A day in the life of a racing Greyhound

I wonder if anyone has the insight into the industry to sketch out a typical life for a racing dog?  I have a rough understanding and I'm sure standards of care differ from place to place, but I think it might help me understand some of the behaviours my 4 year old male displays.  I am in the UK and our male dog raced here - about 40 races in his career and a strong performer.  He was born into the industry and raced until he was about 3.5 years and is currently approaching his 5th birthday.

He has some nicks in his ears which I assume is down to other dogs biting - either through aggression or play.  I wonder how dogs tend to live when not racing - i.e. in groups or individual kennels?

Edited by steerpike

I don't have wide experience, but the rescue my greyhounds came from is housed within a complex of greyhound kennels of the traditional British kind, which dates back to the 1920s. The greyhounds' kennels are housed within long, well-ventilated buildings and look rather like horse loose-boxes, but with a raised bed platform at the back. The dogs live in those individually or in pairs. They are fed dry food + a meaty stew boiled up in a copper, either in their kennels or on leashes outside them. There are also turn-out areas, where the dogs can go separately or together for some/ exercise while their kennels are being cleaned, and then they will also be taken out for walks and for training.

You might like to try watching some of a series of 'Dogumentaries' on YouTube; these were made in the UK 10 years ago, to promote retired racing greyhounds as pets, and feature real-life footage of their life as puppies, in training, on the track. The voiceovers were I assume done by professional comedians - certainly they're very funny and the production values high. Here's my favourite:

And this British Pathe clip from 1939 was actually filmed at the kennels I mention above - most of the staff will be female these days, and the dogs' teeth brushed with toothpaste rather than peroxide, but otherwise the routines won't have changed that much.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

:lol they were great! It’s astonishing how little the breed has changed in 80 years, compared to something like the German shepherd, for example. I have to say that Buddy has the same unimpressed expression on his face when I do his ‘toilette’ for him, too.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

:lol I'd forgotten about the Dogumentaries, those are great! And very much enjoyed the British accounting!

This photo series done by Rachel Hogue is also terrific. I think the FB post has documentation for each of the photos.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

When I need a chuckle I watch the Dogumentaries.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

really interesting video, thanks for the links @DocsDoctorand @FiveRoooooers

I did a double take because the grey/blue dog in the video is *almost* a spitting image for mine. Even the white patches on the paws.  It's only the white on the nose that finally put it to rest! Otherwise, he's absolutely identical. Astonishing, although perhaps this is a common colour passed down through breeding (grey/blue with a white 'tuxedo'). 

Edited by steerpike
error

First time I've seen the Dogumentaries.  Hilarious.  And probably spot on about what they think of us.  

Steerpike, I've always wondered about the reasons for the tuxedo pattern.  Is there a benefit to the animal?  For example, with the white tip on the tail, it helps other dogs see that "alert" flag.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I am glad to see the Dogumentaries acquiring some new fans!

Tuxedo pattern - all to do with genetics, obviously. As I understand it, while a puppy is still in the womb the cells responsible for hair pigmentation spread down and outwards from the crest of their back - and don't always reach the furthest bits, which will then remain white. A full scientific account going into different kinds of markings  can be found here.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

On 3/6/2022 at 1:27 PM, DocsDoctor said:

I am glad to see the Dogumentaries acquiring some new fans!

Tuxedo pattern - all to do with genetics, obviously. As I understand it, while a puppy is still in the womb the cells responsible for hair pigmentation spread down and outwards from the crest of their back - and don't always reach the furthest bits, which will then remain white. A full scientific account going into different kinds of markings  can be found here.

That's interesting. Guinness's pigmentation cells must have worked overtime because he hasn't got a single bit of white on him.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time