Soft E-Collar Recommendations Please

Our Biggie Iggy Jake, has a non-malignant fatty tumor that needs to be removed. It's located close to his arm pit so he's going to need some type of e-collar for a bit.

Since I have a little time to plan ahead, I'd prefer to buy a soft e-collar for him. Most of the collars sold in local pet stores are the inflatable type and seem to be rather heavy.

Do any of you have a favorite soft e-collar favorites? There are so many listed online that I'm having a hard time choosing.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Do you mean a 'cone of shame' type collar, or a training collar? Googling e-collar hits both.

I'm going to assume you mean cone - I've actually heard of more people having an easier time with putting a shirt/pants/some kind of clothing on the dog, to loosely (and safely) cover the area of injury. That way the dog isn't also impeded by the cone, and can pretty much live life as normal, just without the ability to lick or get at that area.

There are lots of different alternatives to keep dogs from wounds. What you use is going to depend in part on how determined your dog is and what, if any, supervision he will have.

For many wounds a greyhound does just fine wearing his basket muzzle with duct tape or a stool guard covering the front holes. I don't like to use it with staples as they can sometimes get caught, but it's great for stitches.

I have also used the clothing covering - toddler pants and shirts - but not if the dog will be unsupervised. Many dogs will push aside, or chew holes in cloth to get at a wound.

There's a commercial collar that blows up that many people have success with. And many home made versions on YouTube using bath towels and cardboard.

There's also a relatively new one which is shaped like a normal Elizabethan collar, but it's soft and drapes down over the dog like a cloak. This one might work well for you depending on how flexible your boy is.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for the suggestions. The bite-not collar might work out. At least the straps go behind his front legs so they shouldn't get in the way of the stitches. My husband and I are both retired so there is usually someone at home all the time. In true hound fashion, Jake is usually sacked out on a couch unless there is something interesting going on around the house.

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy