DENTAL QUOTES

Violet had 4 dentals and they all ranged between $2500 and $3000 but that was with a veterinary dentist, and I live in a HCOL area. If a regular vet quoted me that I would laugh in their face. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That does sound excessive. Before you name the vet in question can you get quotes from other vets in your area?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I took my Sirius to a veterinary dentist last November.  The estimate was $3600-$5400 to have an upper canine and two molars pulled, with the possibility of 2 more molars.  The canine was the tricky one, and therefore was much more expensive.  Doctor was going to pull a flap of skin from inside Sirius' cheek to cover the hole left by the canine, so he was doing plastic surgery as well as dental surgery.  Sadly, Sirius was diagnosed with lung cancer the week before the scheduled surgery, and passed.

20 hours ago, Bogangles said:

Yes, this was a regular vet. Says she knows greyhounds but I do not think she does.

I think people should know to stay away from this clinic. We are located in Toronto Canada.

Was this just for a cleaning or are extractions included? Extractions, depending on the tooth can cause the price to vary wildly so it would be helpful to include the breakdown. Here (again, HCOL area) I would expect a dental with my regular vet to cost at least $1000. I'm just guessing, but I was quoted $800 many years ago. I know there are places that will do it cheaper, but I do believe you get what you pay for in this regard. 

The suggestion to get an estimate from another vet or two is a good idea. 

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

1 hour ago, oldrunners said:

I took my Sirius to a veterinary dentist last November.  The estimate was $3600-$5400 to have an upper canine and two molars pulled, with the possibility of 2 more molars.  The canine was the tricky one, and therefore was much more expensive.  Doctor was going to pull a flap of skin from inside Sirius' cheek to cover the hole left by the canine, so he was doing plastic surgery as well as dental surgery.  Sadly, Sirius was diagnosed with lung cancer the week before the scheduled surgery, and passed.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. It must have been devastating.

Thank you everyone for your replies. Yes, there needs to be extractions -- the back molars in particular.

I have been to many vets with my dog since I got her six years ago. The the one before this one said she did not need extractions!  But she does.

I had two greyhounds before and spent so much money trying to save them. My girl had three dentals but nothing as high as $3000. Trying to find a good vet here seems to be impossible, especially one who understands greyhound sensitivities and having to put them under. The pandemic has increased their business and the fact that you cannot stay with your dog on the first visit makes it more difficult.

As a final note here is one vet who has done dentals for 20 years (no greyhound patients) who would be more reasonable but she does not have an xray machine which I felt was important?

Anyway, thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it.

Sorry, that sounds frustrating. And yes, I think dental x-rays are critical. Any possibility you could travel for it? With my previous greyhound, we drove to OSU because it was still cheaper with their prices and the hotel room and they were experts in greyhounds and anesthesia. We switched to the vet dentist for Violet because she would get stressed in the car so that didn't make as much sense for her. 

Yes, I agree about x-rays and that was one reason I did not go there.

Thanks to Tracy on the forum, she wanted me to go to OSU with my previous girl. Our dollar was higher than the US$ at that time but not now, plus we have the pandemic issues. We could drive down there in a day. The only thought I had was if something went wrong I would need to get her back across the border.

Anyway, you gave me an idea. I should call the Guelph University here and see what they are up to.

Thank you!

$1,000-$1,500 at regular vet including blood work, x-rays and extractions.  Cost really depended on how much anesthesia they needed. 

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15