Is too high a meat content really an issue?

Moo

*touch wood* Rumble is finally in a happy stomach place! I'm giving him a fibre supplement and Naturediet Lamb, which is a good quality wet food with a simple set of ingredients, but relatively high meat content compared to some wet food. Full ingredients are: 

Lamb (60%), rice (10%), carrots (6%), natural ground bone, dried seaweed. 

I've seen written in a few places that too much meat is bad for dogs, greys in particular, as it causes liver issues down the line. I obviously don't want to cause him problems, but the food he's on is great for not only his poo (💩) but his coat is lovely and glossy too. 

Does anyone have any insight as to the truth behind the meat thing? If there's any studies I'd be interested in reading more, as the information I've heard was only on social media, which obviously needs taken with a few kilos of salt. 

I have heard (no scientific sources) that a food with too high a protein % can cause problems. That said my dogs have all been fed a mostly raw diet which is around 88% meat, and raw at that, with no diet related health problems.  I would say, stick with what he is doing well on.

edited to add, my old girl is currently eating a canned lamb and rice food with no issues. I don’t see a percentage of meat listed, but I am sure it is fairly high.

Edited by Remolacha

Yeah this is what I was thinking, surely if it's an issue raw wouldn't be the optimum diet? I'd like to try raw some time, or maybe supplement with raw, but my family still have hang ups about giving dogs raw meat. 🙄

Maybe you're thinking about how feeding an all or almost all meat diet is bad because bone has critical nutrients that aren't in meat? It's shared as a caution for raw diet feeders who may not realize that there needs to be bone as well.

Since what you're feeding is a prepared food and has bone I wouldn't worry. I'm sure it's got nutrients to make it an appropriately balanced diet if it's sold as a food, not a meal supplement or treat,  and doesn't say otherwise. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The percentage of meat and the percentage of protein are not the same. Lamb has a protein content of about 33% so although your food has 60% lamb it is only 20% protein which is within the recommended levels suggested for a retired greyhound.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Here in the USA dog food should have a statement on it about being a "complete and balanced food". That means it is intended to be a real food, not just a topper or additive or something. It sounds like what you're feeding is just fine, but is there anything similar in the UK?

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

It's more about the percentage of protein than meat.  Some greyhounds have **HORRIBLE** gas from too high a protein content in their food.  Some have indigestion issues, soft stools, or even pancreatitis from food that is too rich.

The other issue we're discovering is that a diet that does *not* contain a whole grain (and adds protein through the addition of legumes) somehow contributes to dogs developing "Nutritional Dilated CardioMyopathy" (N-DCM).  A disease that causes their hearts to balloon in size, have difficulty pumping blood, leading to heart failure and death.  It's not know how or why this occurs and it is being actively studied.  Since your food does contain 10% rice, it's probably OK.

Here in the US it's very rare for a dog to eat a diet of only canned food.  It's usually a combination of dry kibble topped with canned food (or just dry kibble).  I do have a dog that only eats canned, and even though it does contain oats and says it's a "complete and balanced food," I still add a couple tablespoons of oat bran to her meals to make sure she does not develop N-DCM, and to add insoluble fiber to her diet to help with her stools.

All that being said, I say, stick with what works for your dog.  Every dog reacts to every food differently, and, if you've found something that works, that your dog eats, that maintains weight and energy level, and is *safe* for them to consume - don't mess with success!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly