New to hookworms

18 hours ago, 1Moregrey said:

Today is a day to mark on my calendar and celebrate each year!  Journey has finally had back to back negative fecal test!  :banana Been working on them since August 2020.
She got to :gh_run2 and :gh_bowin the yard finally it was a great day.  Next is the 6 month check.  For those of you fighting the battle there is light it took us 15 months but we made it two negatives in a row.  I am so happy and she will be to each time she gets to play in yard without a long walk before to make sure she was empty :catscat.  
Thanks for all the advice and support along the way.

Congratulations! No wonder you’re celebrating. Garden zoomies for everyone!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

On 11/10/2021 at 7:52 AM, cleptogrey said:

one of the new intakes in the local group had a sever negative reaction to the hookworm protocol- $5k later she is blind and a mess with neurological problems. do work with your vet and make sure that you don't poison your pup. it's a difficult task to clean them up. i personally would share the pro heart 6/12  regime and ask your vet a ton of questions. 

which meds was she given?  Poor girl :( 

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The problem was MDR1 sensitivity. It's common in some breeds- such as wind sprites. But occasionally/rarely a GH and other sighthounds might have it. They were using the recommended GH protocol.  

Multi-Drug Resistance Gene (MDR) codes for a protein that is responsible for protecting the brain by transporting potentially harmful chemicals away. In certain breeds, a mutation occurs in the MDR1 gene that causes sensitivity to Ivermectin, Loperamide, and a number of other common drugs.
Edited by cleptogrey

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I got Journey in August 2020 she came with hookworms it has been a long up and down struggle but we finally made it Three :bounce1:bounce1:bounce1 negative test in a row. :clap  

Now if she can just stop breaking her toe she could do zoomies in the yard.

I should of bought a lottery ticket definitely our lucky day!