Wound On Knee

I'm at a loss. I'm a nurse but cannot get any dressings to stay on his knee. I even tried kerlix around abdomen then down leg. It all falls off. I have gone through a lot of coban! The wound will finally start crusting over then he licks it open. What if I do liquid bandage if I can catch it in the crusted over state? Help! It's half dollar sized, no flaps to suture.

Knee-high stocking or the leg of a sock maybe? Or he has to wear a cone or muzzle while it heals?

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Muzzle with a poop guard to prevent licking.

Or boy's pajama bottoms on backwards (so the fly lets his tail out)...or just feed his tail down the other leg of the pants.

If you want to leave the wound unbandaged but avoid having the wound stick to the pajama bottoms, you can stick a mini-pad to the pajamas in the proper location.

But muzzle with a guard, even if you do the PJs. He could lick through the fabric.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I put the PJs on him it's quite funny! Now he won't even eat a treat, he's so embarrassed. I'll also get new bactine, I read in another thread they don't like it but it's not toxic.

I put the PJs on him it's quite funny! Now he won't even eat a treat, he's so embarrassed. I'll also get new bactine, I read in another thread they don't like it but it's not toxic.

Oh I have had to deal with this, twice on two different greys. It's quite an interesting bandage procedure that requires figure 8's and bandaging right up to the tail and around the hips with zero guarantee of any of it staying on! The thing I find the worst about this is the dried blood on the fur, and that's what actually gets them to start licking, because it's pulling and tugging on the fur. Not sure if you are able to shave the fur off around the wound. If your hound is sedentary most of the time, that's really the only time I would leave some gauze on there and bandaging for it to heal, otherwise it might be best to just leave it open. If you have any colloidal silver, it really helps the healing time, or the Ouchless Bandaid liquid for flushing. Keep it clean, keep him from moving about a lot and you should see some crusting eventually. You should however help him flex it gently over the next week as well, you don't want this area to get stiff and develop any kind of scar tissue making it tough for mobility. I have often thought about liquid bandage but I think it's pretty difficult to use with fur so I never bought any. Scritches.

Edit: I happened to find this. While this is probably too tight to fit for a wound, it might be pretty handy? https://www.ortocanis.com/en/technical-helps-for-dogs/90-dog-knee-brace.html Maybe you can cut up a stretchy sweater?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thanks everyone. I put the PJs bottoms on and he was quite embarrassed but it did help. Within 3 hours the area had improved. Meanwhile, I bought the liquid bandage spray for dogs. The pants fall off rather easily even though they're a boys size 10 lol. Now he's locked off the liquid bandage so I will put the pants back on. Sigh.

Oh I have had to deal with this, twice on two different greys. It's quite an interesting bandage procedure that requires figure 8's and bandaging right up to the tail and around the hips with zero guarantee of any of it staying on! The thing I find the worst about this is the dried blood on the fur, and that's what actually gets them to start licking, because it's pulling and tugging on the fur. Not sure if you are able to shave the fur off around the wound. If your hound is sedentary most of the time, that's really the only time I would leave some gauze on there and bandaging for it to heal, otherwise it might be best to just leave it open. If you have any colloidal silver, it really helps the healing time, or the Ouchless Bandaid liquid for flushing. Keep it clean, keep him from moving about a lot and you should see some crusting eventually. You should however help him flex it gently over the next week as well, you don't want this area to get stiff and develop any kind of scar tissue making it tough for mobility. I have often thought about liquid bandage but I think it's pretty difficult to use with fur so I never bought any. Scritches.

Edit: I happened to find this. While this is probably too tight to fit for a wound, it might be pretty handy? https://www.ortocanis.com/en/technical-helps-for-dogs/90-dog-knee-brace.html Maybe you can cut up a stretchy sweater?

That brace is a good idea!! Hmmmm

Edited by mrsmcd7

Just a heads up re:muzzles if you have to go there. I had one hound that did more damage to a wound while muzzled than when he wasn't so you have to watch them pretty close initially. "poop" guard was irrelevant. He just rubbed muzzle against wound.

Edited by racindog

Tape.

Yes it sticks to the fur, but you'll only have to deal with removing it once. If he's super sensitive use paper tape, found in drug stores, it's a human medical supply. Or elasticon. Ask your vet for some.

yes, run the adhesive tape down the area the will be bandaged, then make a u-turn and up the area, reinforce the top and bottom w/ more adhesive tape . i would do that twice. i also would use a sock, cut the foot off and slide the sock up to the adhesive tape and see if it stays on. the sock has more give and the dog will be able to bend it's leg. i do think i tried this on one of the dogs. scissor teeth took it off even though i reinforced the adhesive. the bactine spray mentioned in another post adjacent to the wound will keep the licking at bay. it's almost a week, the wound should be closing up.

It's improving. I bought liquid bandage spray for dogs that has a bitter taste which has helped!!! It's getting smaller. He does occasionally reopen it but since it's getting smaller and is not infected I'm not as worried. Thanks everyone for your help! I love grey talk!