines several years ago -- specifically notes that sedation is not needed.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

No way a dog should be put under every two weeks. I guess Rex's were slow growing (he had them on all 4 paws).

There is no reason you can't have two vets. I have an older vet nearby that I go to for minor things and the other clinic that I go to for more complicated things as they have lasers, radiographs and an Ohio State graduate.

They all know that I have two vets and one of the owners at the more high tech vet went to Oklahoma State with my nearby vet. They respect each other and I hold both of them in equal esteem.

I say ask around to see if there's a vet that will hull without sedation and use them just for that.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest DeniseL

Wow. I would discuss that further with your vet or take the dog somewhere else for corn hulling. Anaesthetizing the dog is incurring considerable risk and is completely unnecessary. The Grassmere article -- which was published in one of the vet magazines several years ago -- specifically notes that sedation is not needed.

Yes, this.

I went to a different vet for hulling of my Quiet Man's corn. They were very familiar with greyhounds & corns, and he did not need any sedation at all. They were to far to be my regular vet, but worth it for the hulling. I would not put a dog under anesthesia every two weeks!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest MnMDogs

Absolutely agree. If she refuses, I would just dremel at home, and remove the risk of that frequent anesthetization.

The Murray cream never worked for Lexie. My vet said to try abreva. it seemed to slow things down after the corn was hulled. I still can't hull them at home. Lexie's corn is not in the middle of her paw but by an edge and I am afraid I will hurt her. I usually take her every couple of months. I tried the duct tape. It does help bring the corn to the surface but takes a long time.I also have two vets and they have no problem with each other. My regular one and the gray savy one... :lol.

Edited by rschultz

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

We're trying the duct tape on Calvin's 2 corns (both on the same paw). It's been a couple weeks, and one came to the surface. When he wears the Therapaw, it doesn't seem to bother him too much.

That video made me cringe. No way would he hold still for that.

Think I'd like to try the salicylic acid cream.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown