• fleas
    • worms
    • tick disease and fleas
    • tick disease and worms
    • fleas and worms
    • all of the above
    • none of the above
    • some of my Greys came parasite-free; others had one or more

Icarus came with Rounds, Hooks and Tapes.

Atlas with Tapes and Rounds.

Echo was parasite free :D

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest longdogs

'Parasite free' is probably optimistic as some worms are very widespread. Mine were all recently wormed and flea/tick treated so had no obvious problems with these. One had a nasty ear mite infection.

• 2 months later...

Just found out today that Grace has hookworms. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that we can get rid of them quickly....

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Out of all our dogs, only Eva our foster had a flea infestaion and tapeworms.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Kipsmom

You didn't have my option. Kip came with 100's and 100's of ticks (NOT exaggerating at all...) but no tick disease. We had him tested about a month after I had him just to make sure. He didn't have many fleas at all but a whole lot of ticks. No stomach parasites. :)

Blue came to me free of everything, no fleas, ticks, worms or anything. :)

Blue and millie came clean, blue had been fostered for a couple of months, and having been picked up as a stray puppie may have had critters, but they were all gone when i got him at 10 mo. old.

millie came straight from the local track's kennel, she'd been given all her shots, wormed, frontlined and spayed. (didn't cost me a dime either - she'd been prepped for a couple who wanted a pair of greys, they decided to only get one after they'd already prepped (& paid). the couple decided to give back the male a few months later cause he didn't fit their color scheme or some other lifestyle mis-match, i woulda took him too but someone snatched him up real quick & three would be a bit much for me right now.)

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest howlies_mom

Our Howlie came from the race track, but she was a bounded grey and they had just gotten her back that evening. According to them, she had been in a home with 3 other dogs (not Greys) and had been allowed to "run the roads" so they really didn't know what she had been exposed to. She saw the vet at the track and I took her to mine as well, both gave us the :thumbs-up - I was just curious - is there a listing of these different types of parasites (internal) and what the symptoms are? I don't think we have anything to worry a/b, it's just good to be informed.

Thanks,

Guest greytloves

12 years ago, my Susie came with all of the worms you could imagine. Since then, (I believe due to greyter diligence by the majority of groups) all of my greys have been parasite free. I do think most adoption groups are doing a fantastic job.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Wpgkeith

As per my question on Friday, Riley arrived with Capillaria aerophila, (Eucoleus aerophila), which is a type of lung parasite that can be passed around in the stool.

Once discovered, I hope that the treatment will be the end of his torubles.

Keith

Interceptor doesn't kill tapeworm. You need to kill the fleas that carry the worm larvae AND give Drontal +, 2 doses, 2-3 weeks apart. I'm no expert - I'm just going through the motions with my new foster...

• 2 weeks later...

One came healthy and clean and the other came with fleas and worms. Our group was great though and already had him on worm meds and had tried to clean all the fleas off but we still caught a few.

• 5 months later...
Guest LuckyGrey

Poor Princess had worms which was easily medicated. On top of that she had ear infections and would run with her head cocked to the side and bang into things. After months of fighting these infections, an ear culture was sent to find out she also had yeast infections in her ears. Now it is all cleared up and she no longer runs with her head crooked or into walls.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilly came to us clean as a whistle, though pretty bald and scrawny.

Wabi, though she had been fostered for quite awhile, finally demonstrated that she was full of roundworms a little while after we got her (ew!!).

Pogo was a filth bomb, but I don't think (can't remember! :P) he had worms.

To be fair to the people who had them before we did, they've all gotten parasites since they've been here! Despite fastidious yard clean-up, I might add. Sigh! Giardia is endemic here, and they picked up hooks somewhere (maybe a dog park? maybe from adoption group dogs moving through?) We're no strangers to Panacure here. :(

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest JJStingersMom

none of the above. I adopted him from LGAP . Where they make sure the dog is all set for adoption. Foor 1 year. they even clean his teeth.

Guest Amber

Both mine came from someone's else's home, not direct from kennels and were bug-free.

Fosters have come via rescue kennels and have already been treated for parasites, except one I got direct from an Irish farm and I Frontlined and wormed her straightaway and never saw any evidence of worms/fleas after that. Most of the ones that the rescue take direct from trainers have heavy flea infestations and some have worms.

Guest sorenkkg

Haka came in clean, but picked up a dead mouse in his mouth about 6 months in, and got hookworm from that (we think)... got rid of it on the first try though.

Aleeya came in with clean poop-- I ordered the test even before we got her, and we tested her first poop at home.. but then we saw tapeworm. Her test came back clean, and they said tapeworm often doesn't show up in it.

So they gave her a big (painful!) needle of something or other, and she howled for the longest 60 seconds of our lives... and then she was fine :)

I'm a total freak now on walks, I move all dead creatures (my hand in a baggie) and I don't let them sniff anything questionable...

Guest greylovinpair

Our first was parasite-free, but she was a bounce. Our second came with lovely worms!!

All of the hauls I've helped with have yielded dogs with fleas, ticks, and more!

Grace had hookworms and Giardia and went through two rounds of Panacure. She ended up down in Mexico just before I got her so I had expected even more. She is just beginning to trust yogurt again ... I used it to mix the Panacure into her food ... so I hope I don't have to do it again soon.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

• 8 months later...
Guest KaylyRed

Quin had been in foster care for quite a while when we adopted him (recovering from a ruptured plantar ligament), so he was parasite free. Ella, on the other hand, had only been at the GPA-Wisconsin kennel a short time. Although she was wormed before we took her home, she had some stubborn hook worms that we had to deal with. All in all, it was no big deal and she was healthy and bug-free in no time.