Random Peeing/ Vomiting

Over the last month, Ruby has peed inside the house. Once while laying on her bed, twice on the only rug in the house (of course). We took her after she peed on her bed and had a UA checked, it was clear. Her labs all looked good, except for a slight elevation in her Creatinine. Not new for her. She peed today while I was nearby. She didn't go near the door or whine.

She just turned 11 on Friday, and ever since we got her, she has peed first thing in the morning, around 2 PM, at 6 PM and at bedtime. Usually she won't even pee on a walk. Today after her dinner, she tanked up on a ton of water and then vomited all of her food up. I think it was because she drank so much so quickly, and the water was ice cold. It is 99 degrees here today, but she is in the house all day with AC.

The rug is going to go when my husband gets home. Absolutely nothing new in our world. Nothing. No change in food, activity, playing, her walks, etc...... She was also checked for worms, and it was negative. Pooping has been normal. She does seem to have some confusion the last 6 months or so. She sometimes will stand and stare at you until you repeat "go potty" or "eat".

Does anyone have any idea as to what the urination in the house might be from, or what to do for her ?

Karen

Could be the beginning of incontinence, but I'd lean more towards the beginnings of doggie dementia. At her age, it could be either. If it's dementia, she might not realize she needs to pee until it's an emergency, and then she has no choice but to just go because she can't hold it long enough to ask to go outside. Can you offer her more chances to potty throughout the day without her having to ask? Also, maybe take away her water bowl until her food has had a chance to digest, or lessen the amount of water in the bowl so that she can't tank.

With age comes change, whether anything in the environment changes or not.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I agree with Roo. She probably has no idea she's doing it until it's happening. Especially if you were right beside her.... Now it's just a matter of taking her out more regularly to avoid it.....do belly bands work for girls?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Was it just a urinalysis or a urine culture, if it was just a urinalysis, then get a culture on the urine.

She may need something like DES for incontinence (make sure DES and not Proin which can cause sudden death in greyhounds from elevated blood pressure).

You didn't mention whether she is drinking more and if yes, then you need to check the urine's specific gravity in the first AM specimen along with the kidney values. If she is on a high protein dog food, you might want to try a dog food with a less % of protein. The reason is that as a animals/people age, sometimes the body has trouble processing protein and what happens is that the fluid intake increases to allow elimination of protein waste products through the urine. With the increased water intake, they need to urinate more.

I agree with Roo. She probably has no idea she's doing it until it's happening. Especially if you were right beside her.... Now it's just a matter of taking her out more regularly to avoid it.....do belly bands work for girls?

I diapered Terrier Daisy for her incontinence - I suppose the same could be done for a doggy with dementia!

Incurin worked well for Daisy for her incontinence, so if that's the problem, it might be worth trying that.

I sell things on Etsy!

Would I use something like DES if it is just a issue every week or so ?

I am sure she has doggie dementia. The vet told us over a year ago he was sure she had it. She is on a lower protein food because of her kidney issue.

She had a culture done when the UA was done. All clear.

I have been taking her out more, but she gets so angry and tries to run to her crate, as she hates going out lately unless there is a meal waiting. Today she hasn't eaten a thing, so she has not eaten and kept anything (except treats) down since Saturday evening. BUT......she only threw up yesterday, and is is very normal for her to skip meals. She has always done this. I called the vet and he said he doesn't feel another UA is in order, and just to watch her. He always reminds me she is getting "up there in years".

Karen

Sorry, but not eating and repeated vomiting isnt just "getting old". I would repeat bloodwork and get a UPC ratio as well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Sorry, but not eating and repeated vomiting isnt just "getting old". I would repeat bloodwork and get a UPC ratio as well.

She just vomited once, after drinking a TON of water right after her dinner. We did labs work last week, so not sure what we would repeat ? She ate her dinner tonight with no issues.

Karen

Our 12 year old, GH, Tosca, is also now of the age that when she needs to go she needs to go NOW. She's good about letting us know and we get her outside right away. But there have been accidents and we just get out the carpet cleaner and clean it up. She's also got me up a couple of times in the middle of the night in the last 2 months to pee. She also has little "urps", not really vomiting, but she'll spit up water if she's just had some, or some spit.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

the vomiting might be associated w/ kidney disfunction. that was one of the first things i was asked when felix's Crit and BUN came back w/ high readings. is she taking pecid ac?? that will help settle her stomach if it's the acid from poor kidney function. felix is on an anti-nausea and pecid ac, it's the only way he will eat and he hasn't puked up a load of water since. 20mg/2xs daily- pecid ac(generic is super cheap)

Our 12 year old, GH, Tosca, is also now of the age that when she needs to go she needs to go NOW. She's good about letting us know and we get her outside right away. But there have been accidents and we just get out the carpet cleaner and clean it up. She's also got me up a couple of times in the middle of the night in the last 2 months to pee. She also has little "urps", not really vomiting, but she'll spit up water if she's just had some, or some spit.

Daisy had those little urps too - she'd regurgitate a little food. Not often, maybe once or twice a week, but she'd eat, then drink, then urp. I tried pepcid and, weirdly, it made her sicker. But that was Daisy - if something was supposed to help, it usually did the opposite :rolleyes:

I sell things on Etsy!

As my first Grey, Wendy, aged she too would 'urp' a small amount after meals if she drank water immediately after eating. I restricted her water for 1/2 hour after meals. Poor girl...getting old sucks! Maybe it's time for pee-pee pads since she's not enjoying going out to potty? Or doggie diapers? I think I've seen them on GT called 'bad girl panties'.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".