Neck/shoulder Pain - Hopping & Limping

Guest lwynne

Hi All,

About 2 weeks ago my greyhound, Shane, came into the kitchen to most likely get a treat. He was hopping on 3 legs, right front held up. I do have a big yard that they run around in, but there was no sign of injury from their playtime the night before. Since then, whenever he gets up, he hops for about 5 minutes. After about 5 or 10 minutes the discomfort seems to work itself out and then he walks fine. No sign of the telltale head bob when walking either.

He was on previcox for 2 weeks and gabapentin for 7 days of those 2 weeks. The vet thought the pain was in either the right shoulder or neck when she did the range of motion tests on all his limbs. He has also had xrays done of the neck and shoulder, which showed nothing, and the tick borne disease screening came up negative. Right now he is not on pain meds because I need to switch to something else and my vet suggested 1 week in between any NSAIDs.

He has a consult with a PT this weekend. I'm having trouble getting an appointment with a orthopedist because they don't typically do nights or weekends, but trying to find someone. I have not done an MRI yet, waiting for the PT evaluation.

I am a wreck (hence the 3 am post) seeing him in obvious discomfort and pain for so long and not being able to figure out what's going on or help him much. I am posting here to see if anyone else has experienced this sort of on/off lameness in their hound. Would a muscle relaxant help? Any suggestions on a pain med - maybe a non-NSAID?

Thank you!

Edited by lwynne

Sounds like blockade or strained neck muscles. A visit to a physiotherapy or a chiropractor might help you.

If you are into homeopathy rhus tox is your remedy. Typical for this remedy is pain that lessens after a short time when moving.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Sounds like blockade or strained neck muscles. A visit to a physiotherapy or a chiropractor might help you.

If you are into homeopathy rhus tox is your remedy. Typical for this remedy is pain that lessens after a short time when moving.

Thank you! If it is a neck strain, hopefully the physical therapy will help.

Chiropractic/acupuncture/cold laser may help.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

just curious were there any x-rays?

when annie had a shoulder injury it was 6 weeks of crate rest, Medicam, tramadol, gabapentin. then a long slow drawn out rehab of increased walking after the 6 weeks. but we did X-rays to ultimately confirm that it was not osteo.

if there a good ortho person in your area that you can go to for a second opinion?

Sorry you are going through this - it causes all sorts of worry indeed. It could be a lot of things and hopefully nothing that can't be fixed. My grey went through what it sounds like yours is, she is a great runner at top speed in the yard. Then one time she came in, laid down, and when she got up to walk would not put her front leg down. After a while, she worked it out and used all four legs but this would happen each time she first got up.

I did take her in for xrays, etc and it turned out to be a badly bruised toe that was causing her the pain. She was on leash walk only and no zoomies in the yard. She got better, then months later did the exact same thing from zooming in the yard. Of course I panicked again and took her in for xrays etc. same result - badly bruised toe.

She is fine now. We have recently moved and have no fenced yard so she has to leash walk all the time. No toe problems anymore.

I am just offering what I experienced, but continue to have everything checked out (which I know you will) just to be sure. Good luck!

Yes. Have your vet check her feet/toes really well. Could be an on-and-off dislocation, or a bruise somewhere, or maybe she stepped on a rock or other sharp object. If you have a padded boot I would try that as well, probably on both front feet. If it's something like this an actual pain reliever might help more than an nsaid. Tramadol if he responds to that, or codiene sulfate, or whatever works best for your boy.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Were the rads send to a radiologist for interpretation? Front leg lamenes can stem from the cervical area and truly only an mri can really diagnose that. Does your dog cry out when rising from a lateral position? You should also look very closely at the bottom of the pads-a corn needs to be ruled out before looking for something more sinister.

Edited to add-I would absolutely hold off on PT or chiro until you have a definitive diagnosis.

Edited by tbhounds

when annie had a shoulder injury it was 6 weeks of crate rest, Medicam, tramadol, gabapentin. then a long slow drawn out rehab of increased walking after the 6 weeks. but we did X-rays to ultimately confirm that it was not osteo.

if there a good ortho person in your area that you can go to for a second opinion?

Light walking seems to loosen him up and help the mobility of the leg, so I would not want to put him on crate rest unless the vet says no moving. The X-rays did not show anything. I'm trying to find an ortho that can do nights or weekend appointments.

Were the rads send to a radiologist for interpretation? Front leg lamenes can stem from the cervical area and truly only an mri can really diagnose that. Does your dog cry out when rising from a lateral position? You should also look very closely at the bottom of the pads-a corn needs to be ruled out before looking for something more sinister.

Edited to add-I would absolutely hold off on PT or chiro until you have a definitive diagnosis.

Aside from needing a few minutes before he puts weight on the foot after he gets up, there are no other obvious signs of discomfort. He is alert, moves his head and neck to look at things, and really wants to play. I have to keep him on a short leash.

Aside from needing a few minutes before he puts weight on the foot after he gets up, there are no other obvious signs of discomfort. He is alert, moves his head and neck to look at things, and really wants to play. I have to keep him on a short leash.

Doesn’t sound like a neck problem. Have those rads re-evaluated by a radiologist.