• worms
    • tick disease and fleas
    • tick disease and worms
    • fleas and worms
    • all of the above
    • none of the above
    • some of my Greys came parasite-free; others had one or more

Guest casey2995

Tucker came to us with giardia and Callie had hookworms. Bella was diagnosed with campylobacter bacteria. We were very worried with her weight loss despite a good appetite in her first week or so home. She continued to have diahhrea despite a bland diet and additions of Pepto Bismal and metronidazole. Further lab work revealed the bacteria.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11

All but one of mine were had positive Babesia titers, but low ratios. I had PCRs for Babesia done of all of them, and they were negative :-)

Guest ThunderPaws

Most of my fosters off the track or farm have some type of worms, usually hooks, some tapes. A few test positive for Ehrlichia, even heartworms (dogs came from the same farm), the last foster got very sick from Babesia. A few fosters are critter-free.

My own racers that I took home when they retired (one came straight off a Texas farm, the other one was raised on a Texas farm and raced at two different tracks) had no nasty critters at all and were in great condition! Makes me feel confident about the industry folks I am working with! :colgate

Guest sja5032

I'm surprised at all the responses with parasites, ticks, fleas, etc I mean wouldn't the dog run better without extra passengers? I am a trainer myself and I go to all extent to keep my dogs "jockey" free (i.e. regular worming schedule constant checking for fleas & ticks as well as preventative). I have had dogs who left that we found out had a tick disease but there is only so much you can do about that, if a tick is going to bite its going to bite. I think I've picked off all of 2 ticks in the past 6 months and 0 fleas (knock on wood it stays that way). I'm sorry to all you owners who have had to deal with these issues that were unnecessary it gives a bad name to greyhound trainers :(

Guest arlosmom

Feather, Arlo and Jewel came with various round worms that were quite hard to clear up. King seems to be parasite free although it took a while to get over diarrhea.

Guest luvdogs

I just wanted to add that both of mine came with Babesia. At first we thought it was just the one - they came from two different rescues. The first rescue ran some tests, but I guess the tests weren't as broad as the 2nd rescue did. The 2nd rescue offered to test our girl using the same test they did for the boy and low and behold she has it too...we never would have known if they didn't offer to run the test for us.

• 4 weeks later...

All three of the Greyhounds came to me with hookworms, and one came with a tapeworm too.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

• 1 year later...
Guest CampWhippet

First one right off the track came with hooks and tape. The second also straight off the track was wormed for these the moment she walked in the door so I don't know if she did or not. the third from the farm was wormed prior to arrival to me.

Guest Nebride

Damien had flees, ticks, hook worm, and tape worm when he was picked up from the kennel. The foster people took care of the flees and the hook worm. But they missed the ticks and the tape worms. I caught those and had him treated for both. I also had him tested for tick diseases and heart worm - thankfully, he had neither and I intend to keep it that way!

Dawn

Damien - I feel so much better now! Those flees were itchy!

Guest Swifthounds

None of the above. Not from the one hound from a foster home, not the several that came from the adoption kennel, not in my former blood donor boy who flew up from FL and not in my girl who came straight from her racing kennel.

Racing kennels worm all the time due to climate and movement of dogs in and out of densly populated tracks. Some groups/kennels that do adoption have their act together regarding parasite control and some do not. Add to that the stress of transitioning out of a racing kennel into adoption or fostering and the accompanying decrease in nutrition and then a transition to a home environment with a different food/ foods and a whole other set of expectations and it's an environmentally induced recipe for immune system compromise and opportunistic parasites.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

My Derby Lane dogs have had no parasites with the exception of the occasional tick during tick season; and no tick disease and nothing severe, just a couple here and there.

JCKC dogs were loaded with worms, ticks, and fleas

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I definitely believe the trainers deworm as much as they can, and I also agree with what Swift says. It's common sense the dogs run better parasite free, but it's no easy task to keep 60 dogs in Florida with 15 surrounding kennels 100% parasite free at all times... those who don't live here may not understand that even single pet dogs often end up with worms, coccidia, or other ickies here. Dogs can come off a hauler with worms "passengers" and temporarily infest some kennel mates, too. When you haul all sorts of dogs from different places, a couple are bound to have something the owner/care taker may not even know about.

• 1 year later...
Guest DeniseL

My baby Thyme came with a clean bill of health....which is not surprising considering she has been perfect in every way imaginable, just a total dream since we brought her home.

Our boy, miami, came home with hook and a bottle of panacur. We gave it to him and are going to drop fecals off at the clinic for both of them just to double check. Oh, and poor Miami has flea bites all over, even though I can't find any fleas. We treated him now, so hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here....