Hello, I have just adopted a beautiful ex racer and she is also my first dog, and I am feeling really worried I am getting it wrong! She seems to be holding in her wee and poo, hasn't been at all today (it's lunchtime) she had a wee before bed last night and did do 3 pops in the day. She just keeps lying down on the grass and looking at me, then rolling on her back! Is this normal for a greyhound?! Any advice on this or anything general would be so appreciated as I feel worried and I just want her to be happy! I'm also struggling to get her to sleep either on the big bed I got her, or on her own sofa, she just wants to sprawl across mine or on my bed and won't move, this is maybe more funny than anything else😂 she only been here nearly 2 days so I don't want to upset her.

First off take a deep breath.  I was the same over 10 years ago and now I am on #4.  Take the new pup out for frequent walks preferably in a martingale collar or harness to avoid slipping out.  They will pee & poop when they  need to.  You can't force it.  2nd they will sleep where they want to but in my house no furniture or bed.  Too many privilege's too soon.   I had 3 that were independent & slept in a different room.  Then Patches (my 3rd) had to be near me at all times.  Do you have a crate?  Most like them to hang out in.   Lots of treats for good behavior helps also. 

The lying down in the grass and rolling on her back sounds like she is pretty relaxed already :) I would take her out (or let her out if you have a fenced yard) after she eats and on whatever schedule you want her to be on. They are very flexible dogs in adjusting to your routine, but they do like a routine. If you don’t want her on the bed or furniture now is the time to start that. If you don’t care, well, I let mine sleep wherever they want. Usually in my room on one of their beds (yes, I have multiple dog beds :rolleyes:

It sounds like she is doing fine, try to relax!

Hi Torster, welcome to the club! I’m on my first greyhound (had him for about 2 1/2 yrs) and I definitely agree with the idea of getting yours into a routine. Start walking her at times you are planning to walking her from the start. If she really needs to go at other times she will pee and poop in the garden. If she’s your first dog there might just not be enough stimulating smells to entice her to go in the garden yet.

It will take you a few weeks or months to get to know her quirks, but if yours is representative of the breed you might find that the more you try and get her to do something, the more she do the opposite (this is true of Buddy!). And as already stated, if you really don’t want her on the sofa/bed now is the time to make sure she knows. Tasty treats on her bed will make her happy to be there.

I think the first few months are a steep learning curve but you will look back on it soon and wonder what you were so stressed about! She’ll be part of the furniture before you know it...

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Grace does three poops on her morning walk at 7:00 am and that's it for the day. She wees during her morning walk and after having her second meal at about 4:30 pm. Occasionally she'll wee again if the opportunity arises such as just before she gets in the car to go and visit someone but often it's 12+ hours overnight between pees.

Rolling on the back is normal for greyhounds and as someone some time in the distant past thought they looked like a dying cockroach it's called roaching.

Don't let her do anything you don't want her to do later. The usual mistake is feeding treats when you're preparing food or giving her a crisp and then wondering why she won't leave you alone when you're eating.

There is plenty of help and advice on this site so don't be afraid to ask even if it is the most daft question ever. Your hound isn't that unique and whatever happens it's happened to lots of us before. They might look delicate dogs but are pretty robust and not like other dogs at all and with time patience and a sense of humour they make the best companions.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

16 hours ago, zimsmom said:

First off take a deep breath.  I was the same over 10 years ago and now I am on #4.  Take the new pup out for frequent walks preferably in a martingale collar or harness to avoid slipping out.  They will pee & poop when they  need to.  You can't force it.  2nd they will sleep where they want to but in my house no furniture or bed.  Too many privilege's too soon.   I had 3 that were independent & slept in a different room.  Then Patches (my 3rd) had to be near me at all times.  Do you have a crate?  Most like them to hang out in.   Lots of treats for good behavior helps also. 

thank you, I am trying to relax but she is much more chilled than me!  I don't have a crate, don't really have room for one but I put a bed under a big table for her...she won't lie on it. Got another big greyhound cushion bed and she wouldn't lie on that either.. I'm not sure she understands they are beds! I've been giving her plenty of treats and she is being such a good sweet girl :) I'll try not to worry about the toilets!

