Another Sparks Scare Today-Updated

Wonder

Last week Sparks hurt his back (prob an old injury maybe from racing days). He couldn't walk and because I didn't know what was wrong, I thought I was sending him to the bridge. When they did the back x-ray, they saw a mass :(

My vet was out of town and called me Monday after he looked at the x-ray.

He was 99% sure it was a tumor on his spleen.

I honestly didn't hear anything else after that as all I could remember was Mo's Bailey and the outcome.

I did some research and realized this wasn't good. Also PM'd Mo, Burpdog and Batmom for input.

I kept going back and forth between just doing surgery, getting an ultrasound to see how bad it was or just putting him down (again, still had Bailey on my mind).

Last night, I was pretty sure I was letting him go. He'd had big D for a week and nothing was helping. He also didn't want to eat much at all. I made him a "last supper" which he hardly ate. Then I gave him a bunch of treats which he didn't turn down.

Because of his back, he hasn't been allowed on his beloved couch for the last week. Last night, I let him up on the couch. His huge sigh of happiness made me cry (crap, i'd been crying non-stop since my vet called). I took a ton of pictures and kissed him a million times.

We'd already been sleeping in the living room for the last week so that I could block him off from the other pups. I've been keeping the light on and sleeping with my glasses on so that any move he made, I'd see him right away. I hardly slept last night. I kept thinking that I needed to be touching him and kissing him so that I'd never forget what kissing his nose felt like or how soft his fur is.

7am came way too soon. We had to leave by 8am. I took him on a final walkie. He was so happy to sniff everything and pee on the shrubs. I lifted him into my car and he laid right now. He loves car rides.

Once we got to the vet, I told them that I can't put him through anything else and had decided to let him go. They came back and asked me to reconsider. So I decided to do the ultrasound. I was in the room and watched while rubbing Sparks leg. He was very stressed out. They checked his spleen first and decided that it was super large but looked normal otherwise. All the other organ looked normal. He said that his spleen is pro 4 times the size it should be. My vet doesn't recommend surgery since it's not bothering him. They did take a sample, preliminary results are benign but they sent it to pathology to be 100%. I'll find out tomorrow afternoon.

He's lost 7 lbs in a week and had had big D for almost a week :( Prob from the tramadol and pred. I'm stopping the tram and reducing his pred to wean him off. Added Baytril for 10 days and I'm going to give him pumpkin and yogurt.

He's still on restricted activity which means no walks, no getting on the couch, no stairs (he refuses to use the ramp I put in) and no jumping, running, etc.

I'm thrilled beyond words. I still tear up when I think about it and how I thought he was leaving me today.

I'll post some of those pics later since I'm at work and they block FB angryfire.gif

Please keep Sparks in your thoughts. He's a fighter but still needs prayers.

================================================================

Update Thursday 10/21

Finally a firm poop :yay

I loved calling the vet with that update :lol

He still doesn't want to eat much so starting him on pepcid again

Gave him 2 chicken quarters this morning and he only ate 1

Also gave him wet food with some pumpkin and yogurt- wouldn't eat any

Course he gobbles up the treats when I offer them :)

===================================================================

another update

update

===================================================================

update 10/29

Sparks is doing great!

He will only eat 2 things: ground turkey and Natural Balance meat rolls

So I'm having a sale so I can buy him as much as he wants to eat

Sparks Sale

Thank you for all the support!

I think Sparks is getting sick of me kissing him all the time :)

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I didn't read the fine print in your title and I thought I was accidentally reading a remembrance. I'm so incredibly glad that it wasn't! Yay!

I'd started to mentally plan his remembrance thread, which sucked!

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari I'm so glad that Spark's vet was good. :grouphug Sending lots of prayers. :hope

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Kari I'm so glad that Spark's vet was good. :grouphug Sending lots of prayers. :hope

My vet is the bestest.

He hugged me and told me to not worry- this was before the US. Then after I gave him a HUGE hug and told him I was glad he was wrong. :lol

He told me I need to smile more (he tells me that all the time and to drink more wine :lol). Every time I'm at the vet (which is every few weeks) I'm always crying. Those poor front desk girls eek.gif

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I'm so glad that Sparks is doing well right now :grouphug

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest bigorangedog

Every time I'm at the vet (which is every few weeks) I'm always crying. Those poor front desk girls eek.gif

Honey, I am SO right there with you!!

But I am super super happy that Sparks is okay!! Please keep us updated!

Loads of kisses and scritches to Sparks! Hang in there, honey! Momma's not done lovin' on you yet! Sending prayers and hugs.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead