Osteo breakthrough?

Sounds very encouraging.

See Section 8:

https://www.coutovetconsultants.com/frequently-asked-questions/

So many people, when they think of chemo, think about the reactions family and friends have had when they were administered chemo.

While some dogs might have some reactions, a large majority of Greyhounds tolerate it just fine.  Possibly some stomach upset, easily controlled practically immediately with the use of Cerenia, an anti-nausea drug.

:hope :candle

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

That is wonderful news, hope we hear more successful outcomes from this therapy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

On 6/23/2020 at 4:33 AM, MP_the4pack said:

This sounds like a study that was going on when Bowie was diagnosed with osteo. Unfortunately, I didn't know about it at the time of her amputation. When I found out about it I called  to ask how much of the tumor they needed in order to be able to make the vaccine. I got a hold of the lab that had done the pathology on Bowie's tumor and they had already discarded the tumor sample. So if anyone has a dog with osteo and they are interested in participating in immunotherapy with their dog's own tumor as a mechanism for the vaccine please make sure you save a large enough sample of the tumor material in order for them to make the vaccine.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this.  Managed to get our recently OAS diagnosed girl in their current round of the study.  Still waiting to hear if we'll be on the elias or chemo control group but regardless its helpful to know we'll be contributing to advancing this technology.
We had tried to get into another study but were rejected due to it being too close to the knee.  We only learned about the Elias vaccine through this post since it didn't come up on the AVMA study search

Edited by ryan92084

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, ryan92084 said:

As a followup I unfortunately won't be able to give any further insight into the Elias trial or treatment.  Everything that could go awry with the surgery has done so and after giving it 2 weeks our girl Margot will not be making it home.

I'm so sorry :( we just lost our Zeke last Monday to this awful disease -- his wrist just snapped when he went to go up the stairs.....we had no idea he even had it.  Sending hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway