Protecting His Brother

More of a question than an issue. Whenever we are at the park, Charlie will stand with me and do as I do, watch his little galgo brother. He will of course sniff around and play but he mostly watch with me.

Zorro loves to run, so he runs and runs, but once in a while he stops to catch his breath and the other dogs catch up to him and play bow or whatever. Whenever one of them puts a paw on Zorro to invite him to play, Charlie jumps forward and bark until he/she stops. He doesn't seem aggressive or anything. He will bark when playing too.

Charlie is not a barker, not at all. Is he protecting his brother? Has anyone seen anything like it?

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

What is Zorro's body language and posture, ideally before Charlie starts barking? Is he reacting appropriately? Anxiously? Happily? to the fact that another dog is engaging with him? Zorro seems like a pretty well adjusted galgo, but there could always be something in his background which makes him uncomfortable, I suppose. And in turn, Charlie picks up on that uncomfortableness and reacts to it.

Does Charlie bark *only* when another dog touches Zorro? Does he bark at play bows, or other invitations to play? Does he bark at all dogs or just small/large/black spotted dogs? Does he attempt to chase to other dogs away?

I guess I'm wondering if he's being protective or just the "fun police?" Our Toni was fine with other dogs playing but she really got worked up if they started playing together. :dunno

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Not with Greys, but with my Black Lab. She would sit quietly off to the side while the Pointer and Chow/GSD mix sniffed around or played with their individual toys. The minute they would interact with each other and begin to play, she would bark at them until they stopped.

I just thought she was a grump and didn't like fun. :dunno

Miss Noo Carol

Zorro is usually standing tall, tail up up up ears perked, you know, the kind of body language right before someone zooms off and they start running? It usually happens in the middle of Zorro playing with another dog. (Chase, stop and stare, playbow, chase again)

Charlie does it even when Zorro plays with other greys, I suppose he could maybe want to join in the fun? He is pretty awkward to be honest, he might just not know how to react to that moment before play?

He doesn't do it all the time, but it happened 2-3 times.

Or he is a fun police :lol

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

What did Capt Jack do when it was him and Charlie? I think I remember Jack being the big bro and Charlie was a bit reserved.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I think Charlie has blossomed into the "fun police" big brother! :heart

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

​I have a fun police dog. McCleary does not like it when Xavier is having fun. Not sure why, Xavier is definitely the omega dog here. McCleary will break up any fun the others are trying to have.

Sheila
Loved by

Mozart, Sherri, Xavier, McCleary, Tigger. Amelia and 2 Salukis Poppy and Zarah

I think Charlie has blossomed into the "fun police" big brother! :heart

:nod:nod:nod

Nixon was the fun policeman here. He just hated it when Ruby and Nigel did zoomies together in the yard.

He would go and nip at Ruby on the scruff of her neck. I always had to be the yard monitor and shut the playtime down.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg