• worms
    • tick disease and fleas
    • tick disease and worms
    • fleas and worms
    • all of the above
    • none of the above
    • some of my Greys came parasite-free; others had one or more

Guest sidewaysfallin

My gosh. I am shocked that so many came in with them! I guess I was just in my own happy world thinking they all came off the track as healthy as Sophie did. Are they not checked regularly for these?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Mine came with no parasites! I guess we are very fortunate, and adopted from a great group that will not let the dogs be adopted with any parasites. :colgate Sorry you all are having problems with them.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greyhounds4life

Mine came with nothing. I always thought rescue centres completely health checked all their dogs before rehoming, I know the Retired Greyhound Trust does.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Izzy was treated for worms and Erlichia by the g-hound rescue but the vet found round worms, and suspected Giardia. And I'm counting the tick disease because she was still on meds when I got her and from what I've read I still need to keep an eye on her because it could come back so I guess she still "has" it. Izzy was picked up as a stray but has tatoos so she was in a racing kennel at some time in her life. I'm just so glad that the rescue tests for tick born diseases and starts treatment in any that need it. Hopefully that will have nipped the problem in the bud for us

Guest LindsaySF

Teagan had fleas and tapeworms when the adoption group took him in.

I just wanted to correct something here:

For example, hookworm and whipworm eggs can penetrate the pads of any greyhound who steps in infested stool, or who steps on ground where there are hookworm or whipworm eggs. It is virtually impossible to break the lifecycle of these parasites in any situation where canines are kept in great numbers and share a common ground----such as common turnout areas and/or a racetrack grounds where cooling out is done.

Whipworm eggs can not penetrate the feet. Whipworm eggs must be swallowed in order for a dog to become infected. The eggs are pretty resilient, they can survive in the soil for a long time, but it takes 2 to 4 weeks for them to become infective to another dog. So it is the contaminated soil that is the source of infection, and not fresh feces.

Hookworm eggs can't do anything, but the stage 3 larvae can. The larvae can penetrate the skin or be eaten, but it takes a few days (depending on temperature) for the larvae to mature from the feeding stage to the infective stage. If you clean the feces up promptly, you shouldn't get any infective larvae in the soil.

Before getting all head-up about intestinal parasites----which all have a LIFE CYCLE....it is a good idea to familiarize oneself with the various parasite's life cycles, so that you might understand just how difficult----sometimes impossible, in certain climates----it is for the trainer, no matter how astute he of she is----to BREAK that parasite's life cycle....which is the only sure way to completely eliminate the parasite. ...........

Tapeworms require an intermediate host for an infestation to occur, and viscera (meat) is a prime intermediate host of tapeworm eggs.

Fleas are another carrier of the tapeworm parasite, and if a greyhound ingests a flea, most likeky he is ingesting tapeworm eggs as well.

While I agree that learning parasite life cycles is important, I do not agree that it is sometimes "impossible" for trainers or kennel workers to break these life cycles. It just takes a little extra effort and/or money.

If tapeworms are a problem, eliminate the intermediate host from the premises, whether it be fleas (flea tapeworm) or rodents and rabbits (Taeniid tapeworms).

If it is hookworms, do not allow feces to remain in soil (or in area frequented by dogs) long enough for the infective larvae to develop. Same with whipworms. If the soil is already contaminated, put the dogs on monthly Interceptor to kill any hookworm larvae that do manage to penetrate the pads of their feet, and to kill any larvae that hatch from whipworm eggs that are ingested. This will break the life cycle.

~Lindsay~

• 1 month later...
Guest CJsRunningKnot

My Ash came turn key, sqweky clean she was in a foster home for 3 weeks and the lady of the house had her all groomed and looking wonderful a lot of dandruff but not a hair out of place . They did give her a dose of worm meds the day we took her and told me not to freak out if I saw anything (I have kids and 2 cats you couldn't pull anything out of a butt that could freak me out at this point) I am not sure if they worm all the new dogs they get as a precaution or if they new she had them, anyway even her ears were spotless it was like they must have had her detailed ( like a car ) . But being a new dog mom I did bring her to the vet 2-or 3 times for fathom appointments the piece of mind was worth every penny and I dont think the vet minds my extra money coming in. I guess we were really fortunate.

Guest paulamariez

Chief, Bandit and Tiger came disease and pest free, but Bueller and Domino (last 2 we adopted) were loaded with hookworms. Especially Bueller, he had them really bad. These last two were adopted from Geneva Lakes when they were closing down. We also adopted Bandit and Tiger from there prior to the closing and they were well taken care of and in wonderful condition. Bueller and Domino were in terrible shape in comparison to the others we adopted. We think they were really skimping on the health care towards the end there. These last two were dirty, but they claimed they were bathed right before we picked them up, their teeth were filthy, yet they claimed they just had dentals done and they said they were disease free and they came with a complimentary load of hookworms, which they generously shared with our other two dogs! I think things were really falling apart there towards the end. Poor babies. Glad I took two home and saved them!

Guest lgwhitepac

Lets see...

Tiel had fleas, hookworms, whipworms, tapeworms, roundworms, and capillaria. She was so anemic from the hooks that we had to wait two months to get her spayed! Apparently they had a particularly drug-resistant strain at the track she came from. You could never tell to look at her today :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mac and bridge girl Charm were had been in foster for a while and were in perfect shape when I got them retired broodie Dessi had a short stay in foster and had tape worms :puke when she came...

Dogs and small children are the only people I really get along with....MacDaddy

• 4 months later...
Guest JustLiverTreats

when i first went to the kennel (supposedly just looking) and ended up picking my grey, i noticed a ton of fleas on his kennel-rubbed backside....it was 2 weeks before i was to pick him up and i was having a fit....i went to the vet and got everybody here 2 months of flea meds, including for the grey....when i picked him up i took him straight for a flea bath - they wouldn't do it....first time i got a solid poop i took it for sampling....(i had been told by another adopter that i could expect there to be worms as well)...he was FULL of several varieties....all of which cleared up with the meds....

in hindsight, i should have requested that the vet who did the neuter and once over before he came give him meds for worms and get that started right away....but alas hindsight is always 20-20 yes?

• 1 month later...
Guest RooCroo

Bloo was rescued in utero from the pound. His mother had heartworm and hookworm. The hookworms, apparently, were passed on to her babies. Bloo and one of his siblings nearly died from hookworm, but were both successfully treated with no recurrences. Bloo also had roundworms, but these were treated with t pyrantel pamoate and never returned.

• 2 months later...
Guest sirsmom

Our new lurcher (grey mix) came with: tapeworms, roundworms, whipworms and hookworms. The vet said that was some party going on inside her!

• 1 month later...
Guest fatesrelease

Sarah was adopted de wormed but at her first vet appointment we found out that she had worms. Hopefully they are all gone now as we are going back to the vet to check if they've left!

Guest eaglflyt

Ady Bea came to us in wonderful condition. No parasites or tick borne diseases when we got her. She had already had a full veterinary exam and complete care weeks/months before we got her. On her initial check with our vet, she passed with flying colors.