Simparica Trio

Has anyone used Simparica Trio for active hookworms, specifically dogs with larval leaK?  It contains moxidectin, which is the primary ingredient in Advantage Multi, Coraxis and Heartgaurd Plus.  Just wondering if this treatment is actually able to do successful battle with the endemic hooks that so many newly adopted dogs are struggling with.  Im thinking of the dogs who continue to test positive for hooks month after month, even with multiple deworming.  Here is a study paper, which sounds promising, but I am not a scientist or vet, so can't really glean if this will be effective with larval leak.  I'd love to hear from those who have had good (or not so good) outcomes with Simparica Trio.

https://parasitesandvectors.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13071-020-3951-4

Not sure about this particular product though we've used the single Simparica with no issues.  But I do have all mine on the ProHeart 6 injection which has moxidectrin as well.  Our vet began using it as an alternative (off label) use for hook infections about a year ago, after it was reintroduced to the market.  She called the company and spoke with their product testing folks and they said it should work as a good alternative to monthly/bi-weekly treatments for parasites.  I've since noticed the ads for ProHeart6 now say they will treat heartworm, fleas/ticks, AND parasites.

I have one super sensitive girl who can't take oral or topical heartworm treatments, so this was a godsend for her.  She's actually going on her third shot in a few weeks and has had zero trouble with it.  Another of mine had hooks pretty heavily and we treated her with "the protocol" for two months before getting a negative test.  We put her on Proheart6 then and she has been hook-free since January.  With such good results, I ended up putting my third dog on it as well.

I have zero worries about reinfection - which is a thing since once you have hooks in your yard, you pretty much always have them.  The long term release of medication into the bloodstream provides round-the-clock protection and I don't have to worry about timing doses with the life cycle of hooks, larval leak, reinfection, or any of the other issues that go along with having hooks.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm following with interest. Have a hookworm positive boy and have been advised about the Drontal Plus/Advantage Multi combination. 

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

15 hours ago, sarabz said:

I'm following with interest. Have a hookworm positive boy and have been advised about the Drontal Plus/Advantage Multi combination. 

This is the protocol we have had Bette on for 6 months and she is still hook positive, though asymptomatic.  I am at least glad that she does not have bloody diarrhea, which some of our hook positive fosters have presented with.  I am going to do some more research on Simparica Trio, and talk to my vet about this vs. the Proheart Injection.  We have to go in a different direction, given that so far, the Dr. Ng protocol has not worked for her.

We're using it along with Drontal Plus/Advantage Multi that Dr. Ng recommended based on the University of GA, based on their research on resistant hookworms in dogs from the FL tracks (Petey showed up positive). Not sure how long we're going to keep him on it before we test. For anyone starting, it took a couple of months to stop with the bloody, really loose stool. Has this actually worked (not just managed) for anyone's dog? How long did you keep up the full regime?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

My understanding is that the simparica trio doesn't have the same level of moxidectrin as Advantage Multi and isn't effective (or as effective, I am not sure) on hooks.  We have a hook positive boy and I have been giving him coraxis on day 1, DrontalPlus on day 15, coraxis two weeks later, followed by 5 days of safeguard with nemex added on day 5.  Then, coraxis 2 weeks after the start of the safeguard (so a new med starts every two weeks).  We have been really lucky and have gotten our first negative, but he shed larvae the next day after treatment.  His stool has actually been on the drier side, so I consider this protocol to be  working for us, thankfully.  But, the disclaimer is that he is just a tyke (2.5 YO) and wasn't at the track very long before being sent home.  I am assuming his exposure was more limited and he underwent treatment pretty quickly and the larvae didn't bury as badly as with some others.  

Please let us know what else you find out.  I loathe hooks and how it makes them feel.  Zeke has stopped biting at his sides, too, so I am taking that as another sign things are working for us. 

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

14 hours ago, dante2zoe said:

Zeke has stopped biting at his sides, too, so I am taking that as another sign things are working for us. 

So is that what all that biting at her side is all about?  Hooks????  Bette will do this occasionally and I check her for fleas (although she is on flea prevention).  I have wondered what she seemed to be so bothered by.  Is it bc the internal sensation caused by the hooks is creating a referred itchiness?  So weird.

Not itching - it feels like a little buzzy pain inside, so he's biting it to make it stop.  Which it won't, of course.  Though dogs can also have a sort of intolerance to something the hooks secrete into the bloodstream.  I think.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2020 at 7:44 AM, dante2zoe said:

My understanding is that the simparica trio doesn't have the same level of moxidectrin as Advantage Multi and isn't effective (or as effective, I am not sure) on hooks.  We have a hook positive boy and I have been giving him coraxis on day 1, DrontalPlus on day 15, coraxis two weeks later, followed by 5 days of safeguard with nemex added on day 5.  Then, coraxis 2 weeks after the start of the safeguard (so a new med starts every two weeks).  We have been really lucky and have gotten our first negative, but he shed larvae the next day after treatment.  His stool has actually been on the drier side, so I consider this protocol to be  working for us, thankfully.  But, the disclaimer is that he is just a tyke (2.5 YO) and wasn't at the track very long before being sent home.  I am assuming his exposure was more limited and he underwent treatment pretty quickly and the larvae didn't bury as badly as with some others.  

Please let us know what else you find out.  I loathe hooks and how it makes them feel.  Zeke has stopped biting at his sides, too, so I am taking that as another sign things are working for us. 

Here is the moxidection dosing info for Simparica: 0.96 mg per tablet

For Advantage Multi, it is 100 mg per dose tube

This seems pretty similar to me, but since Simpirica is oral and AM is topical, maybe the actual amount of moxidectin that is continually in the system is different?  I have an appointment with my vet and plan to talk to her about this next week.

Also, I looked for Coraxis online over the weekend, in case we end up just continuing on with that route (we have Bette on the same protocol as your boy), and it appears Bayer discontinued production of Coraxis, which SUCKS!!!!  I DO NOT want to use AM.  It stinks much worse that Coraxis, and is more oily, taking much longer too dry.  Plus, I like Simpirica for fleas and ticks, but this would be overkill if we have to use AM.  

I am REALLY HOPING to get some positive feedback from my vet on Simparica Trio for our hook positive girls.  I am not completely averse to Proheart 6, but my preference would be to dose with a pill.  If there are adverse effects, it's just one pill, vs. an adverse effect from a shot, which can't be undone.