16 hours ago, Remolacha said:

The lying down in the grass and rolling on her back sounds like she is pretty relaxed already :) I would take her out (or let her out if you have a fenced yard) after she eats and on whatever schedule you want her to be on. They are very flexible dogs in adjusting to your routine, but they do like a routine. If you don’t want her on the bed or furniture now is the time to start that. If you don’t care, well, I let mine sleep wherever they want. Usually in my room on one of their beds (yes, I have multiple dog beds :rolleyes:

It sounds like she is doing fine, try to relax!

I think she is pretty relaxed, it's me that isn't :lol: I don't have a yard so I am taking her just across the road to a park, and she has been going there, but I guess theres' lots on noises to get used too, and maybe she just doesn't need to go often. I'm actually not sure how to stop her sleeping somewhere! Shes weed on my bedroom floor first night (my fault) so I felt like her on the bed was the only safe place so I could keep an eye on her haha.

Thanks I will try to relax!

14 hours ago, MerseyGrey said:

Hi Torster, welcome to the club! I’m on my first greyhound (had him for about 2 1/2 yrs) and I definitely agree with the idea of getting yours into a routine. Start walking her at times you are planning to walking her from the start. If she really needs to go at other times she will pee and poop in the garden. If she’s your first dog there might just not be enough stimulating smells to entice her to go in the garden yet.

It will take you a few weeks or months to get to know her quirks, but if yours is representative of the breed you might find that the more you try and get her to do something, the more she do the opposite (this is true of Buddy!). And as already stated, if you really don’t want her on the sofa/bed now is the time to make sure she knows. Tasty treats on her bed will make her happy to be there.

I think the first few months are a steep learning curve but you will look back on it soon and wonder what you were so stressed about! She’ll be part of the furniture before you know it...

Thank you! I actually thought we would walk around 7, but she has absolutely zero interest in getting up in the morning, and I don't know if I should try to make her or not? I don't have a garden so we have to go out, I guess there is so many new smells ec at the moment it's probably quite distracting for her. 

I've been trying to get her onto her sofa then give her a treat, but she usually just then takes it to the other sofa to eat :lol: I fear I am a bit of a pushover!

Thank you I'm sure your right, I felt like I should just let her do her own thing to help her settle in first few days but perhaps this was a mistake and I've taught her some wrong things!

3 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

Grace does three poops on her morning walk at 7:00 am and that's it for the day. She wees during her morning walk and after having her second meal at about 4:30 pm. Occasionally she'll wee again if the opportunity arises such as just before she gets in the car to go and visit someone but often it's 12+ hours overnight between pees.

Rolling on the back is normal for greyhounds and as someone some time in the distant past thought they looked like a dying cockroach it's called roaching.

Don't let her do anything you don't want her to do later. The usual mistake is feeding treats when you're preparing food or giving her a crisp and then wondering why she won't leave you alone when you're eating.

There is plenty of help and advice on this site so don't be afraid to ask even if it is the most daft question ever. Your hound isn't that unique and whatever happens it's happened to lots of us before. They might look delicate dogs but are pretty robust and not like other dogs at all and with time patience and a sense of humour they make the best companions.

That's reassuring to know that going long periods without a wee is not abnormal! It was 16 hrs yesterday, and today it's been 13 and she is asleep! Had no interest going this morning when we went out.

That's reassuring to, I think she just wanted me to pet her, but people were asking me if she was alright! I said I think so but I've only had her a day :blink:

Trying to get her used to not trying to nick my food, she went crazy when I brought my dinner in (I often eat on the sofa) and I lieterally had to hold her back with all my strength! She did settle in the end and let me eat but it's a work in progress haha.

Thank you, I feel much better already getting some advice! One thing this morning when we were out walking, there were some dogs running of lead in the park and she kind of froze wouldn't stop staring at them, I couldn't get her attention and she didn't want to come away. She's been very good with most dogs she's met on lead, so I think it must be when they are running free but I didn't understand if she is frightened or excited or feeling predatory?!

I've been feeling a bit like she is a pheasant and going to keel over any minute with bloat or something else awful, but I guess she isn't made of glass :lol: 

3 hours ago, torster said:

One thing this morning when we were out walking, there were some dogs running of lead in the park and she kind of froze wouldn't stop staring at them, I couldn't get her attention and she didn't want to come away. She's been very good with most dogs she's met on lead, so I think it must be when they are running free but I didn't understand if she is frightened or excited or feeling predatory?!

She's just interested in fast moving things. She'll get used to them. Stay calm and relaxed and don't anticipate problems otherwise she'll pick up that something could be wrong. Keep walking with a slack lead but if she freezes give it a quick tug and give the command "Let's go"

Guessing from the pheasant reference you're in the UK?

