Itching red eye

Into The Future: Large white greyhound, 88 llbs, well built, playful, up to date on shots. Generally has a mixture of grated apples, home cooked chicken, grated cheese for meals or we also give him beef or fish. Loves his sweet potato, carrots, peas, also. Likes Costco Dog Biscuits chicken and rice formula, and milk bones. and chicken Nyla bones. Sometimes he has scrambled eggs for breakfast and toast. We only have kibble on hand for emergencies as we rather make our own food for the dogs. He is seven years old and very spry and playful and runs like a puppy. He is our 7th greyhound. His partner our 6th greyhound is doing great and she has no redness in her eye. We adopted Future in 11/4/2018 and he has no known issues on his medical history, other than normal scrapes now and then.  He loves food. It  may be an allergy, not sure, but his eye is red on the corners, but appears to be clear elsewhere. He rubs his face against me in the morning when he gets up and acts as if he wants to scratch that area, as he rubs it. Most of the day it does not seem to bother him. It is spring and things are starting to bloom. I am wondering if there are any safe human eye drops OTC that he may be able to try to see if it stops the itching or open for suggestions. He is not bothering the other eye at this time, but I will be watching it to see if any change.  

There may be, I would call your vet and see what they suggest.  I always recommend a vet visit for any eye issue.  They know what they're doing and have instruments to check much more closely than your naked eye can.  Especially in the absence of any definite cause.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Eye concerns are definitely a call to the vet, as Chris notes above. In the meantime, a rinse with saline solution might be soothing and enough to clear out any accumulated debris. Sometimes we get lucky and it's that simple. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 1 month later...

Just coming back to tell about my Greyhound Into The Future. We took him to the vet about a week after my post. She examined him and thought that maybe he had an ear infection and put him on an anti biotic and gabapentin. Also ear drops. That did not stop him from rubbing the side of his face, so around ten days later we took him back and she did a major blood test and  she took xrays. They also did major tick testing. Not much changed since the ten days before but because he was now showing signs of having trouble with his back right leg, she suggested we take him to a neurologist. We could only get an appt for may  17th, but was told that if we wanted, we could take him in through emergency and they may do the MRI sooner.  So we took him in last night, dropped him off. They did a blood test and said that most things came out good, but there were some serious issues. His WBC was down. His Eosinophils was .02 his monocytes were .13 his lymphocytes .41 and his neutrophils was 3.05.  They also took many more xrays and nothing showed in his body that way that looked wrong. In the morning they are going to do an MRI in a couple of hours. It is not looking good for him she said. She said that those  four parts of the WBC and his new head tilt, and his back leg issue probably meant that he had brain cancer. There also seemed to be  a wasting away of muscle in his right side of the face in a very short time. There were no strong visible signs, just mostly him rubbing his paw over his face until this past week when he got the head tilt and started to not see where he was going on his right side, with stopping and rechecking it. Early Monday in the wee morning hours he was also listless. Future just turned seven years old. He had raced for four years until he had a major fall at the track. No injuries were reported. He was adopted for four days and returned and than we got him. When ever we get a new greyhound, we always do major base line blood tests, as we have lost one to GME, one with osteosarcoma and one with hemangiosarcoma. At that time his tests were all great and stayed that way until he was attacked by an animal last April 2021. Only one of his above four numbers were low, he got a couple of stitches, his other eye stitched and ten days later had his dental and had two teeth pulled. He did good with all of that. I live in the country, next to a state park. My husband passed March in 2021.with multiple myeloma, kidney and heart disease. And many more things. My adult son lives with me and has CP. Into the Future is such a sweetheart and an important part of our lives since we adopted him on 11/4/20108 He has a partner also called Hashtag Pasadena. She is doing good and has just turned nine. She is also a white Greyhound. Future is our seventh greyhound. I will keep up my hopes that the doctor is wrong, that maybe, there could just be some type of infection that could be cured instead, but I will just leave it there for now. 

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Future. Please keep us posted.  :bighug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.