Cody

kjw

I have to once again thank GTers for all their support during this horrible time. I have left a final update (in Health and Medical pg. 10, "I'm in Shock")regarding Cody's death. You viewed this thread 3217 times, and there were 193 responses. We are overwhelmed with the love and support provided.

Cody came to us with his half brother Bailey from Bill and Fred at the GRA Canada facility on January 1, 2004. I had not intended adopting 2 greyhounds, I had not even intended getting males, as I thought a small female would be easier for us to cope with. These two boys became available for adoption thru no fault of their own the day we came out. The picked us, in no uncertain terms, and I had to return home and make arrangements for the addition of one more.

Cody did not have to make a huge adjustment to us; he had a big personality and even bigger presence, unlike his brother who was in a bit of shock, and much more reserved. He immediately became my velcro boy,following me everywhere, nuzzling my hand, and letting me know when it was time for more attention.

He was playful, even bowing to the cats, once everyone started getting along. His favorite thing was smoked bones, followed closely by marrow bones stuffed with peanut butter and treats. He would play with squeakies, but only because Bailey was.

Cody had a truly noble bearing, which belied his goofy ways. He loved to jump up when he was excited, and was extremely proud of his new jacket and collar. He only got to wear it twice.

Here is the last picture I took of him. He is in his lovely new outfit, made by Fit for a Knight. Thanks Cheryl, for the great job you did.

a9b7031ab9b833c3c9de64fbe0c6212a.JPG

One other thing Cody loved to do was eat pupsicles. I found out about this predilection at Obedience class, at PetSmart, when he decided that chocolate labs were just yummy treats for him. I have a picture of him at graduation day, in the hat, he looks so silly. He gave greyhounds a good name with his marks, if not his eating habits.

Here is Cody showing off his "sit"

679b0d4823e5dfb39122debb2e3535dc.jpg

I feel badly for Cody because he raced his heart out for years, having run 125 races, and yet his retirement was so short. He should have had another 6,7 or 8 years with us at least, as he was not yet 6 when he left us for the bridge. However, what was lacking in quantity was made up for in quality. He got as much love as we could give him in that short time, and I know that he was aware of how much we loved him. Bailey also loved him very much, and they often played together. Their favorite thing to do was make a mess.

0697099ecdc890d38223796551e2daae.JPG

In the end, I suppose I should not be so selfish in missing him so much. He had a rapid death, and did not seem to be very aware of what was going on. I can only hope he did not suffer too much, and be grateful that I was there at the end. He died doing what he loved, playing in the backyard with his brother.

My heart is sore. I will never forget him.

be594f0bf348f77b2185985b54d0415f.jpg

Edited by kjw

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:f_white What a nice dedicatory for a greyt friend! I feel so sorry, but

I know that Cody lived the happiest time of retirement with you.

Run free, sweet Cody! :f_red

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest Greymom

What a beautiful and touching tribute to him. He was truly loved.

As I sit here with tears in my eyes, I again offer my sympathy and prayers.

:f_white

What a touching and beautiful tribute to Cody. I'm sure he knew how much you loved him. Our grey angels are put in our lives for a reason even though we may not know what that is and even if it's for a shor time there is a reason!! I honeslty believe that!! Time will help heal you broken heart, but know that Cody is watching over you and your family now and one day you will all meet again. Rest in peace sweet Cody and say hi to all our bridgekids for us, untill we all meet again..........

Hugs!

Praying for all the missing greys!

Tears in my eyes, too :cry1

However long you have these guys, it's never long enough. We only had Suze for five months but the grief is still there.

Cody was very much loved in his short retirement, and you were caring enough to take his half brother too - so he had fun and companionship from another grey as well as from his human family.

Don't let anyone dare to tell you 'it was only a dog'. These hounds have large and beautiful spirits.

:bighug

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest argolola

I'm crying with you as I read your tribute.

But I smiled, too, because Cody knew unconditional love and had a wonderful home with you. Many greys will never experience this.

Cody was truly blessed to have been adopted by you and your family. We won't say goodbye, but "see ya later." I believe we will.

Godspeed, handsome boy.

Guest 2dogz

I am heartbroken for you, and send you my very

deepest sympathy. You were blessed to have

had him in your life, if even for such a short time,

and he was blessed to have had such a loving home.

Guest how888

I am sobbing with you. What a beautiful tribute to such a beautiful grey. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I lit a candle for Howie today, I can't stand it without him. At least I know he has the best up there with him and someday over that big beautiful rainbow we will all meet again. Howie got sick and 4 days later he was gone. Maybe we were fortunate they didn't have to suffer so long.You will see him again one day, I just know it. :f_pink:f_pink:f_pink:f_pink

Those are some wonderful words. He was a lucky boy to have such a loving home.

:cry1:bighug

Guest kristijewell

I cried so hard reading your other post in Medical that I had to get up and leave the computer. I came back and read your beautiful tribute to wonderful Cody, and I feel better for you and for him, seeing the happy memories you have of his wonderful life with you.

My deepest sympathies to you, Bailey, and the rest of your family. :f_white

Guest Snowy8

I am so sorry for your loved one, he's there now playing with Sadie-Grey, Bool, Brogan, Racer, Chat & Connie along with all the other grey-puppers we've all let go. I don't say lost because we all know where they are. f_yellow:gh_lay

I am so sorry. Run free sweet angel boy...run with the wind and send love to your family from the Bridge until you meet again. You are missed and SO loved. :f_red:f_whitef_yellow

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.