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

4 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

She's just interested in fast moving things. She'll get used to them. Stay calm and relaxed and don't anticipate problems otherwise she'll pick up that something could be wrong. Keep walking with a slack lead but if she freezes give it a quick tug and give the command "Let's go"

Guessing from the pheasant reference you're in the UK?

Thank you that makes sense, I will do that tomorrow! Ha ha yes I'm in UK, where pheasants run across a field to jump infront of your car.. . 😂

First, when my girl, Tess, rolls over on her back (cockroaches) she is wanting "tumtum rubs" more commonly know as tummy rubs.  If she doesn't get them she sort of huffs about stupid humans and stands up.

Your girl may not realize that those lovely new beds are actually beds for her.  You might try putting a treat or two on the bed so she has to stand on it.  Then she may or may not realize that it is soft and comfy.  If that fails, I have led them to the bed and physically lifted their front legs and put them on the bed.  If neither works, be patient.  She knows she is allowed on it and someday a lightbulb will go off in her brain and she will realize it is a bed.

Speaking of beds, I would not allow her to sleep with you on your bed at this time.  She has never slept with anyone and may be startled and bite you if you move during the night.  I'd just give her a bed on the floor beside your own bed.  Later you can invite her up on your bed.

Warning:  My sweet Henry loved sleeping with me on my bed and I loved having him there.  But one night he rolled over and fell into the crack between the bed and the wall.  He was upside down and could not get out.  It took sleepy me a couple of minutes to realize why he was screaming and how to move the bed and get him out. He was absolutely terrified and it took several days before he would go near my bedroom.  He never slept on my bed again. Just a warning of something to be prepared for.

Edited by Scoutsmom
proofing

8 hours ago, Scoutsmom said:

First, when my girl, Tess, rolls over on her back (cockroaches) she is wanting "tumtum rubs" more commonly know as tummy rubs.  If she doesn't get them she sort of huffs about stupid humans and stands up.

Your girl may not realize that those lovely new beds are actually beds for her.  You might try putting a treat or two on the bed so she has to stand on it.  Then she may or may not realize that it is soft and comfy.  If that fails, I have led them to the bed and physically lifted their front legs and put them on the bed.  If neither works, be patient.  She knows she is allowed on it and someday a lightbulb will go off in her brain and she will realize it is a bed.

Speaking of beds, I would not allow her to sleep with you on your bed at this time.  She has never slept with anyone and may be startled and bite you if you move during the night.  I'd just give her a bed on the floor beside your own bed.  Later you can invite her up on your bed.

Warning:  My sweet Henry loved sleeping with me on my bed and I loved having him there.  But one night he rolled over and fell into the crack between the bed and the wall.  He was upside down and could not get out.  It took sleepy me a couple of minutes to realize why he was screaming and how to move the bed and get him out. He was absolutely terrified and it took several days before he would go near my bedroom.  He never slept on my bed again. Just a warning of something to be prepared for.

Thanks for this is super helpful, and she does more things everyday I don't understand! Last night I think she was maybe giving me the smile, Tounge dangles out too haha. 

I actually think that is what she wants too, she has been doing it at home now and I think it in a playful way... she did kind of roll and put her teeth round my ankle this morning, I think just to get attention?! It's all so confusing as it seems when I read about behaviours that they all can either mean the dog is happy, or that it's upset and anxious! 

I think your right about the beds to, I put the big cushion one on the sofa where she had been lying, and after a while she id get on it... I will carry on with the other ones!

I was actually worried about having her on the bed, but she didn't want to settle anywhere else....luckily she has shown no sight of sleep aggression, only wanting to get as close to me as possible, and push her face up right next to mine and take up all the room :) that said obviously I don't know her well yet so it's a bit of a worry.... I'd be happy if she did sleep on the floor on her bed, I can maybe try again with her cushion I put on the sofa now she knows what it is...but otherwise I'm not sure how to do it! She just seems to want to sit right next to me if it's possible.

Poor Henry that's so sad! If she falls off the bed she will just be on the floor so I suppose it's a bit better.

My new grey (had him 2 months) doesn't like peeing or pooping in our garden unless it's dark (in which case he understands that it's his pre-bedtime garden routine).  The rest of the day he won't do anything in the garden, he will only pee and poop on a proper walk away from the house.  As a result we walk him twice a day, sometimes with a short one at lunchtime if possible.