Cooling coats - when and how

I've read all the threads on heat management that I could find (including mentions of our beloved Rocket :wub: in the desert) but still have a few questions regarding cooling coats.

It's early June at 79 degrees at 7 a.m.  We keep our walks early and stay on sidewalks or grass avoiding pavement whenever possible.  After a 30-40 minute walk, Jupiter seems to cool down within 10-15 minutes (we delay breakfast until he's cool).  Morning's will only get hotter so I'm considering a cooling coat.  But... physics.  The humidity here ranges from 95-1000% ;) .   I don't think a wet coat will work as it won't evaporate.

I'm happy for all suggestions for other types of cool coats or other products.  (Yes, yes, we will be having a discussion of leather boots for hot pavements).  Thanks in advance

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

If it were me, I would simply carry a small spray bottle filled with ice water and mist him as needed in the key areas of his body that will help him cool down quickly: back of the neck, armpits and groin. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

1 hour ago, FiveRoooooers said:

If it were me, I would simply carry a small spray bottle filled with ice water and mist him as needed in the key areas of his body that will help him cool down quickly: back of the neck, armpits and groin. 

:nod And a cooling mat when he gets inside can help too. We have this one.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

31 minutes ago, ramonaghan said:

:nod And a cooling mat when he gets inside can help too. We have this one.

What a good idea that is! What size do you have for the sibs or is it one size fits all?

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

3 minutes ago, FiveRoooooers said:

What a good idea that is! What size do you have for the sibs or is it one size fits all?

We have the 27x43 from Sweep :heart which is fine for Willa, but I think Doolin would need the 35x55 (though he doesn't seem to object to just laying on the bare bathroom tile :blink:).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

If we aren't back from a walk by 6:30 AM in the summer, the walk isn't happening. So from May - October, very few walks happen here. They will still run in the yard and do an occasional walk if we get a cloudy or rainy day during our monsoon season, but for the most part, Mark and LaVida really don't care. Maybe because they are both older, not sure.  Walks just aren't a priority for them. The last time I took Mark for a walk, we got one house away and he turned around and headed home. No idea what that was about. 

I found that using anything as a cooling coat or even a wet towel only really works if there is air moving over it. We put a fan on high and pointed it any of our dogs who overheated while changing out wet towels or the home made cooling coat as the garment or twoel warmed up and the cooling effect was lost. 

Here, we also really can't walk in the evneing as the residual heat on the sidewalks and streets is still too hot tothe touch for paws. Even after sundown concrete will still be well over 100 degrees for hours. 

Camp Greyhound has an indoor pool. Jus' sayin....:rotfl

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

6 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

That's what I do.  They have smaller bottles in the $store.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

2 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Camp Greyhound has an indoor pool. Jus' sayin....:rotfl

We have an outdoor pool and I can't wait to get Jupiter into it.  So far, it's been a big NOPE but maybe as it gets even hotter....

You may remember my Mercury got used to the pool.... eventually.

299803555_10160481229858910_8206944193143623761_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=yX6dyI0hhLsAX-3NCT5&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=00_AfAUWqwDbUa0Z5IMcxHEfMm8Y9MT8L-dzjEb0Cm4rGMwJQ&oe=648CDCB1

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

56 minutes ago, Mercsmom said:

We have an outdoor pool and I can't wait to get Jupiter into it.  So far, it's been a big NOPE but maybe as it gets even hotter....

You may remember my Mercury got used to the pool.... eventually.

299803555_10160481229858910_8206944193143623761_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=e3f864&_nc_ohc=yX6dyI0hhLsAX-3NCT5&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-2.xx&oh=00_AfAUWqwDbUa0Z5IMcxHEfMm8Y9MT8L-dzjEb0Cm4rGMwJQ&oe=648CDCB1

That looks awesome! 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

IMG-4946.jpg

Elizabeth, this is a good cooling coat. I've met the makers at several events and safety is a priority. https://www.etsy.com/shop/CouchPotatoDogKnits?ref=hdr_shop_menu&fbclid=IwAR2UrG7_eJCfGtVbIUWK7WmRzXzevmvHwqrlwmCH4rj39pkA2wK9w0Ucs-4&section_id=21699597

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

11 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

IMG-4946.jpg

:rofl

1 hour ago, macoduck said:

Elizabeth, this is a good cooling coat. I've met the makers at several events and safety is a priority. https://www.etsy.com/shop/CouchPotatoDogKnits?ref=hdr_shop_menu&fbclid=IwAR2UrG7_eJCfGtVbIUWK7WmRzXzevmvHwqrlwmCH4rj39pkA2wK9w0Ucs-4&section_id=21699597

I saw that one (you had posted it in another thread).  I'm still concerned that anything that relies of evaporation won't work in our humidity.

Here's what the Couch Potato ladies said about dealing with humidity:

In regards to the cooling vest situation in Florida. We have sold many down there & in fact started out with our own greyhound living in St Pete so we know that really heavy humidity & it's no fun. What we always suggest with the vests when they are going to be used in high humidity is to leave the coat damper than normal when using.
This way the coolness will stay for longer. Dunk it in a bucket of iced water & then only wring it out slightly even though it may drip a little.
We also suggest carrying a bottle of iced water when you are out on any longer walks as it's an easy on & off to do a quick replenish & your dog will stay cool.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png