4 Year Old Sickly Grey

I've had my grey for 1 year. He came home with diarrhea and vomiting, but it went away after he was comfortable in his new home.

He started showing mild signs of aggression, like aggressively barking at us, and waking up at 1am,3am,5am to go outside.

He was tested for a Liver shunt, and the results came back negative.

He takes pancrenzymes every meal, without them, he will have diarrhea

He passes horrible gas, but it doesn't phase him

He will throw up food or water, even hours after eating and using the restroom

Just seeking any advice or if your grey has anything similar to this

We have been to the vet and a trainer multiple times

He gets plenty of love and attention, even sleeps in the bed with us.

Thanks in advance!

First the basics - check for worms and parasites. Then re-check, then check again. Dogs coming off the track for the last year or two have had worms with increasing resistance to treatment. Just about every dog coming off of every track tests positive, often for hookworm. A negative fecal means only that sample tested was negative, not that the dog is negative. It can take several tests before you get a positive result, so one test is not sufficient. I would first be sure that worms and parasites have been completely ruled out before looking for other things.

The symptoms you posted can all be signs of worms or parasites.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Agreed. It's likely by this time the hooks (if he has them) have impacted the lining of his gut, causing his issues.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just want to second the above wise advice! GT's are so knowledgeable and willing to share. I love this forum. And I hope you get to the bottom of your boys issue and he gets well quick! Most of the answers to issues I have had with my hounds came from the experienced and kind GT's that so kindly shared their experience here on this froum. It was really a waste of time to even go to a vet until I had researched it and could then tell the vet what he needed to do. A lot of vets just don't know that much about greyhounds to begin with.

Edited by racindog

This is a hookworm treatment protocol that seems to be working. Many folks are having to continue it for 6 months to a year to be truly clear of hookworms, despite negative fecals.

http://prisongreyhounds.org/Hookworm%207-2018.pdf

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

And don't even bother with a normal fecal float test for hookwooms. Get the antigen test.

I didn't know there was an antigen test - is that new? Widely available?

We're one dose from finished with the Prison Protocol and it'd be great to have a more reliable test than fecal float.

I've had my grey for 1 year. He came home with diarrhea and vomiting, but it went away after he was comfortable in his new home.

He started showing mild signs of aggression, like aggressively barking at us, and waking up at 1am,3am,5am to go outside.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely could be hookworm, and you should definitely exhaust testing/treatment on that front.

However, I'm wondering why he's taking pancreatic enzymes? Was that a recommendation from your vet?

Was he diagnosed with EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency)? I know porcine pancreas is often recommended for treatment of EPI.

If he wasn't diagnosed but the enzymes are helping then you might go down that testing road as well with your vet. It's definitely more of a "zebra" but the symptoms do also line up with it.

I didn't know there was an antigen test - is that new? Widely available?

We're one dose from finished with the Prison Protocol and it'd be great to have a more reliable test than fecal float.

It's much more reliable, since it detects eggs that are often lying dormant in muscle tissue. Fecal floats are known to be notorious for giving false negatives.

Not all vets are familiar with this problem specific with many greys. I had to educate my own vet. He did the research, and is now on board.

Edited by Zoomdoggie

I am not sure if he has been dewormed. Weve done fecal floats as well with negative results.

Thanks for all the advice I will definitely look into this.

He was on the enzymes because it was a last resort. We didnt know what else to try or do but they seem to help a lot.

Thanks again for all the help. Makes me feel a lot better!

I echo all of the comments above - check for Hookworm and any other parasites. The best fecal test to run is called an Intestinal Parasite Exam Antigen. I also recommend doing the + Ova test with the fecal exam to check for anything else such as Giardiasis (giardia). Any of these things could cause the frequent bathroom runs, vomiting, lethargy, etc. Best of luck!!

OWNER OF "KEEPER INTREPID" & "WIND AS WITNESS"

Thanks in advance!

What all has the vet tested for and done?