Old Fella

Guest greytgreymom

Guest greytgreymom

post-3697-1112150215.jpgToday, he was to have his fourth acupuncture and chiropractic treatment. Instead, Old Fella, racing name Waycross Country, was gently helped over the Rainbow Bridge after suffering a stroke.

Earlier today, Old Fella did one of skipping runs around the yard. He seemed to be doing so well. We shared a chunk of swiss cheese for lunch. Around 1:00 p.m., he started going down our deck steps, froze, his eyes grew very wide and he wasn't able to move. I didn't get to him quick enough, and he fell down the stairs. When I helped him up, he was knuckling on all four feet, his limbs were stiff and he couldn't move. He did, however, manage to pee all over my legs and feet. I cared him into the house and laid him on a soft pillow. Just like Goldilocks, he wasn't happy there - woofing to be moved. I moved him to another soft pillow. Again he woofed, until I carried him to the den to be with me. When Dr. Williams came to do his treatment, she examined him and determined that he had a stroke. He was not able to stand up on his own. It was time. The sparkle had left his eyes.

Scott came home, and we buried Old Fella under the tree in our front yard - a special place for a special boy.

Old Fella hadn't had enough time to live since coming to us in September 2003. He was truly a Greyhound for the people. He touched so many people. He loved everyone and never complained about anything. He made us laugh, and he made us cry - sometimes at the same time.

We knew this day would come. We just didn't expect it this soon. Tonight, please light a candle and say a prayer to help Old Fella find his way to the others who have gone before.

Cheryl

Waycross Country fondly known as Old Fella

02/02/90 - 03/29/05

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry to hear he couldn't stay longer.

We'll be watching the stars for his to appear.

Godspeed, Old Fella.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry. Many tears flowing here as I learn of Old Fella's passing to the bridge. I am so sorry for your loss. I truly thought Old Fella would have many more years with us.

Jennifer

Cleo (Golddust Cadilac 83484 Blazing Desire X Greys Blu Fox)

Cole (Hallo Jeremy 88778 My Rooster X Bahama Tango)

Athena (R and a Peach 93839 Coldwater Guv X R and a Lady)

user posted image

Oh no! I am so sorry to read of Old Fella's passing. He was loved by all of us :grouphug:f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Cheryl, I'm so sorry. Old Fella was such a wonderful old man. His loss will be felt by many. I'm so glad you were there for him and that the past months were mostly good ones for Old Fella. Your being with him at the end must have been such a comfort for him.

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. :f_red

God speed Old Fella run with the angels. :gh_run

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest PhillyPups

Cheryl I am here with my tears joining yours. What an incredible life you gave him in his brief time with you. Race in the Wind Old Fella, your body may not be here but your spirit will be with us forever.

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys

Im so glad you gave him a wonderful home. I enjoyed reading about him. Tears are flowing here. Run free Old Fella We all love you. :f_red:grouphug

Edited by 8 greyt greys

Guest Mommydog

Tears here too, I'm so very sorry, Old Fella's story really touched my heart and I'm sure the hearts of many other people too. The love and dedication you gave to him was wonderful. :grouphug:f_white

Run, run like the wind Old Fella, it's your time to be young and strong once more and to play with your friends at the bridge :gh_run

I am so sorry to read this. My heart sank as soon as I saw the topic title. :weep

I will miss hearing about his antics.

Farewell, Old Fella! I will miss you!

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest how888

My heartfelt sympathy.I was stunned to say the least. Send your mommy a sign sweet angel.'Somewhere Over The Rainbow' we will all be waiting for our one last big meet n greet!!Find Howie,he will love you. :gh_run:gh_run:f_red:f_red

To Old Fella-a dog who was beloved by everyone. He was always in our thoughts from the first day we read his story. We could see his physical appearance and stature improve. We read everytime there was a posting about his recovery to his warmth and responding love.

Thank you Cheryl for giving him all he needed in his later years. He was well loved by you, your family and the greyhound world.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest KennelMom

The tears welled as soon as I read the title :cry1 :cry1 Old Fella, you will be terribly missed , as you were loved by so many of us. A true inspiration.

Run Free at the Bridge, sweet boy :gh_run2 I'm so glad you found the endless amount of love and comfort that you deserved in your forever home. I only wish you could have had more time with them.

Cheryl, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers :bighug

Edited by lovemygreys6

OMG!! Dear sweet Old Fella. May your soul rest in peace, thank you for bringing such joy to the greytalk community. I will never forget you, never!!!!! I am sending gentle hugs and many prayers to your family, they must be devisated. I am just heart broke to read of your passing.

God Bless your wonderful loving and caring family for opening up their hearts and home to help such a wonderful old man. I must go now to wipe the tears away..............so very sorry..... :(

:f_pink:f_white:angel:angelwings:gh_run:angel:angelwings

Praying for all the missing greys!

Guest BrockGusDad

Oh, Cheryl, this is not what we wanted to hear. My heart goes out to you and yours.

Godspeed Old Fella..... You will not be forgotten.

Guest TilliesMom

Dear Cheryl....

Old Fella was one lucky boy to receive your love. He will remain in your hearts forever. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts as I light my candle in honor of your special boy.

Sending hugs...