Corns

My dog has his first corn, along with an infection in that same toe that he’s been battling for weeks. He’s still limping and I really think it’s the corn. I’ve read several treatments for corns and I called one vet and got quoted $750 for removal and anesthesia. Is this a process that requires them to be asleep? I saw videos of corn hulling and the dog was awake. Does it hurt the dog? I really don’t want to do any type of surgery. I ordered some bag balm and a therapaw boot for the meantime. It’s not yet sticking out of his paw pad, the area kind of dips in. Are there any of ways to remove the corn that isn’t going to cost me almost $1000? I’ve already spent $3,000 treating whatever infection it was he had. Even if it’s like something I need to do daily I’m fine with that until I can afford a surgery if that’s the only option. How much does corn hulling usually cost? $750 sounds like a lot. 

Having lived with a dog with corns on all four feet I will tell you do NOT do surgery.  It costs an arm and a leg and they come right back.  The only thing that fixed Rex O'Million was duct tape.  Google it.  It has to be name brand not dollar store variety.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

3 minutes ago, Hubcitypam said:

Having lived with a dog with corns on all four feet I will tell you do NOT do surgery.  It costs an arm and a leg and they come right back.  The only thing that fixed Rex O'Million was duct tape.  Google it.  It has to be name brand not dollar store variety.

Yeah I wasn’t going to do surgery. And now I just noticed another one on his other paw, but that is kind of on the side so I don’t think it’s been bothering him.  I bought one of those dental tools to try and hull it myself. I also bought some duct tape, but haven’t tried it yet. How long did you leave the tape on? 

If you're on Facebook, join the "Greyhounds with Corns" group.  Lots of knowledge and support make it worth joining FB even if you're not on it yet.

What a vet means when they say "surgical removal" is basically just a really really deep hulling under anesthesia.  THIS IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!  Mostly because they just come back no matter how deep you go.  There is a surgery that many people have had success with in getting completely rid of their corns called a "Flexor Tenotomy."  This involves snipping the tendon that controls the toe and creating what trainers call a "sprung toe" on the dog.  Releasing the tension on the tendon seems to heal the root cause of the corn, for what ever reason.  If you join the above group, you will immediately be advised to do this on your dog.  IMO, there are still too many questions about this recently developed technique to be doing it willy nilly and bunches of dogs, but it does seem to work, so it's up to each individual to decide if this surgery is worth it for them and their dog.

So, yes, you can definitely hull your own dogs corns at home.  Soak the foot in epsom salts and warm-to-hotish water (or wrap a wet cloth around his foot and cover) for about 10 minutes.  After soaking, check the pad to see if the edges of the corn are pulled away from the pad and try and get a chunk out with your dental tool.  If the corn isn't on the surface or able to be hulled yet, you may need to moisturize and try again the next day.

Without seeing it, it's hard to say if your dealing with a corn or with a foreign body.  The fact that he had an infection leads me to believe he *may* still have something in his pad which *will* need to be surgically explored and removed.  Many times it's a piece of wood or glass that doesn't show up on xrays, so exploratory surgery is the only way.  This is something to discuss with your vet.

Corns suck.  There's just no way around it.  Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agree join the greyhounds with corns group on facebook.  My dog was diagnosed with corns over the summer.  I have learned so much from the facebook group.  I can hull the corns easily, I also use a dental tool.  There are many options to help you make your grey more comfortable.  People are having a lot of luck using colloidal silver.  Join the group if you can, it provides the best information I have found.  Good luck, once you get the hang of it hulling is not a big deal (if your grey tolerates it) and the whole corn thing, although a pain is not as overwhelming.

52 minutes ago, greysmom said:

If you're on Facebook, join the "Greyhounds with Corns" group.  Lots of knowledge and support make it worth joining FB even if you're not on it yet.

