• worms
    • tick disease and fleas
    • tick disease and worms
    • fleas and worms
    • all of the above
    • none of the above
    • some of my Greys came parasite-free; others had one or more

Guest greybeliever

My first grey, Douglas, came to me with tape worm. I would not have known this if I hadn't seen a live segment while cleaning up his stool. I had some experience with these little parasites about 20 years ago with a Yorkie puppy. They are much easier to get rid of now than they were back then. I would give her (Yorkie) the wormer & the next morning it would come out in her stool (really gross when it is all together). Two months later I would find out that we did not kill it (grew back) & would give another round of meds. After several of these episodes, the vet gave me something stronger (almost vomited it up) that finally did the trick.

Skye, my second grey, had no parasites at all. Special needs dog, yes, but no little nasties. Actually, I prefer to think of her as "needy".

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FatCatSkinnyDog

We thought he was clean but the first round of Interceptor produced round worms in his stool. That seems to have done it though because last month everything came out clean!

Guest NewFurMom

Cabana had tapeworms in her poop a couple of days after she came to me. I figured she got them while staying at the foster's house because dogs get them from ingesting a flea that contains the worm. My house is flea-free so I just figured she got it from the foster's house, plus they had a big back yard, the only way Cabana was outside at my house (before I built a privacy fence) was on a leash. Regardless of how she got them, a couple of pills and it went away and she's never had another reoccurence with any type of worm. Thank goodness. :P

Guest ProudGreyMom

Adoption group gets them all cleaned up and vet checked prior to adoption. Only thing Andy had is a horrible ear infection - both yeast and bacteria. Its still a problem 2 years later. Vet figures he had it bad at the track and it was never cared for. I have to be vigilant with his ear care now.

Harley ran for one of the best trainers in the business and had RMSF

Bucky had already been treated for Babesia for by RTW

Rex was a stray and had Babesia

Bella was a stray in OK and had 200+ ticks and a raging case of Ehrlichia

Maggie was also an OK stray and she hit a grand Slam -- all 4 TBDs

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My Finn came from GAS... totally parasite free.

Wink came off the hauler straight from the track. She was in beautiful shape, clean, and no ticks or fleas. She did have worms which were treated with panacure and Droncit and cleared up immediately.

CollageSnap

<p>Finn, Wink, Birdie, Snap and SmokeyJG Quicknfast 7/25/99-5/16/08, JG Quickwink 7/25/99-9/22/13, Iruska SweetDuv 7/19/03-11/9/16, Delbar 6/11/11 and Catahoula Smokey

Guest ChasesMum

Chase had hookworms which wasnt caught for a few months when we had her tested during some diarrhea (took a couple treatments to get rid of them) George was worm free (had both dogs tested at the appt for shots)

Hookworm here. :puke

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Buddy had Erlichia and a nasty systemic E.Coli infection (Alabama Rot), but no ticks or fleas on him.

Brody had coccida and was swimming in fleas.

Benny had a fungal skin infection, but nothing else.

Sirocco had hookworms. I don't blame the adoption group but I do blame the vet that did his initial care. This vet (who is no longer used by the group) checked Sirocco for diabetes but not heartworm. :eek Sirocco was at least 10 pounds under his racing weight but never checked for parasites. :dunno This vet also did not update Sirocco's vaccines. :POed He did present the group with a sizable bill for Sirocco's care.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest klovesgreys

I have had 6 greyhounds and so far all of the hounds I have had contracted Hook worms. I am not sure if maybe that mean the cages they were kept in were poorly cleaned or what or maybe they just ate a lot of grass. LOL.!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DoofBert

One of the boyz had roundworm in his initial fecal withour vet. (Had been de wormed by group before placement with us). So, vet followed up with additional dose...nothing since!

Guest cnewsome

All three hounds I adopted within the last 10 years from different tracks had worms. :angry:

One dose of meds and thank goodness those nasty things were gone forever! :)

both of mine were treated for any parasites by the adoption group before they came to me.

edited to add - just noticed this poll was started in 2003!!

Edited by mom2two

Guest luvmygreys

They all had ticks, and some had fleas coming off the track.

Thankfully only one has tested positive for tick disease- Babesia. It ws only 1:80. She eventually came down with Lyme dz also, but has been treated.

Robin,

Josie, Jack, Sara, Jasmine, Terri, & Cozy at the bridge

Vikki, Tina, Maddie & Aggie on the couches!