Why is the coat color called RED and white??

It depends on the light, sometimes mine are red, sometimes a little more orange, sometimes almost brown. It's like people's red hair, it comes in lots of shades. Of course, once we all get older, it fades and goes to white.

That hound looks like my Roman, he doesn't have the saddle, tho.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

There wasn't a word for orange before 1512 ish when the fruit was introduced to England which is why orange things are called red e.g. red deer, red kite, robin red breast etc.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

You can have “red fawn” and “blue fawn” colour coats when registering dogs. “Blue” is actually grey!

I have had red fawn and blue fawn dogs, the red fawn is a darker red/brown while the blue fawn is a lighter cream/ grey.

Red brindle dogs have a darker background and black markings while blue brindles have grey markings and possibly lighter colour background.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

14 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

There wasn't a word for orange before 1512 ish when the fruit was introduced to England which is why orange things are called red e.g. red deer, red kite, robin red breast etc.

Never realized that, but it makes total sense!

Lila definitely was more orange than red. Coincidentally, I am also a redhead whose hair is not really red.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Just like with lots of descriptive adjectives for colors, it's all relative.  

From what I can tell, "red" is a subset of the "fawn" color classification.  It delineates it from Blue fawn or other shades of fawn - though there are loads of descriptive color types that aren't official like champagne fawn.  A regular, plain fawn is a sort of tan or toast color, while red fawns are considerably darker, and may actually be sabled (with black or darker tips on the outer guard hairs).

Here's an "official" chart. but many variations exist.  Color is not an official disqualifier in the AKC breed standard, and it matters not at all for NGA registration.

Official Greyhound Color Chart

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly