Sleep In The Bed Or Not?

Guest FarqyArqy

Guest FarqyArqy

Hi guys,

Doing a foster to adopt and had recently posted about some separation anxiety issues, glad to announce there were some huge improvements over the last week and I almost have no concerns leaving her throughout the work day (been monitoring on camera and mostly sleeps all day).

On a similar note I wanted to ask about sleeping arrangements. For the first week I let her sleep in my bed and she loved it...sleeps like a rock through the night and I am the bad guy in the morning when I wake her up. While I am fine with this, I'd like to have her sleep in the living room if needed and be comfortable (no whining). I just want her to be ok if I am in another room. Some days she is ok, others if I close the bathroom door she will just stand outside it.

Should I establish a strict pattern and stick to it? Bed or living room (roam freely). Should I sleep in the living room with her a few nights to ease the transition? Should I just close my door and let her adjust?

All advice appreciated! Like I said this is more about wanting her to be ok separated from me.

Why do you want her to sleep in the living room? Dogs are social creatures. Asking them to sleep isolated all night is a lot to ask, esoecially of a dog who is left alone all day, and even more so if the dog has separation anxiety.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

She needs to build her confidence and trust level with you right now. Her being a Velcro dog may go away after she gets settled. Or maybe not. But she really needs to be with you at night, especially if you're gone all day.

Time and patience are your friends right now. Don't throw too many things at her all at once if she's having trouble with what's already in front of her. You don't have to do everything all at once.

And I'll be the first one to say it - I haven't gone to the bathroom by myself for decades!

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi guys,

Doing a foster to adopt and had recently posted about some separation anxiety issues, glad to announce there were some huge improvements over the last week and I almost have no concerns leaving her throughout the work day (been monitoring on camera and mostly sleeps all day).

On a similar note I wanted to ask about sleeping arrangements. For the first week I let her sleep in my bed and she loved it...sleeps like a rock through the night and I am the bad guy in the morning when I wake her up. While I am fine with this, I'd like to have her sleep in the living room if needed and be comfortable (no whining). I just want her to be ok if I am in another room. Some days she is ok, others if I close the bathroom door she will just stand outside it.

Should I establish a strict pattern and stick to it? Bed or living room (roam freely). Should I sleep in the living room with her a few nights to ease the transition? Should I just close my door and let her adjust?

All advice appreciated! Like I said this is more about wanting her to be ok separated from me. your room.

Dog bed in your room or crate with door open. Baby gate her in your room if need be, Do not banish her.

Chris - you.are not the first one to say it by a long shot. We've bantered bathroom alone for 15 or 20 years. :)

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/322733-personal-space/

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I close the bathroom door. As much as I love my guys we can't all fit inside and still move freely. But at night I just leave the doors open. Andy always sleeps in the living-room, Oaddy always sleeps in his dog bed next to mine or in the guest room and Saoirse changes her sleeping pattern every other day.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

My dogs sleep where they choose to. Floor, dog bed, living room, sofa, our bed, it is their choice. Of our 11 greyhounds, only 3 have chosen not to embrace the bed.

And they also like to make sure I am going potty according to their specifications. I consider it turnabout-fair play, since I watch them potty.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

All advice appreciated! Like I said this is more about wanting her to be ok separated from me.

Congratulations on your potential new family member! :)

I'd recommend she sleep on a warm, thickly padded dog bed (away from drafts) inside your bedroom. Some adoption groups encourage adopters to wait at least 6 months before sharing human furniture (bed or sofa) with newly adopted dogs. This is helpful for many reasons since dogs blossom and change as they settle into a new home. It also helps avoid unintentionally reinforcing hyper-attachment to their new sleeping human. Since dogs are social pack animals, sleeping in a different room is too far away for many dogs, especially if their humans are gone during the day.

opps, slept like a rock in your bed? from what i have experienced that the road of no return. do place a crate or comfy bed in your room, but be prepared for a night visitor. also when the cold weather comes- it's much warmer in YOUR bed!

don't stress your hound with other sleeping arrangements now that it has experienced the "good life" and seems secure. maybe when it's hot the cool floor or a lower dog bed might be reasonable ( :rofl )

When I adopted my first greyhound, I tried crating him at night and that went over like a lead balloon. He had been in foster care for 6 weeks, and I don't think they were keeping to a crating schedule. After the first night, he slept every night in my room, and in my bed with me. He was initially a bit anxious and barky when left alone, but it never went to full-blown separation anxiety. Having him sleep in my bed didn't exacerbate his anxiety at all, so I wouldn't worry about that. He was a velcro dog, too - had to be in the same room as me when I was home and stayed like that his whole life (though he didn't particularly like going into the bathroom as that is where Baths Happen and he didn't care for them :lol). Second greyhound has also always stayed in our bedroom. He was initially crated in the living room because he was trying to kill the cats. We eventually moved the crate to the bedroom and everyone got more sleep. After he was cat trained, he stayed sleeping in our room and on our bed (and he's not good with sharing space, unfortunately). Third greyhound will always choose to sleep on the couch in the living room. When he was crated during his home-life transition, his crate was in our bedroom. He never made a peep. Now he gets free rein. We have the bedroom door open so he can come in if he wants. He does sometimes in winter if he gets cold, but otherwise, he sleeps on the sofa. He loves to snuggle, but seems to view the bed as the other dog's domain :dunno

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest FarqyArqy

Thanks guys, great insight. The big thing is I just don't want to reinforce attachment issues. I have no problem giving free reign and I don't think the attachment is too bad....like I said is doing well at home while I work. I just want the dog to be OK if I am in another room. I'll maybe give a dog bed in my bedroom a go but if not she can stay in bed.

Dog bed in your room or crate with door open. Baby gate her in your room if need be, Do not banish her.

Chris - you.are not the first one to say it by a long shot. We've bantered bathroom alone for 15 or 20 years. :)

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/322733-personal-space/

I meant the first to say it in *this* thread! ;)

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

some dogs are under your feet no matter what, some like to be in earshot, some don't give a hoot. every dog has a different temperament. sleeping with you is fine as long as you remember to bang out the bed :hehe:hehe .....it can get pretty gritty.(and make sure you have an extra set of sheets, greyhounds seem to do a good job stepping in poop and getting it all over the blankets/sheets!

your dog will figure out what he needs and let you know. just go with the flow and enjoy.

Edited by cleptogrey

• 2 weeks later...

We've had our boy in his own bed right next to us in our bedroom from day 1. The first few nights (tops 3) my husband did have to sleep on the floor with him so he knew he wasn't alone, but its been 2 years now and no complaints. Every so often he wants to sleep with us and we usually allow it until we've run out of room (he's a very big dog lol). The attachment thing is a separate issue, when we first got Steven he was under our feet 24/7 and now he's always near by but he likes his space too, so that just takes time. Also there are tons of times when i wish he'd hop on the bed and he's not in anyway interested, he likes his bed!