How To Clean/disenfect Bloody Diarrhea With Hookworm?

Zoesmom

Hello,

Im new and need help! Long story short, we rescued a GSD end of Nov. and Zoe was having multiple issues which we took to our vet numerous times. Ended up she has hookworms. Our vet ( that I fired) never tested for parasites/ hookworm. My friend just rescued a Greyhound and was dealing with hookworms and has been very helpful which is why I am in a Greyhound forum. It took us 7 weeks to get to this diagnose and she is bad now, As of Sunday she has full bloody liquid diarrhea. We just got her home from emergency care and I am reading up all I can about preventing reinfection. I always clean u her poo immediately but what do I do with liquid bloody diarrhea? Should I spray with bleach/ water? There is no way to pick it up. I have D.E. That I can pour on it...any thoughts? Im so worried about her. Up until Sunday she wasnt bad...stools firm and some blood I. It , but now its just pouring blood! I am so. MAd at the vet for doing full blood work up and no parasite testing...his next step was to do Ultra sound which was normal....we were going to get a scope done...3x in emergency when blood was bad and thought it was HGE. First ER visit fecal float was negative, second trip they didnt do any testing, 3rd trip we got the positive 1+. Sorry for my rant, but my immediate question is how to clean up this I fected hookworm bloody diarrhea?

Thank you so much!

Dana

PS. I think I will be going to the Greyhound Savvy vet listed on this site for her treatment...I think its best to go to a doctor familiar with treating these stubborn worms!

For cement or solid surfaces, diluted bleach will work to clean the area.

For soil/yard treatment, I have been looking at a product to spray the yard with using a garden hose sprayer called Wondercide Yard Pest COntrol. It;s a natural product that claims to kill the hookworm eggs in the soil. - Product link - https://www.wondercide.com/outdoor-natural-pest-control-concentrate-kills-repels-100s-of-pests-ecotreat

I found this info in their blog regarding hookworm treatment for soil - https://blog.wondercide.com/hookworms/

We recently adopted a hookworm positive greyhound so I have been looking for something to treat our yard and artificial grass areas. I have not tried this product yet and have no affiliation with the company, so have no first hand knowledge of it other than the reviews on the site and the info from their blog while doing my own research. They do have a dealer list on the site and you can buy from Amazon as well.

I usually spray down any residue from diarrhea with the hose immediately. As stools get back to normal, bag the poop and tie them shut. I keep a small 6 gallon trash can outside (you could also use a bucket) and keep the poop bags in there until trash night.

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Excellent advice above.

Until Zoe's stool returns to normal, you may be able to follow her with a heavy duty paper plate to catch at least some of the poop before it hits the ground. (BTDT)

Good luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Excellent advice above.

Until Zoe's stool returns to normal, you may be able to follow her with a heavy duty paper plate to catch at least some of the poop before it hits the ground. (BTDT)

Good luck!

Or a folded newspaper works well too. Just slide it under your girl when she squats and then bag the newspaper.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The paper plate or a piece of cardboard box can usually work to keep it from getting on the ground and is sturdy enough to handle.

OIf the vet has not already suggested, get probiotics - it helps. Also change to a bland diet like hamburger (90%) and rice and add some cooked oatmeal for fiber. It helps to ease the GI tract.

I had read somewhere online that dumping some 20 Mule Team (borax) onto the residue left in the yard would help eradicate the bugs from the pile places. We did that when we were babysitting a pup with hooks and pretty bad poops. Hard to know if it works, since you can't really test the soil, but fingers crossed. And, if you are somewhere it's currently below freezing, that should help a lot keeping them from thriving in the soil.

FWIW, unless your German Shepherd was around a bunch of infected greyhounds, or in a shelter somewhere greyhound-hookworms are rampant (Florida), she may not have the same type of hooks that greys have. By all means go to whatever vet you are comfortable with, but it's become pretty evident to the greyhound rescue orgs in the trenches that these hooks aren't the same as the hooks the average other dog contracts. Yours may be a regular variety (albeit a bad infestation), and could very well be treatable by normal methods. The methods greyhound owners are having to use to get rid of hooks are pretty intense; if your non-grey can avoid that it would be preferable.

You should read through the "Hookworm" thread here for treatment protocols and discussion.

We use Borax on the ground after clean up. You can also spread it around larger areas, though you must keep the dog off where you spread it until it's worked itself into the soil.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thank You everyone...wasnt sure how to reply to each answer. So see below. I really appreciate it!

Time4anapI did read about wonderlcide, but Florida Agriculture site said no commercial product will get rid of hooks, so I do question it. They talked about a salt brine, diluted bleach, sun, and cant remember the 4th. I have read that diluted bleach in water wont kill grass...supposedly you can go up to 14oz per gallon.

Houndtime and Five rooooers- Thanks! I can give it a try! She usually gets going in all different directions before finding her spot.

Mary Jane - Ive had her on probiotics and slippery elm since we got her the end of Nov. I feed Honest Kitchen which is real food that you hydrate and adding the 90% hamburger already...may try oatmeal for softer stomach.

Bizeebee - I was thinking (hoping) that same idea with my friend that just rescued her first Greyhound....she didnt think so...but I can hope! I like your lthinking!

Greysmom- I have read all over this forum and googled, but only got treatment as if its solid poo....could t find anything regarding g diarrhea. We are taking out front to potty until we come up with a plan of attack and clear the back yard. Supposedly the sun will kill them also..or at least the top of it. Well cut out patches and lay sod down if we have to! I do not want these back!

Hi Zoesmom. We are in a similar boat and I am following this thread. I would love to know definitively if sprinkling Diatomaceous Earth on the "cleaned" spots will kill off any hooks left behind. I posted a similar thread yesterday and was told that sprinkling borax will not permanently kill the grass. That was encouraging. For those that have been around awhile, dealing with hooks seems like just another day on the farm. For us newbies (and maybe I should only speak for myself), overcoming a hookworm infestation can seem daunting and overwhelming, when factoring in yards and bedding and licking and what not. FWIW, my vet said that hooks are prevalent in the soil in the south, so it is impossible to get rid of them entirely. Her advice is to pick up poop pronto. I'll be going the extra mile by sprinkling DE or borax or maybe a bleach mixture if that is also safe for the grass.

• 1 year later...

We have a foster boy who is hook positive and developed acute HGE within 48 hours of arriving.  He got so sick so fast that he has spent the past 2 nights at the ER vet.  Hope to pick him up today.  When the diarrhea got bad, we just followed behind him with a Kroger plastic bag and caught the mess.  Tied it up and threw it in the outdoor bin.  Worked like a charm.