What a vet means when they say "surgical removal" is basically just a really really deep hulling under anesthesia.  THIS IS TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!  Mostly because they just come back no matter how deep you go.  There is a surgery that many people have had success with in getting completely rid of their corns called a "Flexor Tenotomy."  This involves snipping the tendon that controls the toe and creating what trainers call a "sprung toe" on the dog.  Releasing the tension on the tendon seems to heal the root cause of the corn, for what ever reason.  If you join the above group, you will immediately be advised to do this on your dog.  IMO, there are still too many questions about this recently developed technique to be doing it willy nilly and bunches of dogs, but it does seem to work, so it's up to each individual to decide if this surgery is worth it for them and their dog.

So, yes, you can definitely hull your own dogs corns at home.  Soak the foot in epsom salts and warm-to-hotish water (or wrap a wet cloth around his foot and cover) for about 10 minutes.  After soaking, check the pad to see if the edges of the corn are pulled away from the pad and try and get a chunk out with your dental tool.  If the corn isn't on the surface or able to be hulled yet, you may need to moisturize and try again the next day.

Without seeing it, it's hard to say if your dealing with a corn or with a foreign body.  The fact that he had an infection leads me to believe he *may* still have something in his pad which *will* need to be surgically explored and removed.  Many times it's a piece of wood or glass that doesn't show up on xrays, so exploratory surgery is the only way.  This is something to discuss with your vet.

Corns suck.  There's just no way around it.  Good luck.

I’ve been in contact with Dr. Couto and he confirmed there is a corn. If I have to do surgery later on then fine, but I can’t afford it right now after all the money I just spent trying to clear this infection. I did join that Facebook group and for some good info. I tried duct tape just now and it doesn’t stick AT ALL. So not sure what was wrong there. 

Even my vet said, last time we were there, I can remove the corn for you, but it is just going to come back.  I told him I use duck tape and he was surprised that it works.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

A big no to the surgery for removal of corns and as others have said they come back. Grace had an abscess between her toes caused by bits if gravel embedded from her racing days and the vet removed a corn whist she was under so it didn't cost much more. Came back in a couple of months bigger and better.

I wouldn't have the Flexor Tenotomy operation either as this puts pressure on the other toes and what happens if the hound gets corns on those?

Grace has a corn on three of the toes on her front left foot and had a couple on the right front foot. A combination of duct tape and human corn/wart remover gel got rid of the right foot ones but the others are persistent so and so's. Having tried everything it's now a case of managing them. I grind them down every other day with a dog nail grinder. Put Burt's Bees hand salve on and cover with a baby sock every day and dog boot when we go for a walk on hard surfaces. I try and take her to the park in the car so she doesn't have to walk on the pavements as often as possible.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

19 minutes ago, Krstewart85 said:

How do you use duct tape though? I just tried it and it doesn’t even stick. 

It has to be real duct tape, thicker and with much better glue than what they sell in the cheap stores.  Either "Gorilla Tape" or "Duck Tape Max Strength".  You put just a square piece big enough to cover the corn area, then change it for a new one at night. It might take a month.

18 minutes ago, JohnF said:

It has to be real duct tape, thicker and with much better glue than what they sell in the cheap stores.  Either "Gorilla Tape" or "Duck Tape Max Strength".  You put just a square piece big enough to cover the corn area, then change it for a new one at night. It might take a month.

I got 3M brand, it was $8 so definitely not cheap. I saw the gorilla tape there but thought duct tape would suffice. I guess I’ll have to get the other one. 

I haven't had a problem with it sticking and have been lucky enough that the dog didn't other with it.  Our Paulie had a seed wart and it came right out with the tape when I removed it.  It does take a bit of time for the corn to rise up on the pad.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

6 hours ago, Krstewart85 said:

I got 3M brand, it was $8 so definitely not cheap. I saw the gorilla tape there but thought duct tape would suffice. I guess I’ll have to get the other one. 

3M brand is not the best, it's too thin, the glue isn't tacky enough and there are water issues with it. I know because I temporarily mended the padded seat on a chair with both, and it was the Gorilla tape from 3 months ago that still stayed in place. Waterproof? I fixed the mirror housing on my car with Gorilla tape after 3M failed.