Help needed for kennel coat to shiny coat for brindle

BrindleMom

Hi Eveyone!

We are loving life with our new big brindle boy.  I’ve read a lot of posts on getting black coats smooth and shiny, but wanted to ask about how to get the best brindle coat?

We’ve had Siggy for about 3 months, and when he came to us he had a coarse dry kennel coat, bald thighs and elbow calluses. 

Took great advice from past posts and did frequent brushing, and added Grizzly fish oil (salmon+pollack) to his diet. We used the recommended amount  on the bottle for his weight - 3 pumps. 

He shed a ton!! And his thighs have grown in nicely and the shedding/loose hair has decreased tremendously. Also his elbows are nice and soft now. 

But his coat is still coarse and not as smooth or shiny as I’ve seen with others greys - although I’ve only seen solid colors in person. 

Any advice on how we can continue to improve his coat? 

Should we increase the amount of fish oil (or change brands)? No loose poops with current amount.

Maybe try/add something else - coconut oil? Primrose oil?

Can I expect his brindle coat to be as soft and shiny as the other coats?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

I had a brindle greyhound that had a small patch of corse hair/dry skin.  I put vitamin E on it and it went away after regularly being treated.  I also looked for foods with vitamin E higher up on the list of ingredients.

I never supplemented with is so not sure of the proper amount.  Topically it worked wonders maybe find a shampoo with it.  Lots of brushing using a dandy brush or finishing brush.  It helps distribute there skins natural oils.

Thanks to genetics I think there's some variation in coat type, as with humans - some greyhounds will have finer softer hair growth than others.

That said, I have owned two brindles - Doc my first greyhound was a red brindle, Tiger my current one is silver brindle, and Ken in between was solid black. All three ultimately grew nice soft, shiny coats which I put down to:

• a daily fish oil capsule
  • a small tin of sardines with dinner twice a week (always very popular :chow)
  • daily grooming, first a brushing and then a 'polish' (i.e. light rub down) with an old silk scarf

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

6 minutes ago, DocsDoctor said:

Thanks to genetics I think there's some variation in coat type, as with humans - some greyhounds will have finer softer hair growth than others.

That said, I have owned two brindles - Doc my first greyhound was a red brindle, Tiger my current one is silver brindle, and Ken in between was solid black. All three ultimately grew nice soft, shiny coats which I put down to:

• a daily fish oil capsule
  • a small tin of sardines with dinner twice a week (always very popular :chow)
  • daily grooming, first a brushing and then a 'polish' (i.e. light rub down) with an old silk scarf

This pretty much covers it, although if the oil you are already adding to his food is working, I would keep on with that rather than switch to a capsule or add a different oil. My brindles never looked as shiny as my black dogs, but they were certainly soft. I think the brindle coloring just doesn’t lend itself to shiny :D

Color doesn't make any difference to coat consistency.

What he's already shed out is all the dead stuff from the previous year.  It will probably take another year to completely change over his kennel coat to his pet coat.  I would not add any more oils to his diet.  In addition to loose stools, too much dietary fat can also trigger pancreatitis attacks, and other health issues.  But do keep up with the brushing daily or every other day.  In addition to helping remove dead hair and skin cells, it will also keep the skin oils moving through the coat and help it transition.  Don't bath him too often as that can strip the natural oils from the fur and defeat the purpose of trying to get him shiny.

Another factor is whether you dog has a thicker undercoat or not.  He may be one of those greyhounds with a more "labby" fluffy coat, or he may be one who is very sleek and thin - again, the color of it doesn't really matter.  You can usually see a sleek and shiny coat more on solid colors, just because it's more easily reflective, but a brindle can be as soft and pretty as any other color.

If you really feel the need to add another supplement, try generic vitamin E capsules.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have always given my dogs Vibrant Pets. Within a couple of weeks, their fur has gone from coarse and sparse to bunny soft and full.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

It sounds like Siggy's coat has already improved a lot since you got him. It might continue to change, or this might be the way he is. As long as his skin is healthy and he's eating good food I think the rest is genetic. Greyhounds seem to come in different coat types. My first girl had super thick, soft plushy fur, almost like a rabbit. But it was not really shiny. Current girl is smooth, slick, and shiny but not at all plush. I call her my sea lion. I have also met greyhounds with a harder, more wiry coat. They are not breed for their coat so there will be variation.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

it can take 6 weeks to 6 months for a kennel coat to change. just make sure the kibble has enough protein and fat to support the thin skinned dogs. around 26-7% protein and 16% fat. salmon is a choice food that will help w/ coats. cold pressed salmon oil or salmon/pollock oil are excellent. once change at a time- first kibble, make sure you dog adjusts to it then add oil. be patient.

daily brushing with a firm but not hard bush helps bring the oils up to the surface. i use a soft nubby rubber goat glove then finishing the grooming off w/ a firm bristol brush. something like the men's square hair brush should be fine. don't use a furminator, just a soft curry comb or rubber nubby glove to remove the dead hair.

Our brindle boy came to us with a flaky,dry coarse coat.  Like others here have said we added oil to his food for about a year and continue to give a daily brush with a hounds glove.  It took him about a year to year and a half to turn his coat over.  His coat now, 4 years later, is soft and does have a shine when the sun hits it obliquely.  He still has a ruff down each side of his neck which is just a little rough and his slight feathering on his tail. I call it his inner saluki coming out 😂