What is the current "gold standard" for heart worm/flea/tick preventative for greyhounds in 2024?

Hi greyhound experts. We had our last hound, Tessie, on Sentinel heart worm preventative for the years she lived with us. We battled nasty, medication-resistant hooks when she first arrived home as she was a Florida dog. Our airedale has also been on this, we haven't used any tick medication at all with her either. 

Little Poppy, our 20 week old lurcher now needs to get on monthly preventatives. I'm debating between Sentinel and adding Bravecto from March-ish through October-ish for ticks (vet recommended) or going with Simpartica, which covers everything. Thoughts on what would be best for her? I'll shoot an email over to the vet about Simpartica asking her opinion on that, but in the meantime wanted to see what the collective greyhound hive was doing these days. We are in the Denver metro area and walk near some wooded trails where ticks can be found, though we haven't had one on our dogs or ourselves, ever. Better save than sorry though. 

(We did have a flea issue from one of our dogs staying with a friend a few years ago, and I don't wish to repeat that nightmare of deep cleaning the house again, ever) 

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

My clinic switched this year from NexGard / NexGard Spectra (depending on season) to Simparica /Simparica Trio. Simparica apparently covers a broader range of ticks than NexGard. I didn't switch Grey Toodles because she was almost 14 3/4, but I've read that others are using Simparica (Trio) with their Greys. Daisy, non-Grey, tolerated her first dose just fine.

• Thanks 1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

We used Bravecto and Sentinel for Sweep, but it was a struggle to get her to eat the Bravecto no matter what we hid it in. The siblings are on Simparica Trio and they eat it like a treat. Easy peasy. No side effects and (hopefully) will keep them hookworm negative.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Simparica Trio here, but for a non-greyhound. I like a pill (as opposed to a topical like Frontline) and one month intervals (I think Bravecto is 3 months, though I may be thinking of another preventative). I have trouble administering the topical, and I'm concerned about how strong the dosage must be to last 3 months. 

BTW, maybe a bit off-topic but do these preventatives actually work at all for ticks? My understanding is they don't actually repel ticks, but will kill them once they bite. Is that correct, and if so do they kill ticks fast enough to prevent TBD transmission?

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

I have both my greyhounds on injectable heartworm preventative ProHeart.  A yearly (or twice yearly shot) that does heartworm and other internal parasites like hooks.  It does NOT handle fleas/ticks but we don't have an issue with either.  If we go on vacation I give them a months worth of Simparica.  

I have used Simparica Trio for them and wouldn't hesitate to use it again if necessary.  The reports of possible issues in dogs with pre-existing nervous system problems (seizures) can be troubling for owners, but I have personally not had any trouble with any version of this drug.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 4/22/2024 at 8:16 AM, rsieg said:

Simparica Trio here, but for a non-greyhound. I like a pill (as opposed to a topical like Frontline) and one month intervals (I think Bravecto is 3 months, though I may be thinking of another preventative). I have trouble administering the topical, and I'm concerned about how strong the dosage must be to last 3 months. 

BTW, maybe a bit off-topic but do these preventatives actually work at all for ticks? My understanding is they don't actually repel ticks, but will kill them once they bite. Is that correct, and if so do they kill ticks fast enough to prevent TBD transmission?

I think that if I remember correctly from what the vet told me, the tick prevention will kill then when they first bite. For them to transmit a TBD, they need to be hanging out for a while. Do not quote me on this, but I believe that’s what they said. 

On 4/22/2024 at 10:53 AM, greysmom said:

I have both my greyhounds on injectable heartworm preventative ProHeart.  A yearly (or twice yearly shot) that does heartworm and other internal parasites like hooks.  It does NOT handle fleas/ticks but we don't have an issue with either.  If we go on vacation I give them a months worth of Simparica.  

I have used Simparica Trio for them and wouldn't hesitate to use it again if necessary.  The reports of possible issues in dogs with pre-existing nervous system problems (seizures) can be troubling for owners, but I have personally not had any trouble with any version of this drug.

I forgot there was a heartworm shot too! 

• Like 1

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

On 4/22/2024 at 10:53 AM, greysmom said:

I forgot there was a heartworm shot too! 

Texted with a labrador friend who is a little bit over the top about this stuff and I ultimately decided to go with the separate flea/tick meds. I never even used to give them to Tessie so we’ll see if I continue with Poppy. It depends on how much we get out to wooded areas. I despise ticks. 

We actually just switched to NexGard. It's tough getting the girls to take anything. They thank goodness like it. 

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala