Susan

silverfish

It's taken me a long time to get around to posting a memorial to Suze in this forum - I just found the thought of it too painful for a long time. I was able to post about her in other threads, but it seemed too hard to write about her here. I don't know why.

Anyhow, I found myself thinking about her a lot over Christmas, and a couple of postings have reminded me of her in the last few days.

Susan was a beautiful dog, though I didn't think so at first. I never felt particularly drawn to white dogs - but having first Jim (mostly white) and then Susan (only a few little black bits), I find them irresistible now. She was an ex-brood bitch, around ten years old. We thought she WAS ten when we took her on, but the age we were given was wrong. She was with us five months, and just made it to her tenth birthday - though I only found that out after she was gone.

She was a very confident, outgoing dog, and once she got over the shock of finding herself in a home, very happy. She loved her belly rubs, and loved her walks, even though we couldn't let her off lead because of her high prey drive. She loved her food, she loved her toys, she loved the futon and I think she loved us.

We found out pretty soon that she was a sick dog. When we took her in for her spay, they told us that the PABT showed kidney failure. Even so, we thought we'd have her for a while, and manage her condition by diet etc. Sadly, what she had was kidney cancer, and her true condition remained undiagnosed until the day she died. I am not quite ready to forgive my vet or myself for the delay in her diagnosis, though I do know the outcome would have been the same, because her 'healthy' kidney was already starting to show age related failure. We discovered her cancer when I insisted on a referral to the vet school because her breathing had got so bad and she seemed unwell in a way which I couldn't associate with kidney disease. Sure enough, her cancer had spread to her lungs and she had the clotting disorder DIC.

We had left her at the vet school for tests, but when they rang to tell us the bad news, we got straight back into the car and drove down to be with her while she was sent on her way. The vet was so kind, he was due to go out with his family that evening, but stayed over an hour late so we could meet him and Suze didn't have to wait overnight in the hospital for her final journey. They also arranged for a private cremation for us.

I feel bad for Susan that she never spent Christmas with us. We had arranged a holiday in Florida and the dogs went into kennels for three weeks. I so wish we hadn't gone, and we had spent the holiday at home with the dogs. This is the first Christmas since Susan died and I've been thinking and wondering what she would have made of it.

Rest in peace, Susan - I'll never forget you.

I'll find a picture to add later. Thanks for letting me run on.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest GreysInSC

I'm so sorry :bighug I can only imagine what you are feeling. At least you had the time you did have with her and we all know she DID love you. :(

Thank you for sharing Susan's story. I knew I'd cry... :cry1 Her time was so short with you, but I know that everyday was precious to her, being in a loving home where she was cherished and cared for with such kindness. Forgive yourself for taking that vacation, eh? I'm sure Susan doesn't hold a grudge! She's whole and at peace, forever in your hearts. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest lisa73

You were truly loved Susan and will never be forgotten! Run free little :angel no leash now! Go chase them bunnies

:hugs Judy I can only imagine how hard that was

Judy, I understand you so very well...time passes, but we never forget them.

:f_white

:gh_run2:gh_run2

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Got me crying, too. silverfish, I can't imagine a better home for a dog than yours. Christmas? She had all those many days with you -- love and toys and pets and good food and nice beds and Jim to boss around. She was surely blessed, as were you to have known her.

Sleep well, Susan.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest PrestosJeff

Susan looks very prescious. Thank you for telling her story and posting the picture of her. She was lucky to have found a home with you, even though it was just for a short time. I'm very sorry for your loss.

:f_pink

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Susan was a beautiful girl and she knows she was loved. Her passing was not in vain, because it enabled you to offer such good advice and kind words of support to other Grey owners, such as myself, who are having kidney disease issues with their own puppers.

What a beautiful tribute to Susan! I know she loves what you wrote about her. She is such a beautiful girl...and she DID celebrate Christmas with you...she was right there in your hearts. :f_pinkf_yellow:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest FullMetalFrank

That was a very lovely tribute to your beautiful girl. I am sure she knows how much she was loved, and that you'll never forget her.

Guest SylphPup

Thank you for sharing Susan's story. You have mentioned her in many posts and it is clear that she was dearly loved. The pictures you posted are beautiful.

Every day in your home was Christmas for her. Every day you were both blessed.

Can't say it better than that.

Susan went to the Bridge the day after my Del so when I think of Dels passing, I always think of Susan too. I'm sure they're together up there and watching us and the other dogs they brought out way :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!