Will an x-ray be any use?

MattB

22 minutes ago, cleptogrey said:

yup, they seem to take a piece of your heart, don't they? i'm sorry as to your loss- but do remember all the good, obnoxious, hysterical, silly, loving times and go celebrate and toast to a wonderful companion who was all heart!  :f_red

That's what's upsetting me so much at the moment. The last week has been so sleep deprived and meal deprived (I had been sleeping on the floor with Charlie) that I'm worried I've forgotten about all the lovely everyday stuff that we did for the last 7 years.

I think Charlie waited to see you get to that point that saying goodbye was a distinct possibility, letting your head accept what was coming even if your heart wasn't ready.

For what it's worth, despite all your angst and questions you did everything right. I would have done the same. I threw over $6000 at a veterinary teaching hospital to save Mazy and they never found out what was wrong with her. I couldn't bear doing an autopsy.

Consider it a gift that you know what Charlie had since it alleves you of the pain of never knowing what was wrong.

That he wanted to stay with you as long as possible, and not showing much discomfort, is a testament to how much he loved you.

I will add Charlie's name to the list of Bridge Angels here on GT. He will be in very good company.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

3 minutes ago, macoduck said:

I think Charlie waited to see you get to that point that saying goodbye was a distinct possibility, letting your head accept what was coming even if your heart wasn't ready.

For what it's worth, despite all your angst and questions you did everything right. I would have done the same. I threw over $6000 at a veterinary teaching hospital to save Mazy and they never found out what was wrong with her. I couldn't bear doing an autopsy.

Consider it a gift that you know what Charlie had since it alleves you of the pain of never knowing what was wrong.

That he wanted to stay with you as long as possible, and not showing much discomfort, is a testament to how much he loved you.

I will add Charlie's name to the list of Bridge Angels here on GT. He will be in very good company.

Thank you so much. 

Thank you everyone.

I'm sorry this thread stopped being a medical discussion and about a broken heart. It means a lot to know you all understand this.

I'm always worried that I'm going to forget things about my Bridge kids. So within a week of a loss I start writing down in an email and saved as a draft everything they did. As I write, more stuff pops in my mind. Years later I can read these memories and smile. Often thinking "ah yes, I forgot about that ".

I just did this last week.  :brokenheart

Run free Charlie....

I am so sorry that you had to make 'the decision', but please know that it was the right one to make.

We have all been through this, and it is never easy. 

Remember all the good times you and Charlie had together...and smile.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

On 2/15/2021 at 12:02 AM, MattB said:

Thanks for your response. Can I ask a follow up question - would you wait before going for an x-ray? The reason I ask is that I've been looking at some old messages and Charlie has had a couple of incidents like this before - quite bad limping which goes on for two or three weeks - last time they definitely thought it was his shoulder as it is now (what is frustrating is I can't remember which shoulder) and we treated with painkillers and it got better but it did take time. I think it is maybe slightly worse now although he's a year older. I'm just wondering what is reasonable, whether we could give it a few more days with some stronger pain medication and see which way it goes before deciding to x-ray. 

So sorry I didn't see this reply before you got confirmation.  The way you handled it cannot be faulted.  I'd always want an X-Ray if the dog didn't improve over 2-3 days or walk considerably more easily on grass, and always if there was a lump or tender spot on a leg.