Inflammation In Back?

Came home the other evening to find Jeter yelping when he moved his head/neck to either side. He walked steadily, if slowly, and ate/peed/pooped ok. He could not settle down that night; kept walking around and coming up to me for petting. He did not want to lie down much, and when he did so, he yelped every time he tried to put his head down.

Vet the next day found limited range of motion to neck on both sides. Plus Jeter flinched when vet applied light pressure on lower thoracic spine. But thank goodness no other neurological symptoms. Vet is hopeful that 2 weeks of antiinflammatory and rest will resolve the suspected inflamed disc.

Vet gave him a shot of ostifen, (the NSAID carprofen, aka rimadyl) and also 2 weeks worth of oral ostifen plus 2 weeks of gabapentin. Recommendation was to keep Jeter quiet but not have to restrict motion too much. Sp I have been babygating him into one room during the day and putting him on a leash to go outside with him, more to keep an eye out for any adverse signs in urine or stool than to keep him from running around. We're on the 2nd full day of the drugs now, and so far the only yelp I've heard today is when he was attending to a matter of personal hygiene. Yesterday morning I heard him yelp when lifting his head up. Appetite remains good, and happily he is easy to fool cooperative about taking pills.

A friend said that an NSAID/gabapentin combo practically knocked out her dachshund when she was having disk trouble. Jeter just looks a little sleepy-eyed for about an hour after drug administration.

Good thoughts, experiences, and suggestions (especially about movement restriction) are welcome.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Relatively common condition in ghs. One thing you should do is switch to only use a harness.

You may want to ask your vet to start your hound on robaxin (muscle relaxer) and if not doing so already give the gabapentin three times a day (and yes they can become a bit wonky when starting gabapentin-the body will adjust however)

Second the vote for using a harness. And definitely ask about Robaxin. We've had similar-sounding issues here that resolved nicely using these approaches.

Feel better Jeter!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Harness and I don't give meds. on an empty tummy.

Anne sells a great harness.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Harness and meds-on-full-tummy already incorporated. Will the muscle relaxant make him more comfortable, or aid in healing, or both?

He acted too lively for my peace of mind today when excited about idea of treat and when he thought he was going out. I wasn't expecting this kind of improvement this quickly -- can he go for a gentle walk? Or a drive in the car? I have a sedan that he steps up into.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

great advice from all but they forgot that YOU NEED A GLASS OF WINE OR A BEER!!

ellen, could jeter have been in pain for a while? i recall you posting about couch snarls. it seems as if many of these greyhounds are really stoic when it comes to pain.

Edited by cleptogrey

:goodluck great advice from all but they forgot that YOU NEED A GLASS OF WINE OR A BEER!!

Not a drinker anymore, but I really could have used an upper to get through work on Thurs and Friday. I'm used to dogs who, when they're in pain, Vant to be Alone. Jeter wanted to stand in front of me and get stroked nonstop. I could feel him stop trembling just when I started to talk to him. So sweet, so heartbreaking, and so exhausting the next day.

could jeter have been in pain for a while? i recall you posting about couch snarls

I hadn't connected those dots but the timing could be right. We'll have to see as Jeter continues to get better :goodluck . He has the sunniest of dispositions, but living with Milo, whose motto is "What's mine is mine and what's yours I'll try to weasel you out of," would try the patience of St Francis.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Gabapentin is amazing. Haven't had much luck with methocarbomol (relaxant) but doesn't mean it wouldn't work for Jeter.

Harness is great. Daily activities fine, just try to avoid the jarring stuff like jumping down from a bed or couch or out of the car or down the last steps.

Disc issues are really tricky, you might find he gets more relief from gabapentin if he's not better in a few weeks with this new regimen. Is he limping when walking at all?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

No limping at all (knock on wood) and now he's exuberant, over-the-top with pent-up energy and good spirits.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg